New to maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

New to maryland

Postby Gert9888 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Im from Ny and both new to the site and to hunting MD. My parents have kept a boat at the ocean city fishing center for a few years now and they have just purchased a home, now I have to try firgure out how to hunt around assawoman bay. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SOMEONES SPOT! just an idea as to the laws. In Ny just about anywhere in the water is legal as long as you are shooting over water and not at homes or roads etc. does this apply to MD in worcester county? their place is rite above the isle of wright. any info would be great, thanks Jeff
Gert9888
hunter

New to maryland

Postby Willie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Check with md dnr. Some strange laws in Md.
Willie
hunter

Re: New to maryland

Postby Bay Bob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

In most saltwater, close to shore you have to license a spot to hunt legally.

Read the DNR site on waterfowl blind licensing - - - might need a lawyer.

Now if your family has waterfront property you are in like Flynn, if not you are like the rest of us plonkers !

Here is a start !

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/licenses/offshore.asp
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Gert9888 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:29 pm

thanks guys, bay bob that link is crazy not being from maryland and no experience what so ever I am now terrified. maybe a guided route or one of these new neighbors will be interested in taking a rookie. haha thanks again
Gert9888
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Short answer to your question is no you cannot just hunt anywhere. The only hunting open to you at this point that is close is going to be Fishing Bay WMA and assateague. I hunted the assawoman a lot in the past years. Its great hunting but over the past years it has been getting locked up more and more so this year I gave up on it and went elsewhere.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby Aunt Bee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:53 pm

You poor guy !! NY to MD !! Me too ! It's a LOT different from my old hunting grounds behind Jones Beach and the Great South Bay ! :help: :help: :help: :hammer: :hammer:
Aunt Bee
hunter

Postby duckboatcrabber » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 am

If your in the Ocean City area you should check out Assateague National Seashore.
http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/hunting-at-assateague.htm

Best thing to do is go to the ranger station on the National Park side and speak with them directly. You'll have to register and get a hunter ID number as well as $20.00 for the season. Additonally, you'll have to purchase a park entrance pass which is good for a year. In the past they have allowed hunters to purchase an "upgrade" if you already have your Federal waterfowl stamp.
duckboatcrabber
Newb

Postby Gert9888 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:45 am

u guys are great thanks for all the links looks like a lot of reading and phone calls to get this all done right the last thing that I want to do is end up in DNR trouble, I have a good friend who is taking the physical exams to become a DNR warden in a few weeks hopefully he gets in and can simplify these laws even more.
Gert9888
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting