Field Hunting Central ND

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field Hunting Central ND

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey has anyone else hunting in the south central area of ND found that there are not large field feeds going on mallard wise? We have been having difficulty finding large numbers of birds ( talking in the 200-330 plus range) feeding in the fields. We have found that the feeds we have find scouting in the eveings are NOT feeding in the mornings. When we scout in the mornings...simply not finding any larger feeds. I have been hunting in this area of ND for more than 25 years...this is the wierdest season EVER in this regard. We just crushed the early geese...and even then had very few local ducks in our spreads, where as in years past they pour in...just curious if anyone else in this area has noticed the same deal. I know it will get better as the numbers are there...just all hanging out on the water all day and night it seems.....
tbossart
hunter

Re: Field Hunting Central ND

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Having similar issues in SD. We have no problem finding 500 birds in a field, but they fly out 20 minutes after shooting time in the evening and feed on water in the morning.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

It is just now starting to get better. i have yet to find a large feed morning or evening. However, I have freinds who have foudnd brids that were actually back the next day in the same spot. Geese are not a problem...I am sick of shooting geese though. Just want a solid 2 hours of mallards hooked and on final approach...oh yeah, and I want that for about 2 solid weeks every day..hahahahahaha.
tbossart
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 am

Looking at the weather for saskatchewan, I think things should really get good for migration this week, and the colder weather will hopefully push the birds to start feeding in the afternoon instead of after sunset.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting