My first lost deer

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

My first lost deer

Postby poor_duck » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, it happens to the best of us...and I am certainly not the best.

Friday morning I sat in my tree stand for a quick hunt . There is a doe that had been coming in every morning for a few weeks finally I had the time to hunt their

Around 7:00 am seven point walked in and started feeding on the acorns. As I watched him for 10 min he was nice with good mass and he looked pretty gray, an older fellow.

It took me about 5 minutes to get ready to shoot because he was only 16 feet away and at the slightest noise he would look around for 30 seconds. I hit him a little higher than I would have liked but still believed I got lung. For the first time however I saw the arrow stuck in him as he ran off. I knew this wasn't good.

45 minutes later a buddy and I started looking for his trail. We found blood about 30 yards from where he entered the woods and followed it for 50 yards. Then we heard him crashing around and decided to come back the next morning.

Saturday morning we went out after my friend got a couple hours in at his stand. We found a real solid blood trail and followed it for a hundred yards up and down hills, over creeks, you know the drill. The blood was pinkish with bubbles and I knew I had hit lung. We found the arrow (the broadhead was broken off somehow) and the blood trail got real nice...for awhile. We found two beds, both within 20 yards of each other, one with a good amount of blood and the other with just a few drops. After that we found no more blood. After searching for 4 hours with four people we gave up so i call i guy with tracking dog and no luck :mad:

Sunday morning I went back and looked again to no avail for a few hours. Overall I want to throw up. I have never lost a deer before and I am just sick knowing that it is unlikely he lived after the amount of blood he lost and the fact that the broadhead is probably still in him.

get a phone call yesterday they found him 2 mile away from where i shot him too late to recover any meat. i call fish&game they came to take a look and i had to tag it oh well no meat but i took whats left I did the right thing . He was 4.5 to 5.5 years old what a shame :sad:
poor_duck
hunter

Re: My first lost deer

Postby chefletch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 pm

sorry for your loss...i have lost one deer before, but it was with a shot with a very small blood trail. i feel the same way when i lose ducks. that is the first time i have heard of it having to be tagged....does leave an empty feeling that it died for no reason. that feeling always makes me second guess when to shoot-i always wait for a shot that i know will kill...quickly. redemtion is a couple weeks away!
If it Flies, It dies.... if it's brown knock it down
chefletch
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

chefletch wrote:sorry for your loss...i have lost one deer before, but it was with a shot with a very small blood trail. i feel the same way when i lose ducks. that is the first time i have heard of it having to be tagged....does leave an empty feeling that it died for no reason. that feeling always makes me second guess when to shoot-i always wait for a shot that i know will kill...quickly. redemtion is a couple weeks away!

he ask me nicely if you want to keep the rack you have to tag it and i know hes mine so i did the right thing he is the biggest one i shot so far still hes going on my wall but i will always remember the moment i had with him :sad:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 am

Ah, sorry to hear that... I have never taken a deer (or a shot at one) so I don't know the feeling, but I would imagine it being 100x greater than a duck and I know that can suck. At least you have the rack and know that it is finally down.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 am

Wow, I can't believe one of the NH approved tracking dogs couldn't find it! My only bow shot deer ran like a son of a gun. I tracked her probably 5 miles over 2 days. The only reason I recovered that deer was because there was about 20" of snow and the arrow was sticking out of her. There was very little blood, but everywhere she went, I could tell which tracks were hers because of the arrow mark in the snow.
Sorry you had trouble finding him, that really blows.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:48 am

that whats left
Attachments
545755_455858504460279_645932380_n.jpg
7 point
545755_455858504460279_645932380_n.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 638 times
poor_duck
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting