What am I doing wrong

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: What am I doing wrong

Postby marsh_man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

I also agree with what has been said and also think that you need to add some goose decoys to your spread. It will help the birds see you better and will also be a little confidence booster for those ducks. Just my opinion
marsh_man
hunter

What am I doing wrong

Postby Gizzle86 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Put the spinners right by ur layout so it takes their eyes off the layout if that could possibly be a problem. We take old decoys and attach em to stakes n stick em around our field pit. It helps ESP when they warty later on. Eye catcher is the key if money is an issue they make uv paint for them to see decoys from further and more apperant. My .02
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah I really need to get some geese where ever I hunt I think they would help and I think a lot of it has to do with my spread and consealment
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I dont think it is your spread, you should at least have some circling you and landing wide if it was your spread. They are seeing something they dont like that is telling them to not even think about it (blind sticking out, truck parked too close to field, etc), not seeing you at all, or just ignoring you becasue they know where they are going.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah no truck parked to close because I walk from my house which is way far away from where I hunt I just think my blind makes to big of a bump out there.
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 pm

My advice would be to scout around and find a different place to hunt. Ducks move. They do not feed endlessly in the same spot. May have been hunted out of that spot by others...may have moved on. You need to find some birds in a different spot. Locate exactly where they are in that field. Note the wiind direction and strength, watch from wich direction they come, HOW they appraoch, move before alnding, and then WHERE land. Then return, set up and conceal your self really well. You will figure it out, but ya gotta do the work.
tbossart
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:35 am

Traffic Hunting Geese and Ducks=Big Spread & Aggressive Calling. You wanna make it seem like to those ducks that a big push of birds just came thru and their missing out. Your blind is covered fine to. Traffic hunting is fun because well pulling birds off where they want to go is just awesome. Id follow those birds tho and see what their doing.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Previous

Return to Field Duck Hunting