New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:40 am

You got to love when you get a new call and it just what you were expecting. I asked mark to tune the call the way he runs his and this is my new favorite set up. I get the speed and crack I want for demanding calling and traffic situations. But the middle to low end is very smooth and easy for me to run, I normally have some trouble on transitioning note to note on the soft side (quiet stuff). But this call has really helped me with that. Thanks to the guys at GVCC for the fast service and sweet call.
Image
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
User avatar
Marcus Riley
hunter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: US


Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby tripleb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:34 am

I have a TripleX in acrylic and another in hedge. It is very easy to run and does have a good low end. I tuned mine just a little bit higher in pitch as that seemed to be more attractive to the local geese. But, it's still easy to get realistic low notes on it. It's a very good call.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am

That call is SICK!!!! I love my XXX, fast and nasty just the way I like it. I like that color combo to glad to see I am not the only one that orders extra reeds just in case a bubble appears during season. A guy can never to be to prepared. :beer:
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
User avatar
Fowl-Attitude
hunter
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: MT

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Nice call...are those SR03 guts?
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby tripleb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 am

mayhem96 wrote:Nice call...are those SR03 guts?


Unless he's made a change, he uses KOD's with a special reed. It's longer than the E3 or E4 reeds. The reed length isn't the critical part of the reed, it's the shape. The reed tip is very close to the shape of the wide end of E3 (narrow end of the E4), but the sides are very slightly narrower. It seems to give a better transition up and down the scale on the lower end. I've reshaped nearly all the reeds in my calls to this form, because i like to use it with the Saunders tone board and with the KOD's better than a stock E3 or E4.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 am

Sweet call and I like that color combo!! The guys at GVCC have really got the right idea, solid calls combined with outstanding service and a call maker that hunts for a living. It shows ...his calls run smooth and seem to get a better reaction from birds than any others I have tried. Just ask my buddies they are all now converted. :beer:
Doyle Tobel
hunter
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:59 am

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm

tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Nice call...are those SR03 guts?


Unless he's made a change, he uses KOD's with a special reed. It's longer than the E3 or E4 reeds. The reed length isn't the critical part of the reed, it's the shape. The reed tip is very close to the shape of the wide end of E3 (narrow end of the E4), but the sides are very slightly narrower. It seems to give a better transition up and down the scale on the lower end. I've reshaped nearly all the reeds in my calls to this form, because i like to use it with the Saunders tone board and with the KOD's better than a stock E3 or E4.


Can we get dimensions on those KOD's and reeds...JK, just messing with you tripleb :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby tripleb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Nice call...are those SR03 guts?


Unless he's made a change, he uses KOD's with a special reed. It's longer than the E3 or E4 reeds. The reed length isn't the critical part of the reed, it's the shape. The reed tip is very close to the shape of the wide end of E3 (narrow end of the E4), but the sides are very slightly narrower. It seems to give a better transition up and down the scale on the lower end. I've reshaped nearly all the reeds in my calls to this form, because i like to use it with the Saunders tone board and with the KOD's better than a stock E3 or E4.


Can we get dimensions on those KOD's and reeds...JK, just messing with you tripleb :lol3:


Actually, I did measure them. :lol3: I was curious about how wide and deep they were compared to Saunders and Edge guts as to why they ran differently .... Though I don't recall the specifics, the KOD's was a little deeper than the Saunders and both were deeper and wider than the Edge. We're talking relatively small amounts but they do make a difference in how the calls sound and how much air is required to run them. The KOD's seem to give the call a bit more "hollow" sound .... as do the Saunders red or blue guts I've used, than do the Edge guts. The Edge guts required less air and provided more of a "crack" than the other two. The Saunders guts are made from a softer plastic, while the Edge guts are comparatively hard plastic.

The KOD's worked quite well in the Triple X, but I have preferred the Saunders red guts, with the reed angle lowered a bit, in most of my other calls. I remember Trevor mentioning that putting a "glodo" design into the barrel made the call easier to blow. That may be the reason the KOD's work well in the Triple X as it has a "glodo" style barrel. The Molt Gear EX3D has a bit of "glodo" in it, though a smaller chamber than that used in the Triple X and is pretty easy to run, too.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm

tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:
tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Nice call...are those SR03 guts?


Unless he's made a change, he uses KOD's with a special reed. It's longer than the E3 or E4 reeds. The reed length isn't the critical part of the reed, it's the shape. The reed tip is very close to the shape of the wide end of E3 (narrow end of the E4), but the sides are very slightly narrower. It seems to give a better transition up and down the scale on the lower end. I've reshaped nearly all the reeds in my calls to this form, because i like to use it with the Saunders tone board and with the KOD's better than a stock E3 or E4.


Can we get dimensions on those KOD's and reeds...JK, just messing with you tripleb :lol3:


Actually, I did measure them. :lol3: I was curious about how wide and deep they were compared to Saunders and Edge guts as to why they ran differently .... Though I don't recall the specifics, the KOD's was a little deeper than the Saunders and both were deeper and wider than the Edge. We're talking relatively small amounts but they do make a difference in how the calls sound and how much air is required to run them. The KOD's seem to give the call a bit more "hollow" sound .... as do the Saunders red or blue guts I've used, than do the Edge guts. The Edge guts required less air and provided more of a "crack" than the other two. The Saunders guts are made from a softer plastic, while the Edge guts are comparatively hard plastic.

The KOD's worked quite well in the Triple X, but I have preferred the Saunders red guts, with the reed angle lowered a bit, in most of my other calls. I remember Trevor mentioning that putting a "glodo" design into the barrel made the call easier to blow. That may be the reason the KOD's work well in the Triple X as it has a "glodo" style barrel. The Molt Gear EX3D has a bit of "glodo" in it, though a smaller chamber than that used in the Triple X and is pretty easy to run, too.


Very few straight bore calls on the market that I like...Actually I only own one and that's my Black Timber Overload...Sounds like you would like our Mayhem...if your looking for a new goose call...give it a try.

I understand completely on the whole gut thing. I run a thinner reed with a Saunder's GUG and I modified the reed to fit a little better as well as adding a little special touch to the toneboard. That's actually the set that I'll be running in said Overload this year...tuned high pitched...sorry to threadjack :oops:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby tripleb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:45 am

mayhem96 wrote:
tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:
tripleb wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Nice call...are those SR03 guts?


Unless he's made a change, he uses KOD's with a special reed. It's longer than the E3 or E4 reeds. The reed length isn't the critical part of the reed, it's the shape. The reed tip is very close to the shape of the wide end of E3 (narrow end of the E4), but the sides are very slightly narrower. It seems to give a better transition up and down the scale on the lower end. I've reshaped nearly all the reeds in my calls to this form, because i like to use it with the Saunders tone board and with the KOD's better than a stock E3 or E4.


Can we get dimensions on those KOD's and reeds...JK, just messing with you tripleb :lol3:


Actually, I did measure them. :lol3: I was curious about how wide and deep they were compared to Saunders and Edge guts as to why they ran differently .... Though I don't recall the specifics, the KOD's was a little deeper than the Saunders and wider than the Edge. We're talking relatively small amounts but they do make a difference in how the calls sound and how much air is required to run them. (Edit: KOD's tone channel was .005" deeper and .015" wider. Saunders were same depth as Edge but .015" wider) The KOD's seem to give the call a bit more "hollow" sound .... as do the Saunders red or blue guts I've used, than do the Edge guts. The Edge guts required less air and provided more of a "crack" than the other two. The Saunders guts are made from a softer plastic, while the Edge guts are comparatively hard plastic.

The KOD's worked quite well in the Triple X, but I have preferred the Saunders red guts, with the reed angle lowered a bit, in most of my other calls. I remember Trevor mentioning that putting a "glodo" design into the barrel made the call easier to blow. That may be the reason the KOD's work well in the Triple X as it has a "glodo" style barrel. The Molt Gear EX3D has a bit of "glodo" in it, though a smaller chamber than that used in the Triple X and is pretty easy to run, too.


Very few straight bore calls on the market that I like...Actually I only own one and that's my Black Timber Overload...Sounds like you would like our Mayhem...if your looking for a new goose call...give it a try.

I understand completely on the whole gut thing. I run a thinner reed with a Saunder's GUG and I modified the reed to fit a little better as well as adding a little special touch to the toneboard. That's actually the set that I'll be running in said Overload this year...tuned high pitched...sorry to threadjack :oops:


I don't mind a "thread jack". Even as a kid, I've always wondered how and why things worked the way they do. I've found the more I know, the less money I'm going to waste on buying calls, sight unseen, that just don't fit me. For example, I've found that I've had my best luck in terms of ease of use and pulling geese while running traffic with a call in the 4" to 4.5" range, tuned high, to sound like geese as they are flying and as they approach others on the ground. I've got scaring in my lungs from histoplasmosis reducing my lung capacity, so I don't have a lot of air to run a call. However, I can push what I have in at a high pressure. That eliminates a lot of longer, deeper sounding calls from those that i would like.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: New Goose Call arrived and I can not be any happier!!

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 am

Doyle Tobel wrote:Sweet call and I like that color combo!! The guys at GVCC have really got the right idea, solid calls combined with outstanding service and a call maker that hunts for a living. It shows ...his calls run smooth and seem to get a better reaction from birds than any others I have tried. Just ask my buddies they are all now converted. :beer:



Yeah Doyle I have noticed more and more of the guys I hunt with using the Gander Valley calls, the XXX is really the best call I own. I still love my PCS and HYBRID but the XXX is just so fast and still goosey! Mark does run KOD guts as well as some others. I prefer the KOD guts in any call I run with his reeds.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
User avatar
Marcus Riley
hunter
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: US


Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests