Small Spread, Lots of birds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Small Spread, Lots of birds

Postby muskyduck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

I don't field hunt to much where I am, but I do chase a lot of late season goose over water. WE don't get many opportunities where I live to field hunt, but I was lucky enough to get an opportunity this past weekend. We got our limit, but the birds just wouldn't finish and we did a lot more shooting then we would have liked. Let me paint the scene...

Wind out of the NE at 15 mph, Pouring rain, cut corn field, layout blinds facing south and 16 flocked decoys (6 full body feeders and sentrys, shells, and a few floaters mixed in) in front of us but slightly off to the left (east) and all were within 20 yds of the blinds. There were 3 of us, I was calling, my other buddy was flagging. Birds would lock in from the south in flocks of 15-30 (over 350 birds total were working the field). They came straight in but when they set wings they just glided to our right which is west of our spread giving us 30-40 yard passing shots at best.

Why wouldn't they commit? We had the blinds very well hidden and I am a proficient and confident caller. I have 4 things that I was thinking it could have been....

1. Over calling. I was loud and and aggressive as they came over the horizon. Wings locked I just gave a few clucks and growns. Should I just had stopped calling?
2. Too much or too little flagging. WE stopped flagging once the birds were committed at about 300 or so yds away.
3. Decoys. Too few possibly, or should I have had them more around the blinds or further away from the blinds.
4. Wind pushing the birds. This is what I thought was most likely. Wings were set coming straight in from 200 yds away. But the birds were coming from the south with a strong NE wind. When they ere cupped for that long, could tyhe wind have simply driffted them off to the right (west) of us? IS there any way we could have set up better for this situation?

Let's hear it. Maybe it was just bad luck, or maybe something else was wrong....
muskyduck
hunter

Re: Small Spread, Lots of birds

Postby lil_mason09 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Its really hard to say I have had this happen many time, may have needed to keep flaggin I would say it wasn't the calling or else they would have flared. Not the blinds either, the only way to fix a problem like this is if it keeps happening try to adjust your spread. Either widen you landing zone or put more decoys down wind. Ultimatly you have to adjust to the what the birds want. Hope this helps!
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby bulletman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 am

It wasn't the winds directon or fault, those birds fly where and how they want to despite the wind (unless it was hurricane force)--- they flew the way they did for a reason, they didn't like something about the set.
bulletman
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 am

Perhaps you had scouted the X in error, you were probably by 40 yds. Did you go out right after the birds left and look for fresh turds and scratches in the swath/stubble.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Gabe1Davis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 am

REM1100 wrote:Perhaps you had scouted the X in error, you were probably by 40 yds. Did you go out right after the birds left and look for fresh turds and scratches in the swath/stubble.

sounds right to me as well. i bet you could have moved a couple yards to the west and been fine. when you get geese zoned in on a field, they know what field they want and what part of the field they want. with that few dekes, you could have easily picked up and moved over a little. you might have had a group bust you while you moved, but it would have been worth it in the end for better shots. you'll get em next time man!
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

I think you needed to move. I have set up in the so called X and it just wasn't the X on the next day. They just do not always want to be where you want them. I would have moved myself. I learned along time ago if they are not coming into the sweet spot better change the set up or it will just keep on happening I usually wait for about the first 3 bunches and if they do all are doing the same thing move.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:46 pm

REM1100 wrote:Perhaps you had scouted the X in error, you were probably by 40 yds. Did you go out right after the birds left and look for fresh turds and scratches in the swath/stubble.

300 birds on a 25 acre field... Id'e say almost the whole field was the X, but I understand what your saying. Wasn't the case here.
Tons of crap on the ground where we set up. Had it scouted well. One thing I though about is we took a newb and wasn't paying attention but it is a possibility he was moving a bit. Definitely possible since he never hunted waterfowl before.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 pm

HaHa.... Blame it on the newbee!
CAM_C
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum