Jamestown Waterfowl Area

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am

mudpack wrote:Hmmmmmm..... If the guy had taken his barking dog out of the marsh, straight to his vet, and had the dog put to sleep, would you still be all forming up in a lynch mob? His dog, his property. He has some rights of ownership, does he not?
If he'd broken the law, wouldn't the warden have arrested him instead of just saying "the man took care of the dog"?

I know how we all feel about our hunting dogs, but a dog is an animal just like a steer or chicken....and we eat them!
Granted, there were other, more politically correct, ways of dealing with a barking dog issue, but he had the right to choose which one to utilize. Have a great day! :biggrin:

I agree
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm

mudpack wrote:Hmmmmmm..... If the guy had taken his barking dog out of the marsh, straight to his vet, and had the dog put to sleep, would you still be all forming up in a lynch mob? His dog, his property. He has some rights of ownership, does he not?
If he'd broken the law, wouldn't the warden have arrested him instead of just saying "the man took care of the dog"?

I know how we all feel about our hunting dogs, but a dog is an animal just like a steer or chicken....and we eat them!
Granted, there were other, more politically correct, ways of dealing with a barking dog issue, but he had the right to choose which one to utilize. Have a great day! :biggrin:

Shoot a dog in front of me just because the dog is barking either on public or private property and we are going to have issues, whether the dog is mine, yours or someone elses.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 pm

TomKat wrote:TBS,

I think you are over reacting a bit. I understand where you are coming from, but its still the best game around :thumbsup:

The glass is half full. Chin up

All I can tell you is that I am out there nearly 70 days each and every season.....and have been for years. I can tell you first hand the number of duck hunters on public waters had tremendously increased and places that were rarely pressured in years past are filled with hunters. Many reasons exist, but the internet reports are a big part of it.

I will admit, I am selfish. I want to decoy mallards down to the water on a consistent basis. I want to "work" birds with the call and have had success doing so for many years. But when hunters are set up on all 4 sides of you and birds are getting pounded at from sunrise to sunset 7 days per week, the traditionalist style of hunting has begun to fade away.....and all that is left is glorified pass shooting.

I'm well aware of the fact that I will probably have to lease or buy land to do that in the future.....oh well, it was fun while it lasted!
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 pm

TBS wrote:
radfordc wrote:What a great weekend of hunting. Saturday afternoon the teal were everywhere and they were flying good again this morning. Not many big ducks yet...my buddy did kill a widgeon.

I completely respect your opinion, and I understand you had a good time this weekend. However, I prefer to "decoy" ducks and there was very little of that happening this weekend. Pass shooting is more of a "dove hunting experience" IMO......either way, by Sunday morning 90% of the birds left prior to sunrise. They are already showing the signs of overpressure........too many hunters and too much pressure equals reduced hunting opportunities in my book.....atleast for those of us who like to set up a spread and call ducks into the hole....I saw more skybusting and cripples this weekend than I can ever recall.....what a shame :no: .........Either way, it is public hunting and that is just the way it is, we can either accept it, or find something else to do, because KS wetlands are going to be VERY crowded this year. And, with the new influence of the dept of tourism on KDWP, coupled with the current governor's policies, we will probably never again have public waterfowling opportunities like we did 10 years ago. Guess I'm just sad to see it go :crying:

I don't think we are too far removed from having a draw system in KS. As hunter numbers continue to rise and public water access continues to decline, I see no other solution for the long term.

You're right about it being tough to decoy birds when there are lots of other hunters around. But we knew that going in. Sat afternoon was mostly passing shots at teal and with the wind up their butts my shooting was less than stellar. Sun morning the marsh was full of hunters but the closest group to us was over 300 yards away. The shooting was a mix of pass shots and birds over the decoys.

Monday morning turned into one of the best hunts I've ever had. There were exactly 4 hunters in the whole marsh...Steve and I and two other guys hunting together. After witnessing one of the most beautiful sunrises ever, the next two hours were classic ducks flaring over the dekes kind of shooting. The first group of ducks in were about 20 gadwalls that responded to Steve's calling and came in wings cupped and feet down. Three of them didn't leave. In addition to the gaddies we got 2 ringnecks, 3 pintails, and the 4 bluewings. Not a passing shot in the bunch. We ended up with 24 ducks taken in 3 hunts.

I've hunted public marshes in Kansas for over 25 years and the worst crowding I experienced was in the late 80's. Opening weekend and some other weekends early in the season can be really crowded, but mostly I just don't find enough other hunters to bother me.

Charlie
Attachments
sunrise.JPG
radfordc
hunter

Postby sylvanwilson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm

TBS...I am right there with you. I chose not to go to Jamestown over the weekend for the very reasons you state.
I certainly have not hunted as many days as you per season, but have hunted there for over 25-30 years...it has changed greatly -- the habitat is certainly better with all the work that the local KDWP guys and DU have done. I did hunt a few days during teal season. There were many folks during the week.
I have to share a story that happend to me mid-week of this teal season at Jamestown. One evening mid week, I was out there scouting and observed college aged guys out in the marsh and believe me if it was under the sun, they shot at it. Shot at a number of "crested-teal" (woodies) -- luckily they were not successful with that.
Had a bite to eat then headed into Con -- had my boat on back and these guys we following me -- stopped at the convenience store to fill gas...here they come -- wanting to know how I did. Little did they know I had observed them, so was not too impressed. The 2 guys got out of their truck with their chest puffed out, the latest camo patern, with calls around their necks, with face paint on, doing their best to be Foiles clones (this was 9 pm at night!!!). They had to tell me how they decoyed their limit. Hell, they never decoyed a bird, and scratched out a pair of birds...at least that is what I saw....of course the birds were 70yds++. Don't know if they even looked for them as they fell a ways away.
All I could think was what a bunch of douch bags -- they have no clue what this sport is about or what it takes. They think they do -- whooping and hollering when a stray pellet hit an 80 yard teal. They have been mentored by the likes of the "pro-staff" they see in videos.
I guess I should take the high road to mentor guys like this...just don't know if I could handle it.
I'm sure they were good kids -- just very mis-guided in what the think waterfowling is.

I am sad about the fact of what the waterfowling industry and the internet has done to our sport.

I'll keep doing what I do, but seeing some of this stuff just makes you shake your head!!

Sylvan
sylvanwilson
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

As long as the early zone boundaries remain as they are, the 3 or 4 major public marshes in that zone will always be overcrowded. Unless you're a deer or turkey hunter there is nothing else to hunt in October except ducks in the early zone. Add in the out of staters with lots of time and cash on their hands and you have too many people on these areas. I've pretty much thrown in the towel on early zone duck hunting in this state as pass shooting a limit of duck is no longer a rewarding experience for me. If they ever decide to go back to just two zones (high plains and low plains) and spread out the hunters, I might try it again.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm

sylvanwilson wrote:TBS...I am right there with you. I chose not to go to Jamestown over the weekend for the very reasons you state.
I certainly have not hunted as many days as you per season, but have hunted there for over 25-30 years...it has changed greatly -- the habitat is certainly better with all the work that the local KDWP guys and DU have done. I did hunt a few days during teal season. There were many folks during the week.
I have to share a story that happend to me mid-week of this teal season at Jamestown. One evening mid week, I was out there scouting and observed college aged guys out in the marsh and believe me if it was under the sun, they shot at it. Shot at a number of "crested-teal" (woodies) -- luckily they were not successful with that.
Had a bite to eat then headed into Con -- had my boat on back and these guys we following me -- stopped at the convenience store to fill gas...here they come -- wanting to know how I did. Little did they know I had observed them, so was not too impressed. The 2 guys got out of their truck with their chest puffed out, the latest camo patern, with calls around their necks, with face paint on, doing their best to be Foiles clones (this was 9 pm at night!!!). They had to tell me how they decoyed their limit. Hell, they never decoyed a bird, and scratched out a pair of birds...at least that is what I saw....of course the birds were 70yds++. Don't know if they even looked for them as they fell a ways away.
All I could think was what a bunch of douch bags -- they have no clue what this sport is about or what it takes. They think they do -- whooping and hollering when a stray pellet hit an 80 yard teal. They have been mentored by the likes of the "pro-staff" they see in videos.
I guess I should take the high road to mentor guys like this...just don't know if I could handle it.
I'm sure they were good kids -- just very mis-guided in what the think waterfowling is.

I am sad about the fact of what the waterfowling industry and the internet has done to our sport.

I'll keep doing what I do, but seeing some of this stuff just makes you shake your head!!

Sylvan

Agreed. I could tell you a dozen stories very similar to that. It's not that we shouldn't want to get new faces into the sport, its more about the manner in which we.do it. The internet and industry prostaffers are hardly the role models young waterfowlers should be looking up to. Unfortunately that is exactly who is reaching them these days.
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm

gooshnr wrote:As long as the early zone boundaries remain as they are, the 3 or 4 major public marshes in that zone will always be overcrowded. Unless you're a deer or turkey hunter there is nothing else to hunt in October except ducks in the early zone. Add in the out of staters with lots of time and cash on their hands and you have too many people on these areas. I've pretty much thrown in the towel on early zone duck hunting in this state as pass shooting a limit of duck is no longer a rewarding experience for me. If they ever decide to go back to just two zones (high plains and low plains) and spread out the hunters, I might try it again.

That is a very good point and I agree with you. However, over the past 3 seasons I've encountered as many or more hunters on late season wetlands during the middle of the week as I have during early zone weekends. There are just more waterfowlers in Ks than ever before and we don't have enough public wetlands to allow for quality opportunities like in years past.
TBS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 am

TBS wrote:We may have fewer resident hunters than previous years, but the growing number of non-residents is more than making up the difference. ... The large influx of non-resident hunters coupled with the increase in resident hunters switching to waterfowl from upland, along with the drought conditions combined have created a situation of extreme competition for a VERY limited resource.....KS public wetlands.

You are quite right, TBS. I was neglecting to take into account the influx of OOS waterfowlers. You got me there.... :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 am

Its just like any other kind of hunting, you have to work at it and get away from the crowds to make it enjoyable. Do you really think on opening day of duck season that you can walk 100 yards out on a public marsh and have the whole marsh to yourself?
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Its just like any other kind of hunting, you have to work at it and get away from the crowds to make it enjoyable.

I absolutely understand that, and up until the last 3-4 years was successful in doing so. Not anymore. It seems these days everybody has a mudmotor, boat, and/or layout. Guys are camping out for weeks at a time and hunting every single day from sunrise to sunset. The birds never get a rest! I can remember when hunting during the weekdays provided some relief, but last year according to my daily hunt log, we encountered MORE hunting parties during the week than on the weekends! We also keep a log on how many non-residents we see hunting on the areas we frequent.....last year's count........39 different states! Believe me, I am no stranger to long drives and off the beaten path hunting spots. But places that held birds and few hunters are a thing of the past now that KDWP$T has decided to post bird counts on the internet....and not just conservative estimates, but rediculously inflated numbers that are nothing but obvious efforts to attract hunters from OOS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put forth a whine session about OOS'ers.....They have just as much right to hunt public property as the rest of us. I just don't personally believe our state government should be using tax dollars to promote and market KS hunting to the rest of the nation without giving those of us who live here and pay the taxes a fair shake.

goodkarmarising wrote:Do you really think on opening day of duck season that you can walk 100 yards out on a public marsh and have the whole marsh to yourself?

I certainly do not, and don't recall any comment by any poster on this thread that would suggest otherwise. What is your point?
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 pm

TBS wrote: I can remember when hunting during the weekdays provided some relief, but last year according to my daily hunt log, we encountered MORE hunting parties during the week than on the weekends! We also keep a log on how many non-residents we see hunting on the areas we frequent.....last year's count........39 different states!

Man, that is crazy! I've hunted Kansas since 1984 and have never experienced that.
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm

TBS wrote: It seems these days everybody has a mudmotor, boat, and/or layout.

I have a boat/mud motor, but I use it to get away from other hunters. Compared to when I could only walk into marshes, I can now get to out of the way spots that don't see a lot of pressure. If the marsh is crowded I go to the lake...if the lake is busy I go to the river....if the river is crowded...wait a minute, the river is never crowded.
radfordc
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:19 pm

radfordc wrote:

I have a boat/mud motor, but I use it to get away from other hunters. Compared to when I could only walk into marshes, I can now get to out of the way spots that don't see a lot of pressure. If the marsh is crowded I go to the lake...if the lake is busy I go to the river....if the river is crowded...wait a minute, the river is never crowded.

I hate to differ, but.........

If you've hunted the Kansas River anywhere east of Manhattan during the late season, I know you've come across other hunters. Last time we hunted there we were 1 of 4 groups along less than a mile stretch.

If you've ever hunted the Arkansas River south of Hutch, then you also know it gets heavily pressured. We have a 500hp airboat that we unloaded about 10 miles SE of Hutch and drove all the way to the I-235 bridge in Wichita. We counted 31 different groups of hunters along that stretch of river. I'd say there was a group of hunters atleast ever 1/4 mile and in some places within 250 yds. Not that I think that is too close for safety purposes, but birds get mighty educated with hunters on every single bend and sandbar.

If you are hunting any other river, then you are hunting private land and that is the only thing left that goes unmolested.....enjoy it while it lasts, because sooner or later someone with deeper pockets will lease it out from under you.
TBS
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Have you ever hunted out of state tbs?
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby sylvanwilson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

I think many of us have hunted out of state and out of the country, and some states there is more pressure... and some not as much.
I believe what we are all lamenting is what Kansas was...and really not that long ago it was a gem and the "best keep secret"! But unfortunately with all the internet reports, the videos of industry gurus hunting off of Kansas feedlots :-) & the like, guys pumping their chests trying to let the world know how many birds they killed(little **** syndrom I guess)...that is no longer the case.

We'll see what happens in the next few years. I would not be surprised that if the drought continues to move north AND commodity prices stay high -- we'll see a 2 duck 45 day season...sooner rather than later. The Mississippi Flyway will have even fewer days.
There is more plowing and draining of native prairie and crp in the Dakotas going on right now than probably the last 30 years.

Most of these "so called waterfowlers" don't know what a "restrictive season package" is like -- I would guess that 10% or less know what it is like. Because of the water conditions, conservation efforts, and crp in the breeding grounds, the "liberal season package" has been in effect since the early 90's. Seems like about 92/93 season.

I hate to say it...but a restrictive season package for a few years may be what we need to thin out the ranks.

Sylvan
sylvanwilson
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm

TBS wrote:I hate to differ, but.........

If you've hunted the Kansas River anywhere east of Manhattan during the late season, I know you've come across other hunters. Last time we hunted there we were 1 of 4 groups along less than a mile stretch.

Have I seen other hunters...sure. Have I seen 4 groups on the same day...I don't think so.
radfordc
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 am

Thedozer wrote:Have you ever hunted out of state tbs?

Sure. I lived in Memphis for 5 years and during my time there hunted TN, AR, and MS. I also lived in OK for a season and hunted there a few times. I did hunt NE once on an invite from a buddy. Two years ago we took a trip up to Canada for a 3 day hunt.....but I didn't care for it. We killed tons of birds, but it wasn't hunting....more like shooting fish in a barrel.

But, to answer your question, yes I have hunted out of state. Why do you ask?
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

sylvanwilson wrote:I think many of us have hunted out of state and out of the country, and some states there is more pressure... and some not as much.
I believe what we are all lamenting is what Kansas was...and really not that long ago it was a gem and the "best keep secret"! But unfortunately with all the internet reports, the videos of industry gurus hunting off of Kansas feedlots :-) & the like, guys pumping their chests trying to let the world know how many birds they killed(little **** syndrom I guess)...that is no longer the case.

We'll see what happens in the next few years. I would not be surprised that if the drought continues to move north AND commodity prices stay high -- we'll see a 2 duck 45 day season...sooner rather than later. The Mississippi Flyway will have even fewer days.
There is more plowing and draining of native prairie and crp in the Dakotas going on right now than probably the last 30 years.

Most of these "so called waterfowlers" don't know what a "restrictive season package" is like -- I would guess that 10% or less know what it is like. Because of the water conditions, conservation efforts, and crp in the breeding grounds, the "liberal season package" has been in effect since the early 90's. Seems like about 92/93 season.

I hate to say it...but a restrictive season package for a few years may be what we need to thin out the ranks.

Sylvan

Excellent post Sylvan. I couldn't agree more, you are correct on all accounts.
TBS
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 am

TBS wrote:
radfordc wrote:

If you are hunting any other river, then you are hunting private land and that is the only thing left that goes unmolested.....enjoy it while it lasts, because sooner or later someone with deeper pockets will lease it out from under you.

What a terrible picture of gloom you paint. I have hunted the river for 5 years straight and never seen a single hunter not in my party.

TBS, your solution is to start hunting in Canada, away from all other humans.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby duckdozer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:34 am

TomKat wrote:
TBS wrote:
radfordc wrote:

What a terrible picture of gloom you paint. I have hunted the river for 5 years straight and never seen a single hunter not in my party.

You guys would be wise to quit talking about it on here unless you want everyone that reads this stepping in on you. While none of us are scouting others might be.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 am

TomKat wrote:
TBS wrote:
radfordc wrote:

I find it amazing that you have not come across another hunter on the Kansas River in 5 years! Its been a couple years since I've hunted it due to multiple reasons, but the last time we were there, we had to deal with college kids up river and down river trying to see who could skybust the highest flock of geese.

I'm not trying to paint a picture of gloom.....just hopefully bring some awareness to those who think "everything is fine." Those of you who hunt public will soon learn as I have that over-pressure creates a decline in quality opportunities. If it hasn't happned yet, then just wait, It eventually will. Just like Sylvan posted, we've had it pretty good for many years, but now things are changing. We can't rightfully claim public property as our own, but we sure can oppose KDWP$T policies and agencies that seek to stab residents who are forced to compete for access in the back. The case I'm trying to make is that KS should "manage" its resources, not "pimp" them to the highest bidder. States like North and South Dakota have set models that maintain quality opportunities for both resident and non-resident hunters. They set limits on the number of non-resident permits they sell, but charge a price for non-resident licenses that generates 3X the revenue KS sales do. Kansas basically gives them away. Despite having millions more pheasants than KS ever has, SD set the limit at 3 birds per day, and end LST in the early afternoon. KS policies have little to no consideration for the resource. They only serve to sell more licenses and tags in an attempt to generate more revenue. In some counties, the whitetail deer herd is becoming genetically extinct. Too many young bucks are being taken by antler hunters and not enough does are being taken to offset the trend.......but KS keeps selling those tags OTC to get more hunters in KS. Internet reports for waterfowl are outrageously over-estimated in attempts to bring folks here.....just last season I spoke with a group of 4 guys that drove from S. Carolina because the saw on the internet that a particular area had 50K mallards! Boy were they PO'd to get there and find out it was a lie. I'm not anti-OOSer. Not the least bit. What I am concerned about is KS's abuse of wildlife resources that if continued and marketed agressively may eventually destroy what we once had.

Like I said before, I'm out there 70 days per season and keep a daily journal/log. I can tell you the competition on public wetlands has EXPLODED in the past 3 years. If you think I'm just blowing smoke, then so be it. But don't be surprised one day when we say, "I told you so."

If anyone is interested, a few of us have started working on a Kansas Sportsman's Association designed to unite resident huters of all types in an attempt to create a voice in Topeka that helps to promote the interests of resident hunters. Currently, the only lobby in Topeka is the business lobby that focus' on the sale of KS outdoor resources without much consideration for those of us who live here.
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 am

duckdozer wrote:You guys would be wise to quit talking about it on here unless you want everyone that reads this stepping in on you. While none of us are scouting others might be.

10-4. That is obvious, all one needs to do is watch the bottom of the page during duck season. It will list members viewing forum and guests......the number of guests that watch this forum skyrockets during the season. They are watching and waiting for someone to come on here and brag about shooting a limit or posting a picture.

The internet is not a place to disclose information about hunting spots. However, it is a place to discuss issues facing our sport and our interests.
TBS
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

TBS wrote: Guys are camping out for weeks at a time and hunting every single day from sunrise to sunset. The birds never get a rest! I can remember when hunting during the weekdays provided some relief, but last year according to my daily hunt log, we encountered MORE hunting parties during the week than on the weekends!

So its ok for you to hunt during the weekdays but not anyone else? Show some consistancy.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TBS » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm

T Man wrote:
TBS wrote: Guys are camping out for weeks at a time and hunting every single day from sunrise to sunset. The birds never get a rest! I can remember when hunting during the weekdays provided some relief, but last year according to my daily hunt log, we encountered MORE hunting parties during the week than on the weekends!

So its ok for you to hunt during the weekdays but not anyone else? Show some consistancy.

You are completely missing the point. I'm not argueing whether or not other hunters have the right to camp out or hunt during the week......I'm saying the state of KS and our elected officials should give their own residents a fair shake........like other states have successfully done. I've given examples and adequate explanation if you care to read the thread.

Those of you who are trying to make this about hating OOS'ers or other duck hunters are letting the "real" issue fly right over your head!
TBS
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting