Migration Report

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am

I've been seeing very little migration yet. A few more mallards maybe than the first week but nothing major. Seems to be a perty steady goose migration though. Anybody seeing anything differen? If you have any updates post em up here.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI


Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:42 am

This was from around the Saginaw bay.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Same, local birds are getting weary, I'm done duck hunting until November.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Same, local birds are getting weary, I'm done duck hunting until November.

It's getting hard to get anything to commit. All but one day last week was pass shooting. Thursday they worked real good for me though. I'm going to keep at her for the next couple weeks but can't wait till they start migrating through. Dons know when we will ever get a decent season in MI. Opening weekend should be the one coming up. And then run through December.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I would agree with that if we could get an early teal/woody season.

Otherwise they would be gone before the season started on a cold year.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I would agree with that if we could get an early teal/woody season.

Otherwise they would be gone before the season started on a cold year.

True. But I would rather have a good full season of mallards and other big ducks that a week of teal and woodies and only a week or 2 of good mallards.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:18 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I would agree with that if we could get an early teal/woody season.

Otherwise they would be gone before the season started on a cold year.

True. But I would rather have a good full season of mallards and other big ducks that a week of teal and woodies and only a week or 2 of good mallards.


People on the far west side of the state would disagree; their season is supported by woodies and teal.

Few mallards venture to the SW part of MI, in comparison to the E side.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 am

Don't get me wrong I love hunting those ducks. The best situation would be an early teal/woodie season like almost every other season has. Or make another zone with different season dates. The best way to do that would be to put the aaginaw bay in a zone of its own. That is where the most mallards migrate through every year late season.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:34 am

Its not just saginaw, it is the west side of the state, everything near detroit.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby slimjim338 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I would agree with that if we could get an early teal/woody season.

Otherwise they would be gone before the season started on a cold year.

True. But I would rather have a good full season of mallards and other big ducks that a week of teal and woodies and only a week or 2 of good mallards.


People on the far west side of the state would disagree; their season is supported by woodies and teal.

Few mallards venture to the SW part of MI, in comparison to the E side.


Not sure where you have hunted on the West Side of the state?! I will agree that more woodies are on the west side compared to the east.
slimjim338
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:29 am

slimjim338 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I would agree with that if we could get an early teal/woody season.

Otherwise they would be gone before the season started on a cold year.

True. But I would rather have a good full season of mallards and other big ducks that a week of teal and woodies and only a week or 2 of good mallards.


People on the far west side of the state would disagree; their season is supported by woodies and teal.

Few mallards venture to the SW part of MI, in comparison to the E side.


Not sure where you have hunted on the West Side of the state?! I will agree that more woodies are on the west side compared to the east.


The SW side of the state has far fewer mallards than the SE side of the state, is all I am saying.

Most of the hunters I know in SW MI, spend their time in flooded tember hunting woodies...

I would say the number of woodines to Mallards is 5 to 1 in the SW.

Just an opinion.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Its not just saginaw, it is the west side of the state, everything near detroit.

Ive just hunted the Saginaw bay area so I don't really know much about south. But all I know is the season starts to early to get the big mallards that come through in december. At least we get 4 days this year to get some good mallard hunting in. Got all those days off works already.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am

I think there should be a split.

October 6th (or first/second weekend) - November3rd (or first/second weekend) (28 days)

December 8th (or first/second weekend) - January 11th (34 days)

62 day season, and no sucky 1 or 2 day late season.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby g_maxson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:33 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I think there should be a split.

October 6th (or first/second weekend) - November3rd (or first/second weekend) (28 days)

December 8th (or first/second weekend) - January 11th (34 days)

62 day season, and no sucky 1 or 2 day late season.


Refuge counts show peak migration is end of Oct. You'd close for peak migration at the refuges?
User avatar
g_maxson
hunter
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:46 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

g_maxson wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I think there should be a split.

October 6th (or first/second weekend) - November3rd (or first/second weekend) (28 days)

December 8th (or first/second weekend) - January 11th (34 days)

62 day season, and no sucky 1 or 2 day late season.


Refuge counts show peak migration is end of Oct. You'd close for peak migration at the refuges?


I should not have said "I think"
I should have said that more clearly, That would be the best way to make NuffDaddy happy, and keep a "woody/teal" season.


I tried to check the peek migration in Southern Michigan by looking at the Weekly Waterfowl Count, but it won’t open.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_10859-151581--,00.html
When the link works again I will comment on when the peek dates are.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
g_maxson wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I think there should be a split.

October 6th (or first/second weekend) - November3rd (or first/second weekend) (28 days)

December 8th (or first/second weekend) - January 11th (34 days)

62 day season, and no sucky 1 or 2 day late season.


Refuge counts show peak migration is end of Oct. You'd close for peak migration at the refuges?


I should not have said "I think"
I should have said that more clearly, That would be the best way to make NuffDaddy happy, and keep a "woody/teal" season.


I tried to check the peek migration in Southern Michigan by looking at the Weekly Waterfowl Count, but it won’t open.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_10859-151581--,00.html
When the link works again I will comment on when the peek dates are.


I found an old Fish Point report showing the peek being in late november and early december.

Nov 29 2012: 12,500 ducks
Dec 06 2012: 11,000 ducks

So move my second split to November 21st to December 25th
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8646
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Migration Report

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 am

Been shooting a LOT of woodies, a couple of blacks and a few mallards at fish point. I have not seen one pintail or any teal yet this year but I have been hunting as a single hunter in the back fields. lots of Geese though.

on a side note, I have to laugh as 2 guys hunting near the foot bridge told me that they walked across the channel into the Refuge (claimed that they did not know it was a refuge) and told me that they were looking at thousands of snow geese over there. :yes: apparently the swans have made their arrival.... :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Been shooting a LOT of woodies, a couple of blacks and a few mallards at fish point. I have not seen one pintail or any teal yet this year but I have been hunting as a single hunter in the back fields. lots of Geese though.

on a side note, I have to laugh as 2 guys hunting near the foot bridge told me that they walked across the channel into the Refuge (claimed that they did not know it was a refuge) and told me that they were looking at thousands of snow geese over there. :yes: apparently the swans have made their arrival.... :lol3:

Those are all the dry fields right? Been out there a few times this year with not much luck. Been to many groups and not enough water. How does someone miss all the signs that say "wildlife refuge. DO NOT ENTER". Haha. At least something is migrating though. Everyone has been telling me how high the woodie numbers are this year and I've only shot 1 so far. :huh:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Try 48 if you want woodies....I have been chasing them out of the decoys....
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:21 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Try 48 if you want woodies....I have been chasing them out of the decoys....

is there water there now? didnt really have ant there last week.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:Try 48 if you want woodies....I have been chasing them out of the decoys....

is there water there now? didnt really have ant there last week.


Water comes and goes, they were trying to flood the teens and seemed to pull what water was in the 40s to do it. I was told that they can not flood both so they are doing the teens over the 40's.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 am

Back on topic here. This should get some thing started. Image
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby slimjim338 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 pm

:welcome: never thought id see it!
slimjim338
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:54 pm

40s + North wind + rain = DUCKS. Might get some water in the bay to with the north winds.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm

It's here boys. Hunted fish point today and there were migrating ducks everywhere. Saw around a thousand flight ducks this morning.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Next

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests