question for you more experienced goose hunters

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

question for you more experienced goose hunters

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I have only been hunting geese since '05 and I hunt an area where we only see 20 -100 geese a day so I have a lot to learn about geese, but I did manage to knock down a couple today. I probably have killed around 60 geese in the last 7 years so I haven't seen alot of dead geese but this one today I thought was kinda cool. It had a white ring at the base of its black neck. It this common? I am wondering how many of you have seen this before? I am thinking maybe as they age they start to get some white feathers there? Kinda like how the muzzle of a dog develops white with age. Any thoughts or anecdotes would be appreciated.

I hope these pics show what I am talking about
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: question for you more experienced goose hunters

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes I have seen the white ring several times however it is not real common. There is a subspecies of canada geese that have this ring. I cant remember the name but they are declining in numbers. I am guessing it was a rather small goose? All of the geese I have shot or seem like this are small birds typically only 4 to 6 pounds?
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 am

That is nothing more than a luecistic patch on an otherwise VERY COMMON goose. All it is is a patch of feathers with no melanin in them. Think of it as a pie bald deer where the brown body has patches of white. Same thing. It isn't some mythical sub-species of goose. :no:
Last edited by dsm16428 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm

dsm16428 wrote:That is nothing more than a luecistic patch on an otherwise VERY COMMON goose. All it is is a patch of feathers with no melanin in them. Think of it as a pie bald deer where the brown body has patches of white. Same thing. It isn't some wythical sub-species of goose. :no:

I would really suggest you do some research before you decide to put you 2 cents in. That is completely false. That is in no form of a luecistic quality :no:

It is no more then a subspecies of canada goose that is common. They are called aleutian canada geese.

http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/Cana ... ecies.html

A distinguishing character of the Aleutian Canada Goose is a broad white band that extends completely around the base of the neck between the black neck and gray breast; a few adults and many juveniles lack the
complete neck ring. Small goose weighing about 5 pounds.Has a high, abrupt forehead that results from enlargement of the supraorbital salt gland in response to consumption of salt water
by this coastal bird.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:04 pm

wtrfwl havoc wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:That is nothing more than a luecistic patch on an otherwise VERY COMMON goose. All it is is a patch of feathers with no melanin in them. Think of it as a pie bald deer where the brown body has patches of white. Same thing. It isn't some wythical sub-species of goose. :no:

I would really suggest you do some research before you decide to put you 2 cents in. That is completely false. That is in no form of a luecistic quality :no:

It is no more then a subspecies of canada goose that is common. They are called aleutian canada geese.

A distinguishing character of the Aleutian Canada Goose is a broad white band that extends completely around the base of the neck between the black neck and gray breast; a few adults and many juveniles lack the
complete neck ring. Small goose weighing about 5 pounds.Has a high, abrupt forehead that results from enlargement of the supraorbital salt gland in response to consumption of salt water
by this coastal bird.

huh.. might want to take your own advice... that is in no way shape or form and aleutian..

to the op.. while it is not common, it is not exactly rare either.. just a color variation usually found in resident greaters.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:12 pm

wtrfwl havoc wrote:

by this coastal bird.

You show me an Aleutian goose taken in NEW HAMPSHIRE and I'll show you my full body Bigfoot mount. :fingerhead: Who's 2 cents is worth more now? :hi:
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:23 pm

dsm16428 wrote:
wtrfwl havoc wrote:

by this coastal bird.

You show me an Aleutian goose taken in NEW HAMPSHIRE and I'll show you my full body Bigfoot mount. :fingerhead: Who's 2 cents is worth more now? :hi:

I dont know where he shot it, and I wasnt saying it was an alleutian either. It can be found on some of the bigger geese aswell.Hince the reason I asked about the size. I was however saying. That is in no way shape or form a product of leucism. I just gave you a quick link to show you there are subspecies that have the white ring around its neck. The alleutian was just the first link I see. I put the link to show you I wasnt making up some "mythical" goose there are a couple different subspecies that are known to have the white ring. I wasnt implying it was an alleutian. I was just responding to your retarded "mythical goose" garbage.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 pm

I've shot a goose with a very defined whiter ring around the base of the neck, like a mallard. All it is is a sub species of a Canada goose.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Retarded now is it? Do some research too huh? You want to make stuff personal and start throwing insults, I'll leave you crying in your computer chair, sucking your thumb and crying for your momma. My "research" comes from almost 30 years of goose hunting there champ. I also know how to read because if you look at his LOCATION, he lives in NH. Not a lot of aleutians around NH now is there? Look up the word leucistic. You might learn something. You call taking the first google hit and posting it as doing research?? Get real. The white ring DOES NOT automatically dispose a bird to be any member of a sub species or related to any bird other than theregular ole' canada goose. It is a lack of pigment and had it have been anywhere else on the bird's body, it would mean the same thing...melanistic patch. Bye bye now. :hi:
Last edited by dsm16428 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:15 pm

shootable Goose wrote:I've shot a goose with a very defined whiter ring around the base of the neck, like a mallard. All it is is a sub species of a Canada goose.

x2
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:30 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Retarded now is it? Do some research too huh? You want to make stuff personal and start throwing insults, I'll leave you crying in your computer chair, sucking your thumb and crying for your momma. My "research" comes from almost 30 years of goose hunting there champ. I also know how to read because if you look at his LOCATION, he lives in NH. Not a lot of aleutians around NH now is there? You call taking the first google hit and posting it as doing research?? Get real. The white ring DOES NOT automatically dispose a bird to be any member of a sub species or related to any bird other than theregular ole' canada goose. It is a lack of pigment and had it have been anywhere else on the bird's body, it would mean the same thing...melanistic patch. Bye bye now. :hi:

haha woah there killer. Trust me you wont leave me crying lol. You think your the only one that has many years of hunting under your belt? I know in my many years of hunting I have seen several like this. It is nothing more then some subspecies of the canda goose. But yes it is still a canada goose nothing special about it
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Retarded now is it? Do some research too huh? You want to make stuff personal and start throwing insults, I'll leave you crying in your computer chair, sucking your thumb and crying for your momma. My "research" comes from almost 30 years of goose hunting there champ. I also know how to read because if you look at his LOCATION, he lives in NH. Not a lot of aleutians around NH now is there? Look up the word leucistic. You might learn something. You call taking the first google hit and posting it as doing research?? Get real. The white ring DOES NOT automatically dispose a bird to be any member of a sub species or related to any bird other than theregular ole' canada goose. It is a lack of pigment and had it have been anywhere else on the bird's body, it would mean the same thing...melanistic patch. Bye bye now. :hi:

Oh and I dont need to look it up. I have spent countless hours researching leucism, and have talked to some very well respected wildlife biologist from all over the country about it. It just so happens I have what they have reason to believe is a leucistic canda goose mounted sitting on my mantle.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Not to stir the pot here but this bird was shot in VT, I could see NH from where it was shot. Also it was the biggest bird taken that day. I would guess around a 9 or 10 pound bird. Didn't weigh it though. But the biggest goose I have weighed only weighed 11.5 pounds so I am guessing based off of that it was in the 9-10 lb range. Because it was the biggest goose shot that day I wondered if it was older and developed the white with age. But no worries, its not a rare occurrence so I am not too worked up over it.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am

Its a goose with some white feathers. Cool trait, but nothing more. We see neck rings on greaters, lessers, hutchies, etc. From time to time.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tilley » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

Have seen lots of them. Cool but not really rare.
tilley
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 am

tornadochaser wrote:Its a goose with some white feathers. Cool trait, but nothing more. We see neck rings on greaters, lessers, hutchies, etc. From time to time.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.

tilley wrote:Have seen lots of them. Cool but not really rare.

both of these. Ive got a pic with one i killed that had a perfectly even ring at the base of the neck, cool but no biggie.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm

All categories of Canada's can develop this, it's not that rare. It's either a lesser or a greater. If it 9-10 pounds its a greater.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby noweil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

I see it pretty commonly on geese we kill. Sometimes they have white flecking on the edge of the wings also. We killed a goose with a white forehead last year, the year before I shot 2 Quill Lake Canada geese. You keep hunting and you will see more white rings on the neck.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys!
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum