Young Gun

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Young Gun

Postby kenai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 am

I am new to Montana and was hoping to learn about duck and goose hunitng opportunities. I'm a freshman at Carroll College in Helena. Oringinally I am from Oregon and have grown up hunting ducks and geese in the Northwest. Any feedback, advice, or information would be greatly appreciated. I have decent calling skills and a pretty good understanding of how to hunt birds effectively. Last fall I hunted at least twice a week from Thanksgiving through January. I'm begining to feel cooped up here at school and would love to get out and chase some birds. Hope to hear back from you guys. Thanks!

Angelo
kenai
Newb

Re: Young Gun

Postby klabrel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Plenty of opportunities around Helena for ducks and geese. Lots of water and fields in the area that birds like to use. I haven't hunted around Helena for a few years, but Lake Helena WMA use to be a good early season option before it freezes. The Missouri is a good late season option for both ducks and geese. Not too far from good spots on the other side of the mountains either (Great Falls is hard to beat for late season honkers). The Deer Lodge area isn't too far from you either. Spend some time scouting areas and knocking on doors and you will find plenty of opportunities.
klabrel
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting