Hunting next to Refuges, Specks

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hunting next to Refuges, Specks

Postby NorCal kid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:55 am

The rice blind I will be hunting next year is a ditch away from a large refuge. The question I had is when hunting next to somewhere that holds a lot of birds like this is it better to use more realistic decoys as the numbers wont seem to do much. I am about to purchase some FB/Floaters and feel as if there is no way I can compete with all those live birds so I should go for the quality(DSD) not the quantity(Dakota/GHG). What do you guys have luck with in these types of situations?
NorCal kid
hunter

Re: Hunting next to Refuges, Specks

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 am

I'd much rather have fewer DSDs for specks than more Dakotas or GHG. And never more than I was willing to put out and pick up every hunt, in either event. I'd want FBs appearing to enjoy easy feeding, even if I had to extend their stakes to make too deep water appear very shallow, and wouldn't spend a dime on floaters for a rice blind, as you'll probably be hunting birds coming off the refuge body(ies) to find better feed, rather than birds wanting to lay up in a safe place (which floaters appear to be doing) with the refuge birds as competition.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum