New to Deer hunting

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

New to Deer hunting

Postby quackattack1991 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Alright guys, I am a long time waterfowl hunter who has just recently got into deer hunting and man am I hooked. My relatives have a lease in Arkansas that I spent the last two thanksgivings hunting and it has been a great time. Unfortunately, in 6 trips I have yet to take a deer. Last season we saw 47 doe and button bucks before sunset on the final day of the season. Long of the short, I live in Kansas and have deer fever. I have never even attempted to deer hunt here just recently have acquired access to some great private land. I do not bow hunt so I only have a week at the end of November and December to get out there with the rifle. I was hoping to get some advice from some of you experienced deer hunters.

Below is an aerial shot of two of the places that I have access to. Don't worry, I have removed all labels and streets to prevent anyone from internet scouting, etc. I am just trying to get an idea on where to set up, how to go about hunting it, and any other advice. Please remember that I am a rookie guys and any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and I'm excited to see what some of you have to say.

2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Re: New to Deer hunting

Postby USMC03-07 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Not sure of the level of advice you are seeking, but here is some generic advice that should apply. I hunt in IL w/ a shotgun b/c rifles are not allowed so tactics may be a little dif. since you should be able to take a deer at ranges out +- 350 yds. Scouting is number one, just like duck hunting. Find some high ground and sit for a few hours and just glass (obviously few days prior to season) for a while. Locate deer (pretty important) then find patterns.... where they sleep, drink, feed, travel routes etc. Wind, wind, wind. Choose hunting sites according to daily wind direction. If you hunt timber and establish routes, get a tree stand if hunting open rolling hills, spot and stalk (wind critical) or just sit and snipe one at 400 yds. You lucky son of a gun! Wish we could rifle hunt in IL could have used one a few times anyhow!
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Hard to tell from your images if crops are planted or what elevation levels and type of terrain exist, but anyhow good luck.
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Keep in mind the 3 critical things that deer and other wildlife need...food, cover and water. Like USMC mentioned do some scouting and locate signs like rubs, scrapes and trails then sit back and glass these areas (game cameras are also good). Try to find what they are feeding on and when they are feeding; what their travel routes are between bedding & feeding areas (and water sources) and use the terrain to locate funnels like ridges and creeks they use for travel routes. Do not bust bedding areas (if you flush them out you may not see them again) if you can find them but a good tactic is to set up away from them just off the paths to and from their bed to food. Another good tactic for hunting bucks is to find the does and the bucks will follow (especially in the rut).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Top left pic looks like a pond in the bottom center area of it. If it is then I would check for deer trails coming along the edge of the pond heading toward the open field. In the top right pic I would look hard at the edges of that small field that is set back in the woods off of the large field. It depends on what is planted in those fields and what type of trees are on the edges. Any old apple orchards or single trees with fruit on them or stands of oaks are great deer spots as this is what they feed on and any kind of clover,alfalfa, winter rye or wheat plantings.

Bottom pic I would def check out those rivers for deer trails along them. It looks like you have a great area to hunt and a lot of scouting to do. Good luck and stay safe.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Really appreciate the advice guys! Been seeing a lot of deer in the area and have been in the process of scouting all of it. Getting excited to see what happens next Wednesday when the season starts. Have a good one guys. Happy Thanksgiving.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Return to Big Game