Migration Report

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Re: Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 am

Hunted at Nayanquing this morning and only saw a dozen ducks and never shot my gun. That little push from last week must have moved through already. Headed to fish point tomorrow morning. Anybody having any luck anywhere else?
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Hoping to hunt fish point sunday. Will be bow hunting Sat as I have 4 bucks that will not leave my bait alone and I need to run them off :yes:

Have lots of ducks on the river, Seeing some divers and lots of Mallards but hard to shoot them as they are in direct line to my neighbors house :mad: . also have a few in the garage.

duckies.jpg
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Good luck!! :thumbsup: Ill let you know how i do tomorrow.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Anyone know whats going on yet? I dontk now whats going on for this weekend, should I head south or North?
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Bandedbrothers wrote:Anyone know whats going on yet? I dontk now whats going on for this weekend, should I head south or North?

talked to some guys at the HQ in linwood and noone is doing any good. one guy said he hunted everyday this week and never shot his gun. Im going to fish point tomorrow am. then up by traverse city for the weekend. id say head south but i dont know if anything is happening down there either. good luck and let us know what you find out. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:19 am

Alright I will head south this weekend and see what I can stir up. DU migration map shows some guy shot 23 buffle heads and a few more ducks on harsens Island last week. I mean he was with a bunch of guys. Ill let everyone know how it goes. Let me know how fish point goes.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Lots of ducks flying early this Morning then nothing. We had 2 widgeon and 4 mallards in the first 45 min then never shot our guns and we left at 11. Lots of guys too. On my way up north right now. Been driving through snow most of the way. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I highly recommend heading south! Erie is absolutely loaded with birds and ive had good reports come from LSC
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Where are you hearing this at? I am heading down there tomorrow morning.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 am

I'm up here by traverse city on an inland lake and there are a decent amount of locals and maybe a few migrators but nothing special. Got 1 greenhead and 2 mergansers. Locals are pretty set on thier ways and didn't want to work in. Been snowing here since mid day yesterday.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Went down to lake erie and man oh man, there were a ton of divers, I mean hundreds easy. Lots of birds down there right now
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 am

Watch out though! Erie will have a lull in divers in a week or so and then pick up real strong again to end november
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:15 pm

About half the locals left overnight and there were quite a few migrators this morning. They were all high flying and nothing would come down. Never shot my gun but it was a good morning. Saw several hundred ducks.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:05 am

Yea I shot my gun a few times but it was past shooting. Now tell me ths, I bought a 16ft polar raft last night with a pop up blind, Now I have never hunted out of a boat. Can I park the boat out in the open and hunt? The boat is covered great with the pop up. I also have a anchor. Is this possible?
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 am

Yes you can just motor out and set up in the middle of open water and do just fine but you generally need a lot mor decoys than if you were tucked into a marsh. Have done it for years and get puddle ducks and divers with no problem at all.

THis is one with the blind down and about a mile off shore. took home a lot of ducks..

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Alright cool, got any pointers i can have on how to set dekes up out in the open or anything else I might need to know? I plan on going this weekend so I want to know as much as I can now. I know the straight line of diver decoys is a good idea.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Almost got my boat blind finished then it's off to the saginaw bay for the rest of my November hunts. Waterfowlhunter, do you have your blind grassed or just the blind material? The blind I'm building had a camo tarp for the base then I have army net over it. I was thinking about putting some raffia on it too but don't want to spend the money if it isn't needed. Thanks.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 am

Grass all th eway around. I like the was it moves a little in the breeze and I can still paint it to blend if I tuck into the marsh. I carry camo paint in the boat with me. I just sold that boat and plan to buy a smaller one next spring. that was an 18' an I am going to a 16'

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Thaught I'd show you guys a pic from my hunt Saturday morning. Got a couple mallards and a 2 mergansers.
First snow of the year. Got a little over an inch. This was by traverse city.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

Really slow morning at fish point. Ended up with 1 drake mallard and did better than most of the other 6 parties. Heard a lot of ducks quacking and geese honking in the refuge all morning. About 5 thousand flew up and did a few circles around the refuge then relanded when a plane flew over. Just too nice of a day for duck hunting.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Let us know what tomorrow brings if you go to fish pointe, trying to figure out where to take the new boat at, either up to the bay or down south again. LMK thanks
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Ill have an erie report tomorrow
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm going to be up north deer hunting but a couple of my buddies are going out tomorrow so I'll let you know how they do. I heard that there are starting to be some divers out in the bay so you could have some luck anchoring out a mile or so off shore with a few doz deceits out if you up for that kind of hunting.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 am

Didn't go out hunting this week, but a good number of Mallards building up in the ponds around my neighborhood.
FYI that is the NOVI area.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 am

They aren't doing any good at fish point. Only saw a few green wings before LST. Only 13 parties on a Friday. Usually is 30-50. Everybody else must know a better place or they are sleeping in. :lol3:
NuffDaddy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting