Duck Report

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: Duck Report

Postby Park Duck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm

big difference in cameron and big lakes 3 hours north of you my friend. Some of you fellas have no idea what your talking about.
User avatar
Park Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:52 am
Location: Natchez Ms


Re: Duck Report

Postby Duck Enticer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Park duck,

I don't know what you are talking about? I was referencing the OP's thread about "duck reports". I know what I saw around the Cameron Ferry. Mottled's from the Southeast coast of Texas (Galveston, East Bay, Baytown) do migrate to Louisiana during the Fall. What gives?

Are you trying to say that you are seeing some birds 3 hours (how many miles?) North of Cameron? If so, do tell.
Negrodamus knows!
User avatar
Duck Enticer
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: South Central Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby teaves2257 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Toledo wrote:
teaves2257 wrote:Texas and Nw Louisiana is no where close to the same. Sure I can find limits of birds but like stated above everyone else in the area would be in the same place fighting over a couple spots.


I would say 1/2 mile apart is pretty much the same place as far as .....[k/quote]

Your from Texas so I would assume you know there isn't any body of waters a half mile between. Besides Toledo Bend and caddo you have to travel atleast a hour to hit another public area. I don't consider waskom and Marshall east Texas, I consider lake fork, pines, and what not. What you have to consider is Nw Louisiana is in the middle of 2 flyways, we don't see near the numbers.
The birds Rick showed never checked up here, they just keep going south.

I personal start seeing birds the week before the youth hunt, normally hits just right for our youth hunt which is Texas opener. Yeah I would like to hunt that weekend but I enjoy taking kids before our season starts, nothing like working early new birds and seeing the face on a kid when a group falls out of the sky landing in the decoys.

Yeah to each our own, I just believe the areas we hunt are different as far as flight patterns.
User avatar
teaves2257
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Nw Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby AaronR » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 am

Toledo wrote:Im really not concerned with some squatter or lazy group of late wakers success rates. There will be some that dont fire a shot because they are lazy and went and sat in the same spot where they have always sat. There will be some that wont fire a shot because they didnt get to the X first. This isnt a sport for the lazy. Scout hard, wake up early, shoot ducks. Anyone that isnt willing to do the first two shouldnt be entitled to the last. Most of the places that have birds will always have foks fighting over them on opening morning. Thats not going to change with the calendar.


I agree with you 100% on this. Could not have stated it better. I

have never hunted NW La and have friends that hunt Catahoula. I can speak for the places I hunt in NE La and say that yea we usually have jam up openers and could do the same a week earlier. But the month of January has proved to produce just as many gads, teal, and mallards in my years of experience where I have hunted. I do believe you are correct in saying the migration starts earlier than the season does and thats what allows for those good openers at the time they are. Just as the split allows birds to get comfortable again and therefore produce an amazing re-opener. My opinion says to keep season opener where it is and give me that last week of January.

It all comes down to where you hunt and what you hunt for as stated before.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Report

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 am

Duck Enticer wrote:Hey Rick,
What kind of ducks were in that flick that you showed? Looked big, but were we spooned? Also, how many birds were in that area approximately? Thanks.


Big ducks tend to blow out sooner and higher than either small ducks or geese, so the great majority of the birds shown were the later two. Little doubt there was a fair show of spoons mixed with the teal, but the bulk of the surprisingly strong big duck show went unrecorded or IDed. Mottleds and pins for sure, but I just didn't pay enough attention to say what else.

Nor am I enough of a waterfowl counter to speculate on numbers beyond, "a nice mess of 'em".
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck Report

Postby Duck Enticer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 am

Nor am I enough of a waterfowl counter to speculate on numbers beyond, "a nice mess of 'em".


I don't think the ability to approximate numbers makes or breaks you as a waterfowler. Thanks for the response.
Negrodamus knows!
User avatar
Duck Enticer
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: South Central Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 am

Rode down to "the area we hunt" yesterday (which is public water). Saw thousands of Greenheads,Grey Ducks and GW Teal rafted up, even a few pintail. Continued seeing big groups all day. I can finally say they are here and Ive never seen those numbers in that area this early in the season. Excited about this year so far.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby duckman99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:39 am

First time on the river in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in white house area of the river. With clarks closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of the river. Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire white house area and both are on the north end. Red River marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like clarks on opening day of duck season.
duckman99
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby teaves2257 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am

duckman99 wrote:First time on ********** in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in ******** area of the ******. With ******** closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of ******** . Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire ********* area and both are on the north end. ************ marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like ******** on opening day of duck season.



:hi: Not very smart to post up names of areas and bodies of waters. Your basically telling the whole world and internet scouters where to hunt :clapping: good job
User avatar
teaves2257
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Nw Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby Joe-Nathan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm

teaves2257 wrote:
duckman99 wrote:First time on ********** in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in ******** area of the ******. With ******** closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of ******** . Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire ********* area and both are on the north end. ************ marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like ******** on opening day of duck season.



:hi: Not very smart to post up names of areas and bodies of waters. Your basically telling the whole world and internet scouters where to hunt :clapping: good job


X2
not very smart b/c I found a new spot to hunt now.

Thank you,
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)
User avatar
Joe-Nathan
hunter
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 am
Location: St. Martinville, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Joe-Nathan wrote:
teaves2257 wrote:
duckman99 wrote:First time on ********** in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in ******** area of the ******. With ******** closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of ******** . Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire ********* area and both are on the north end. ************ marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like ******** on opening day of duck season.



:hi: Not very smart to post up names of areas and bodies of waters. Your basically telling the whole world and internet scouters where to hunt :clapping: good job


X2
not very smart b/c I found a new spot to hunt now.

Thank you,


You're a long way from home Joe. Promise you'll be disappointed too. :lol3:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby matt99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 pm

duckman99 wrote:First time on ********** in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in ******** area of the ******. With ******** closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of ******** . Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire ********* area and both are on the north end. ************ marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like ******** on opening day of duck season.


Fail.

Dude, please don't post maps on the internet. There's already enough competition.
matt99
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Re: Duck Report

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 pm

bawhawhawhwhawhhawhwhwahwhahaha x 3


The reason there are no blind there is cause they will be removed and hunting in there isnt going to be easy....go set up in there and see what happens.....

as far as the river WAY to many jake legs and yahoos out there to have more then about 3 good days a year......besides about 7 of the 100 blind that are on the X and our out there alot! (its on real how many people go out there with 1 dz brand new decoys and a brand new mojo put about 20 yards in front of there boat uncovered and stand in wide ass open shooting everything within 100 yards)

word of advice if you find some birds dont post when and where or you will have company the next day! Ask the Toledo bend hunters from last year hahahahah
User avatar
tb44
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: NW Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm

would one of the mods. please edit his post for those that due hunt in that area!!!!! ha I dont but im sure those that do would appreciate that !
User avatar
tb44
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: NW Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:41 pm

tb44 wrote:bawhawhawhwhawhhawhwhwahwhahaha x 3


The reason there are no blind there is cause they will be removed and hunting in there isnt going to be easy....go set up in there and see what happens.....




Exactly, better yet. Go build a blind in that area. I just want to be there when those guys find it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby Toledo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 pm

tb44 wrote:word of advice if you find some birds dont post when and where or you will have company the next day! Ask the Toledo bend hunters from last year hahahahah


No joke! Not a sole around for opener and retards came flooding in from all over the state by the second weekend. We talked to people from BR, LC, Monroe, etc. all making the drive to hunt. It went from clouds of birds to clear skys in no time. I wonder how many of those same retards are gonna be back at the same place scratching their heads this year with the water 10 feet higher. We hunted spots last year that have never been huntable before and may never be again.
Toledo
hunter
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Duck Report

Postby duckman99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm

I was just trying to be helpful to other hunters and share just some information. I haven't had any problems in the past but if its as bad as you say maybe I should bring some cop friends with me on the hunt and see how that goes. I'm just looking to have a good time not start fights. The river is for everyone and so are most area lakes. Best way to protect yourself is have a good HD camera with you recording so when these people you speak of threaten you and even become unbareable you just simply report them with boat numbers and like that its over with. Harassment, Intimidation, or physical fights are all crimes. Your video is the evidence and in my case the cop friends are witnesses. As the law reads first come first serve reguardless a blind. Guess I'll see them out there it will be fun either way. Entertaining watching them get arrested or killing ducks. Makes no difference to me.
duckman99
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby bluebill killer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:15 pm

I agree duckman99 these people try and scare you out of a hole. We all pay taxes, its for everyone. Do what you got to do to protect yourself.
bluebill killer
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: TX

Re: Duck Report

Postby teaves2257 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm

duckman99 wrote:I was just trying to be helpful to other hunters and share just some information. I haven't had any problems in the past but if its as bad as you say maybe I should bring some cop friends with me on the hunt and see how that goes. I'm just looking to have a good time not start fights. The river is for everyone and so are most area lakes. Best way to protect yourself is have a good HD camera with you recording so when these people you speak of threaten you and even become unbareable you just simply report them with boat numbers and like that its over with. Harassment, Intimidation, or physical fights are all crimes. Your video is the evidence and in my case the cop friends are witnesses. As the law reads first come first serve reguardless a blind. Guess I'll see them out there it will be fun either way. Entertaining watching them get arrested or killing ducks. Makes no difference to me.


I could care less where you hunt, it's the fact that your posting this online and probably telling everyone you talk to about it. If you share what you find then exspect everyone and there brother to be there hunting next to you.

Hey feel free to hunt the area your talking about. Just out of respect for the people hunting that body of water, stop posting about it.
User avatar
teaves2257
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Nw Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm

what a ******
User avatar
tb44
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: NW Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby drakethedog1970 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm

duckman99 wrote:First time on the river in a while and just got done riding around. saw good groups of grey ducks and solid 30 to 40 deep groups of teal down in white house area of the river. With clarks closed it should help take pressure off that area. Maybe thats why so many birds are in that particular part of the river. Less boat traffic. Looks perfect for boat blind and only saw 2 blinds in the entire white house area and both are on the north end. Red River marina is probably going to turn into the new every parking lot spot filled like clarks on opening day of duck season.


Funny you posted this, I was doing my Daily Googling and stumbled across this site when I was searching for "white house red river". I was in that area this past Monday afternoon and like you said there are A LOT of birds in there.

Only saw a few blinds so i figured, what the heck! I started building my blind and going to try and get it finished before the season opens!

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
duckBlind1a.jpg
duck blind progress
drakethedog1970
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm
Location: Benton, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Please have that camera rolling. And post that video so we can all see it. Ive been threaten just for riding my boat in there. I really am not sure about law, but if you are hunting someones spot a they have a blind there and show up. $100 says that GW will tell you to move.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Duck Report

Postby bluebill killer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

drakethedog1970, nice blind maybe we could hunt together. The only reason i'm on here is to meet people that duckhunt and maybe meet some new hunting buds along the way. Let me know if you need help getting it out there just send me a private message with your info
bluebill killer
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: TX

Re: Duck Report

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 pm

bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha this is going to get interesting ! go put that blind in there going to be a waste of time and money ahahahhahahahahah....wish I was going to be there to watch all this go down
User avatar
tb44
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: NW Louisiana

Re: Duck Report

Postby drakethedog1970 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

tb44 wrote:bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha this is going to get interesting ! go put that blind in there going to be a waste of time and money ahahahhahahahahah....wish I was going to be there to watch all this go down


What, will something happen to my blind in there? I'm just trying to hunt and kill some quackers. I researched that the A.C.O.E owns the rights in the river anyway.

I already planned putting up several game cameras up too

@bluebillkiller Would love the help! My 4 sons are home schooled but we can always use an extra hand!
drakethedog1970
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm
Location: Benton, LA

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests