Bow hunting ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Bow hunting ducks

Postby brownh14 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am

In the past few years i have heard of people bow hunting ducks with recurves and trying to shoot them out of the air with flu flus, and shooting them off of the water with compounds when they land in your decoys. I am a pretty avid bowhunter and though this would be something pretty awesome to try this year! Im just looking for some tips about the best way to do this if anyone has tried it, and does anyone know where i can get some really cheap but affective arrows for this. thanks!
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Re: Bow hunting ducks

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:57 pm

X2. I would be interested in this information as well
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

i would try walmart i have seen carbon express arrows there for like 2.50 or 3.00 a piece not sure on the spline or the straightness but if you practice and even set up your bow for the arrows you should be able to hit the broad side of a duck. also not sure of the draw weight you would want if you would want a pass through or not.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Ole Cypress » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:34 am

The boys at Echo have a special place over there that no one else can imagine. When you can land upwards of 2-3 thousand mallards in your hole every morning, it gets a little boring, (I guess, cause I've never done that) so they feel the need to shoot them with bows at 15 yards. But you and I don't get the privilege of hunting the Coke woods. So, you besta shoot em in the neck with 2 shot when ya can. Forget bows

Ole
Ole Cypress
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:46 am

one of my customers hunts both ducks and geese with a bow on a private pond. They shoot them in the air, but decoyed just above the decoy spread when they are at their slowest flight speed. They do very well and he's even got his wife shooting geese with her bow. I have always fletched my own arrows and think that would probably be your best option, however I haven't fletched flu flu arrows, this link would be a good place for information, http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/flu-flu.htm

That way you could start with some of your own arrows that were correctly matched with your bow.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby d_money » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:24 am

I am a very avid archer and hunt big game exclusively for 10 years now with a bow. I have tried to kill a duck for the passed couple years with a bow with no luck. I have gotten very close a few times but just haven't gotten it done. I shoot about 10-15 arrows a year at them so I dont spend a ton of time trying I figure it will happen some year hopefully this one. I tend to get upset when trying because I could kill the ducks with my shotgun easy and I personally love killing and eating waterfowl that's why I don't try very often.
d_money
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 pm

alright thanks for the feedback i think i will give it a run this year
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

I use a Toelke Whip HS long bow. Works well and definitely use flu-flu feathers. Flu-Flus will slow your arrow flight so as to not send arrows 5 miles away and I use blaze orange to get a good location of the flight, kind of like a tracer round. I shoot douglar fir shafts from Surewood shafts. It's really fun and you would be amazed how well you can get. Lots of off season pratice throwing foam disks helps too.

cheers
erich
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm

you mean like dis :grooving: 65 lb draw weight at 35 yards out of my garage window. out like a light... had a whole flock 2 winters ago in my yard and too close to shoot guns.
Attachments
goosebow.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby CCducker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am

lbhansford wrote:you mean like dis :grooving: 65 lb draw weight at 35 yards out of my garage window. out like a light... had a whole flock 2 winters ago in my yard and too close to shoot guns.

:rolleyes: It doesnt count if its not in the air...
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 am

u mean when watching all those shows where people are bowhunting turkeys that they have been doing it wrong all along? Counted when the jerky came out the dehydrator :grooving:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 pm

I hunt them with my longbow from time to time. I shoot at them in the air with Flu Fu's and dull broadheads. I put a small washer behind the broadhead. The head stops in the birds and makes a clean kill.

On the water I shoot them with standard razor sharp broadheads with no washer behind it. Pass throughs with the arrow floating on the other side.

Plan to miss a lot of birds. It is a total hoot. If you are focused on always making a kill or shooting limits bring your shotgun along. I have mine along for finishing shots when I am bowhunting them.

My personal favorite is drifting local rivers during the early season and shooting the resident groups with Turkey Guillotine heads. You wait until two or three are lined up and then fire for the base of the head on the first one. Occasionally you can get a double doing this. Throw in that you are fishing all day for Steelhead and Sea Run Cuts, and it makes for an awesome trip.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 am

A buddy and I have been talking about trying to hunt ducks with our bows but werent sure if it was legal in washington. I have searched our regs numerous times and have found nothing on it. But it sounds like a tone of fun. Maybe I will give it a shot this weekend.
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 am

Ya season starts in 2 weeks here i think im going to give it a try but bring my shotgun to clean up... tell me how u do and post some pics if it goes well.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I am assuming that when you shoot the arrow and miss, the arrow is gone forever if it is deep water? You do not tie a string or anything to the end of the arrow right?
mosherd1
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:32 pm

I wondered if it would be legal to use my carp set up. And I believe an arrow will float if it has a good knock on it since the insert is sealed. but i will deffanatly test that theory before shooting. And i will let you know how we do.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Carbon arrows will float not sure about metal shafts, and one of my buddys said he knows a guy who shoots these broad heads that expand at a certain distance that stops the arrow from going very far... not sure what brand they are though
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I know older aluminum arrows will float also. the large diameter shaft hold alot of air in them.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby lovedd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Carbon arrows ,YES all real carbon from walmart to easton float, straight up like a bobber. Just dont shoot into the mud. I learned that from hunting frogs.
If I'm not here check OUTSIDE
lovedd
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:10 am

Speaking of this theirs a refuge that loads up by my house that u can only bow hunt on. I called and they said I could bow hunt ducks on it. Would u guys go ahead and do it. Im a pretty good shot. I don't know what Id do about cripples tho.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Speaking of this theirs a refuge that loads up by my house that u can only bow hunt on. I called and they said I could bow hunt ducks on it. Would u guys go ahead and do it. Im a pretty good shot. I don't know what Id do about cripples tho.

Yes!!!

With a dog,.... No

Therefore, I would not hunt the refuge...
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

What if I just used one of those carp things that has line attached to the arrow, then I could do some duck fishin.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 am

i would hunt it that sounds sick, just go for head shots... I'm sure you will get plenty of tries cus you aren't flaring birds as much as a shotgun would.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Dude Im shooting them on the water. Sorry but Im not flinging arrows up into the air. Wish I had the money to even consider doing that. Theres people that walk the park a lot too. Ill probably get bitched at if I do do it, but we'll see.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

One Year i tried to shoot some ducks that we landed on a pond with my bow. I ended up more or less just embarrising myself but this post has repeaked my interest.
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting