Coot/ Moorhens Over populating?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Coot/ Moorhens Over populating?

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Have you guys noticed that there are alot more coots this year? I've noticed twice as many coots before the season started, than there were in the prime of last season.. How do you think these guys affect duck populations? I noticed last year that the coots pilaged alot of my holes last year, and the ducks seemed to give up in looking for food in these areas and stuck to the resevoirs. The bag limit here in California is 25, but I think it should be more. I'm not going to shoot any but I think it would be a good idea to have waterfowl biologists see how these birds might be impacting other waterfowl populations and possibly extend the seasons for those that make pet foods out of them.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Coot/ Moorhens Over populating?

Postby War Wagon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm happy to see the Coots ! That says there is good food in your area. Coots dont take food out of Divers Bills, Divers take food out of Coots Bills......Watch them its easy pickings.....Coots dont know where there food went to DAM FUNNY :lol:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 pm

I wish i had this problem... i would just buy some coot decoys and have a hay day!! If you can cook right im sure they wouldnt be half bad to eat either. According to some, their actually pretty decent... i would try them. Just no more mergansers for me!! :eek:
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:I wish i had this problem... i would just buy some coot decoys and have a hay day!! If you can cook right im sure they wouldnt be half bad to eat either. According to some, their actually pretty decent... i would try them. Just no more mergansers for me!! :eek:

My Buddies and I got on a nice little coot shoot the last year and we ate em and they were darn good!
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby greyling » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 am

They are kind of nasty little buggers especially to clean. We shot two limits last year at one time for a total of 50, we couldn't stop it was too much fun! but cleaning them for several ours after really sucked. Haven't shot one since. I don't think increasing the limit will help I think convincing people they are good is the only way to shoot more.
greyling
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology