Hunting in strong winds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hunting in strong winds

Postby marsh_man » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey guys im just wondering if you guys do anything diffrently when its really windy out? Whether it be calling or changes to the decoys. Any info would be appreciated.
marsh_man
hunter

Re: Hunting in strong winds

Postby bobalong » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Take more ammo because the shooting is usually some of the best you will get, at least that has been my experience. I don't do anything different with the setup. Probably call and flag less, as the birds seem to be on a string when the wind is howling.
bobalong
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

Blinds closer to the front of the spread and high pitched calls.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Spent weeks hunting 60 MPH winds last year. Face your dekes into the wind. One right behind the other Run em long and narrow in a V.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Depends...if you found the field you are gona hunt and the wind was screaming ..then I would try and mimic the birds exactly as they were in that field at that time. If you found a feed and the wind was calmer, and the day you hunt its now screaming...well, we usualy trya nd find a mound or hill in that field where we can get on the leeward side and set teh decoys trailing down that side a ways and then losely into the wind. Put a few up close to the top of the mound, but pack them a bit tighter than usual as well witha very well defined landing area directly to the front of our blinds.
tbossart
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum