qustion for field hunters

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

qustion for field hunters

Postby mergman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I have an opportunity to hunt a cornfield. I scouted it last evening and at dusk, birds started to dump into it. My schedule only allows me to hunt this location in the morning, two days from now. I am pretty new to this style of hunting ducks, so my question to you experienced field hunters is this: Is it likely that birds observed in the pm, will work the same location in the am? It would be a bummer if this field strikes out on the only morning i can use it. I would appreciate any feedback on this subject. Thank You.
mergman
Newb

Re: qustion for field hunters

Postby elfros » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 am

yep
find the area with the most dck feathers and poop and set your spread
be there early they will show up usually right at shooting time or a little before
good luck
use a spinner its deadly in the fields :hammer:
elfros
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

We haven't been seeing very strong flights in the morning in fields that have had lots of ducks in the evening, but that seems to mainly be due to temperature.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I hunt in centrall ND...we have been finding that ducks in the fileds at evening have NOT been there in the mornings. When scouting in the mornings...we have NOT found large feeds going on at all. I hunt in a part of the state where feeds of 500 up to thousands of mallards are not uncommon...and we have not found numbers like this in the morning or evenings as of yet. You have already hunted, but I thought I would simply throw this out for anyone else interested. It has been a very strange fall in terms of field hunting mallards for us...LONG ways to go though
tbossart
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting