Dirty Bird vs. Kelly Powers

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Dirty Bird vs. Kelly Powers

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Who has run both and whats your opinion? Which is better to buy if you can find them?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Re: Dirty Bird vs. Kelly Powers

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 am

Only own the Dirty Bird, which I think a sweet, easy to run little Canada call, but I suspect your answer may depend on whether you want to sound like a big goose or little goose and how hard you're willing to work at it. Know there's at least one fellow on this board who has or had both, and he'll hopefully be along to help you out.

(Do still see DBs in the classifieds fairly regularly, but doubt mine will ever be.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

I just bought a Dirty Bird a few days ago and was debating buying a Kelly Powers Too.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:I just bought a Dirty Bird a few days ago and was debating buying a Kelly Powers Too.

Rick's description is pretty much spot on. Dirty bird tuned up medium to high is a great call. The KP call is essentially a G2 (no longer made by RNT) on steroids that is made to run the medium to low scale IMHO. Much bigger bore will give a ton of volume. That said, it is a bit more difficult to blow well as it will handle all the air you can throw at it. 2 very different calls that quite honestly would compliment each other quite nicely. I've got a few of the KP's and if you're looking at the one I think you are, it is a pretty good deal. You don't see a ton of the all ivory ones around and IMO are only going to go up in price seeing as they are no longer made. My only complaint with the acrylic KP's is the lip on the barrel is a bit sharp (more so than the DB) but nothing a bit of sandpaper won't take care of.
jrode237
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am

My DB was much easier to control. I ended up giving up my kp cus when really hammering/really working it it'd get away from me n I'd get a dying deer call
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 am

I've had both. Hedge dirtybird continues to be my favorite call.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Just my opinion, but they are the two best goose calls to ever come out of that shop. The Warbird and Mongoose may be great, but to me, they are gonna have to be perfect to beat the KP and DB. I prefer the KP in hedge and the DB in acrylic. Compliment each other perfectly.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 pm

I bought a Kelly Powers and got it today. I love it. It sounds great with my Dirty Bird thanks again for all of your input.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum