Taxidermy

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Taxidermy

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:53 pm

I shot a rael nice mature greenhead this morning, and want to mount it myself but have no clue how to go about doing it. What do I need to do it? how long do you guys think it would take somebody on there first time and make it look nice any information would help and be appreciated. Also what kind of birds have you guys stuffed? or have stuffed? any pictures?
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Re: Taxidermy

Postby canhunter » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:27 pm

HUMBOLDT HUNTER wrote:I shot a rael nice mature greenhead this morning, and want to mount it myself but have no clue how to go about doing it. What do I need to do it? how long do you guys think it would take somebody on there first time and make it look nice any information would help and be appreciated. Also what kind of birds have you guys stuffed? or have stuffed? any pictures?

I'm going to get one of mine mounted. Theres this guy who is really good in evansville. He did my dads fish.
canhunter
hunter

taxidermy

Postby kilndux » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:54 pm

What you need: scalpal, surgical scissors (to cut fat with), borax (which is a drying powder), thread/needle, wire (drop ceiling wire will do), wirecutters, forceps, paint (acrylic or airbrush for finishing touches), clay (about a golf ball size for filling of the skull), glass eyes ( from vandykes or another taxidermy supply store), string ( kite string will do), cotton ( sheet of cotton not cotton balls ), excelsiur (wooden strings all balled up, commonly used in the past for shipping) and alot of patience and skill.

I think that should about do it. That is the oldschool way of doing it with the excelsiur as the body and cotton as the neck, but thats the way i did it.
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:41 pm

Cool thanks for the info. Do you guys got any pics? My little brother just sent his greenhead off to the local taxidermist who is really good but he charges $250 and said it will be like 6 to 8 months before its done. I dont really wanna spend that kind of money nor would I really have the patience to wait that long, so I wanna start doing it myself.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

tips

Postby the_migrator » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:01 pm

if its your first duck you are gonna mount dont do it on the one you are wanting to keep experiment with mudducks because it takes time you need to learn how to get the fat off the skin how th get the tendons out of the legs and wings do a few mudducks first and dont forget to formaldhyde the feet ot keeps bugs out
the_migrator
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:12 am

Pretty much the closest thing we have to mud ducks around here would be spoonys or buffleheads and I dont really shoot either of them on a regular basis and I already have a nice mallard that I want stuffed, so I am pretty much gonna go for broke with the mallard.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:53 pm

OH , IF I REMEMBER RIGHT ,.
UM YOU DONT WANT TO GUT THE DUCK NOR SKIN IT.
LEAVE IT WHOLE AND FREEZE IT WRAPPED IN PAPER TOWEL IN A BAG.
BUT, I HAVE THREE READY FOR MY REINTRODUCTION TO THE TAX. WORLD. :mrgreen:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:35 pm

i just experimented with mounting a teal in a class i had at school. I orded everything from van dykes. There is a kit you can buy that has all the wiring asnd supplies. But, you have to have a lot of patience because it's hard t omake it look natural. i wish i had a chance at buffleheads where do you live.
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:39 am

utah
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:10 pm

I live in Humboldt County, California. Buffleheads around here arent really ducks that people wanna shoot.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:08 am

look up online for some Mounting Kits... check van dykes taxidermy online has a few for bird kits.. just bought a Deer head kit and 2 Pheasant mount kits.. i think they had duck mount kits too. :salude:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Postby PuddleHopper » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 am

McKenzies taxidermy supplies offers a kit that includes everything you need to mount a duck. only problem is you have to shape the mannikin out of a block of foam they give you. I ordered one myself along with a deer mounting kit. Got the deer mounted. It is pretty good for my first time. I still have to get out and shoot a duck to mount though. The kit comes with a video and an instruction booklet all for 40 dollars. It shows you how to do a flying or a standing mount.
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Postby Duckcrazy24 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:49 pm

I have done many ducks from golden eyes to pintails my first mallard and duck took me about 8 hours. The Mkenzie set is good execpt for the neck for the neck I use this round foam they have it is called neck material and you will need 3/4 inch for the mallard. They also have a movie for sale but I use some different styles. I use a exacto knife and you will need non harding clay to set the glass eyes air brush for painting the fake head a primer that is for plastic colors wood duck yellow and jet black. colmen fuel to get fat out of feather use this last before you wash it in warm water pine sol and dawn. then after the colman fuel you use plaster o pairs to dry the feathers. you will also need a hand held wire bursh to take fat off. borax is an essentail part this is the perservitaive and you need a needle and theard aswell as super glue. i have pics but not sure i can upload them will try if you have any more questions give me a call. :mrgreen:
Duckcrazy24
Newb

Postby QUACKADDICT » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:06 pm

do yourself and your taxadermist a favor and take it to get done by a pro..there is nothing worse then a guy walking into the shop with his trophy and saying i tried to do it myself can you fix it??if u are dead set on doing it yourself go to the many suppliers web sites arder a kit get the mounting video or at least a book the shows how to do it all in detail..but i wouldnt do a duck i wanted to keep and show off as my first mount..go kill some pigeons or something and practace on those..all birds basically have the same build up and will give u some practace before doing your duck..if you go ahead and do it good luck and let us know how it goes..if you have any questions let me know and ill help you out all i can
QUACK..QUACK...BOOOOOM
QUACKADDICT
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum