Gone with the wind?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Gone with the wind?

Postby retired1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 am

Anyone else notice way fewer birds today after all the wind we got yesterday? I hunted a swamp Monday that was loaded with geese and ducks. Today I would say 90% fewer ducks and 50% fewer geese. Bring on the migrants!
retired1
hunter

Re: Gone with the wind?

Postby john32189 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:54 pm

I went yesterday evening to a place i'd seen a bunch of ducks the last day of early goose and didn't see a single duck, even put the gun back in the car n sat by the river til dark, nothin.
john32189
hunter

Postby drakedog123 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I shot Monday and Tuesday with good results. Monday morning there was nothing really flying so while the tide was still high I went and jump shot some creeks. Shot 2 teal 1 black and 1 mallard in about an hour. The birds were holding real tight until I got right on top of them. Tuesday morning was great with a limit in about 30 minutes. Shot 4 teal , 1 mallard and a banded drake wood duck. I"ve never seen that many teal flying at sunrise. The band was from hillsborough New Hampshire, so the migration has begun. I think there are still birds around, just not in the normal spots.
drakedog123
hunter

Postby decoy241 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Hunted monday afternoon. Shot 3 drake mallards. 1 banded. Didn't see a ton of birds but enough. Great start to my season
decoy241
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:20 pm

First time out this season on my Club swamp.

Best day in a long time; 2 drakes woodies, 1 hen woodie, 2 blue wing and a drake mallard plus 2 geese. I know no pics but it's true If the non believers complain I cleaned plucked the 3 woodies and breasted a goose which I could pic, the others I gave to my neighbor. That's the good news , the bad it took me about 20 shots to do it
golferboy426
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 am

The wind definitely had the birds down and hidden pretty good Monday. Only saw 5 ducks yesterday morning and 3 flocks of high flying geese in the AM. only 4 geese at the swamp hunting in the afternoon. A lot of hunting pressure around us Saturday had something to do with it I'm sure but the wind doesn't help either.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 am

I went out this morning and had another great hunt. Saw hundreds of ducks, most were very decoy shy, I think because of heavy hunting pressure. We were able to get 8 birds between my partner and I. 6 Mallards and 2 Blacks. So far this season, my hunting partner and I went out twice and have bagged 20 ducks. Many people were hunting in the area from the sound of things so it kept the birds moving. Seems like there are a ton more hunters this year than I have ever seen before! Cant wait to go out again Saturday!
mosherd1
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting