Pups first day!

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Pups first day!

Postby FFT » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am

After a discouraging week of upland training I grabbed digdong and headed up north for some scouting. I decided to bring 9 shells out for the walk with my pup. My hunting partner brought less than that. All hell broke loose and the dog was having a blast. We managed 6 woodies, a pair of big ducks, and a blue wing. I returned to the truck with 3 shells and one very happy 7 month pup. Easily one of my top 5 days of all time.

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1350409426928.jpg
FFT
hunter

Re: Pups first day!

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm

That is a powerful big day for the Pup.
Congrats to you both! :thumbsup:
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Not bad for a Scouting Mission! Sometimes the best things occur when you least expect them. Can't wait to meet Digdong!!! LOL :beer:
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

:thumbsup:

nice shoot!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Congrats on the pup... looks like a nice feller.

No replacement for my old lab, but I just got a dachshund pup.... cute, but a total sissy.
papageno
hunter

Postby RCO Brian » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Awsome day John! Great to see your pup is off to a great start :clapping:
Capt.Brian LaFay
RCO Brian
hunter

Postby canderso » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 pm

John- Way to go. That pup thinks you are an absolute hero now if he didn't think so before.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby remingtonman1108 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 am

Wow! Great going I am sure you are proud! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Quack Quack
remingtonman1108
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks guys. I was a bit worried as this is my 1st time training a dog. At every corner we turned I was asking the vets if Im doing things right/wrong/different, ect. Everyone tried to assure me that the dogs potential is more genetic than anything, Im not sure that was what I wanted to hear. The breeder also tried to sway me from a male because some of the german breeds are thick headed, which he was. There were plenty of times the dog was sent out to do the work and he didnt fully understand what it was, the work also interfered with what he wanted to do. Id just scratch my head and listen to what was being said.

I had also done so much bird work that obedience was becoming an issue, and nobody was shy about telling me that. As a result I was working with a nice lady who trains show dogs or some funky biz like that. I cant tell you how resistant I was to listening to a trainer who says Im holding the leash wrong and wont let me strangle the dog with it. All her work was done with a check cord and leads, f@ck it seemed like I was wasting my time. Then one day Im out at colliers and some old timer who has several great dogs under his belt laid into me about the dogs behavior. This ol' fart had a e-collar on a 12 week short hair, and here I am negotiating with a six month old dickhead about anything he didnt consider fun. The next day I ordered a collar. I come to realize that the entire time Im out at the county park walking him around like a show pony that he was listening and learning. Very rarely do I use the collar and obedience is no longer an issue (for the most part).
FFT
hunter

Postby georgied88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: FFT I just laughed out loud at work after reading that.
Looks like you had a good shoot. Good luck with the dog however, hope all goes/is going well and he proves to be a good companion. :thumbsup:
Exercise is the best medicine.
georgied88
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting