Upper Potomac

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Re: Upper Potomac

Postby BigTerp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am

PSUbuzz wrote:The group of islands youre referring to is known by park police as "Potomac Shores". Its a bunch of lawyers, they hunt, and they own the private islands and are very very particular about people trespassing on their land if they catch you. From what I have been told, the islands with blue/purple paint on the trees and rocks are private, and they own the bottom of the river on that stretch also. Not the water running through it, and thats how the tubers get through there all summer. But if you anchor up, tie off, or get out of your boat and wade or do anything but float, they can bust you. It is a really odd place to be privatized, I agree. It is a lot like the private island down on the river by McKees also, Its the middle of the river that is the potomac which is public. But they own the islands, and the one by McKees has a cabin on it, and I know at Potomac shores, there is houses on both sides just inside the woods owned by the lawyers that are their "cabins". How "occupied" they are is differing.

But I have heard they have park police on speed dial and if they catch anyone on their islands, they are buddy buddy with judges and prosecute trespassers hard. Thats what I have heard, and I just stay out of the area, not worth getting some lawyers panties in a bunch over a hunt and winding up getting tied up in court to fight with them. I know all of this because when I first got back to MD after college I tried to hunt that area and found all of this out the hard way by the way. Those clowns don't like guys that try to play dumb either :biggrin:

Which group of islands/area are you referring to?
BigTerp
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:The group of islands youre referring to is known by park police as "Potomac Shores". Its a bunch of lawyers, they hunt, and they own the private islands and are very very particular about people trespassing on their land if they catch you. From what I have been told, the islands with blue/purple paint on the trees and rocks are private, and they own the bottom of the river on that stretch also. Not the water running through it, and thats how the tubers get through there all summer. But if you anchor up, tie off, or get out of your boat and wade or do anything but float, they can bust you. It is a really odd place to be privatized, I agree. It is a lot like the private island down on the river by McKees also, Its the middle of the river that is the potomac which is public. But they own the islands, and the one by McKees has a cabin on it, and I know at Potomac shores, there is houses on both sides just inside the woods owned by the lawyers that are their "cabins". How "occupied" they are is differing.

But I have heard they have park police on speed dial and if they catch anyone on their islands, they are buddy buddy with judges and prosecute trespassers hard. Thats what I have heard, and I just stay out of the area, not worth getting some lawyers panties in a bunch over a hunt and winding up getting tied up in court to fight with them. I know all of this because when I first got back to MD after college I tried to hunt that area and found all of this out the hard way by the way. Those clowns don't like guys that try to play dumb either :biggrin:

Thought the river bottom was ok? They own that? Thought that was only on rivers like the monocacy in that area of the state?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

fred/wash county line upriver to the bridge that crosses over to harpers ferry is theirs. They even have a permanent blind up there. If you'd like to call me a liar or wrong, hop in thaeir blind on a opening split or any Saturday. Let me know how it goes... just trying to save you boys some trouble. Bottom and all is theirs on that stretch and they are cranky when someone else shoots within ear shot of them
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby scooter1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 pm

I get that some or all of the bigger islands are privately owned. And there would be no question as to if they were public or private if they posted them. What I don't get is how in the world is one to know the river bottom is privately owned in some parts and just where those boundary lines are. Without any clear, definable marked boundary lines I guess we're supposed to pull out a crystal ball or have a run in with DNR to know? :huh:
scooter1
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm

http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/On ... 58438636c8

Wish the map would list the areas that are closed and those that are licensed separately. Very, very confusing if you ask me.

Does anyone have anything else that says areas listed or clears up Potomac bottom issues?

I also think that people just mark stuff and use the blue paint to run people off public land. I know of one area this happens for sure if this map is correct.

40 acres and a mule would simplify things. :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 am

I think that map is pretty accurate...
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby msmall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 am

Guess I'm gonna have to put my sculler in and scull that area. See if I cant get their panties in a bind!
msmall
hunter

Postby stark1728 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:06 pm

ohioboy wrote:http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/On ... 58438636c8

Wish the map would list the areas that are closed and those that are licensed separately. Very, very confusing if you ask me.

Does anyone have anything else that says areas listed or clears up Potomac bottom issues?

I also think that people just mark stuff and use the blue paint to run people off public land. I know of one area this happens for sure if this map is correct.

40 acres and a mule would simplify things. :lol3:

hey - little confused on this map - can or cannot hunt the areas marked in red?
stark1728
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 am

The red shows "Licensed areas" which means cannot hunt, unless you are the license holder.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 am

You cant hunt the islands or anchor on the bottom but the water should still be public domain ..... I was thinking about using my sculler up around that area. Ive seen the islands marked with blue paint and knew that they were off limits.
msmall
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Any red + means 250 yards distance from hunting near it. The red bottom areas might be owned river bottoms. Hunt at your own peril as they do call the "man" on areas the river bottom is owned.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:48 pm

So McKee beshers is off limits? :huh:

Map sucks.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 am

I would call Echo Lake or Cumberland and ask to talk to one of the wardens for clarifications. Most of this can be cleared up rather easily, but speaking to the man gets rid of all guessing and assumptions. :thumbsup:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:29 am

Just to add additional confusion..... When I looked at the map in question, I had always assumed that there were two shades of red. (This is due to my color blindness.) When I "hover" my cursor over an area on the map it flags it as associated with a specific blind permit number or states that it is "closed". But not closed to what? Have to assume permitting because McKee is shown as closed.
I'd be curious if anyone gets a definitive answer. I have gone on the, perhaps bad, assumption that closed means closed to permitting and is open for duck hunting.

Please correct me if I'm in violation.

Thanks and happy hunting.
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby stark1728 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:The red shows "Licensed areas" which means cannot hunt, unless you are the license holder.

That's what I thought the map said, but if so, it doesn't make any sense. If that's the case then Heater's Island, a WMA, is off limits. That can't be right.
stark1728
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Some geese were flying on the potomac today and a few mallards.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 pm

I miss seeing the divers in decent numbers. Hope they show up.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby MdMallard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:07 am

That map is not showing you what areas are open to hunting or not. I always thought it is showing what areas are available as a licensed blind site. Obviously Mckee Beshers is in the red or orange area, because you cannot register a blind site there due to it being public land.
MdMallard
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 pm

you can see the blind out straight out from weaverton, upriver a couple of hundred yards on an island. Good luck to everyone who is going out in the morning.
Skeet123
hunter

Previous

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting