Springfield Area??

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Springfield Area??

Postby Small Block » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 pm

I've done a bit of research on possiblities of waterfowl hunting in the Springfield area as my son now lives there. Thought if i could lacate some possibilities i could drag the Hummers up and have some father/son time this fall and winter. I see there is Fellows Lake but not many details. 11 blinds but not sure how they dole em out. Not sure if a man can hunt out of his own rig. I'll do some more research on this area plus James River and maybe Lake Springfield. Anyone here have any info that would mind sharing? Thanks
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Re: Springfield Area??

Postby moneymaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:20 pm

4 rivers is about your best bet in the area,i think there is open area and the layout boats should be just fine for the area
knockemdeadd wrote:how could i put a pricetag on memories made with my son
So can i hunt with you now since i used a qoute from you?hahahahaha
moneymaker
hunter

Springfield Area??

Postby cwilson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 am

Small Block, I have lived in Springfield my hole life & have been hunting ducks for almost 20 years. Living in Springfield and being a duck hunter means you will drive at least an hour and a half before reaching anything that resembles decent hunting. There is no hunting allowed at Springfield lake, but if you want quality father son time there will be no place better than Fellows Lake, it will just be you and your son...and absolutely nothing else (you might see a local goose on a good day). Close public options are Schell Osage & Four Rivers.
cwilson
hunter

Postby Small Block » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:27 am

Wilson, thanks for the comeback. Sounds a bit dim. I'm very use to HUNTING. If it were always KILLING then everyone would be doing it. Being off the real flyways a bit we all know this duck hunting thing is usually just taht, HUNTING. I'll do some more calling around and feeling this effort out a bit more. Wilson, what style of duck hunting are you most familiar with? Boat blind, field, jump shooting? Give me some details. Sounds as though you have hunted the local spot with not much success. Thanks again.
Small Block in West Plains
Small Block
hunter

Springfield Area??

Postby cwilson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm

One of our problems (other than a lack of birds) is that the area around Springfield has little to offer ducks in the way of food. This is why I say you have to dive, because it takes an hour or better to find crops. And with no food you get no birds. Mostly cattle farms with cattle ponds. I've set up on ponds & jumped them if I had the chance. With all of these ponds around here the few ducks that we do have are very spread out, so it is difficult to find any kind of numbers. It has been my experience that hunting here is best when all the ponds get froze up. This forces them to congregate around any open water/rivers. Most all of my blind hunting is done 3 hours from home. Good luck!
cwilson
hunter

Postby Small Block » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am

Wilson. I'm familiar with the ice issue. Usually when the ice is present my partner and i head for the tributaries on Northfork lake. The creeks stay open and the birds are there after the acorns that fall from the trees along the streams. A mallard will eat a cuckleburr ina heart beat also. Looking for an ice eater now. I still want to look over Fellows. I'll PM you my cell # and maybe chat a bit or even take a boat ride on fellows. Thanks
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby Sametal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey guys I'm also from the Poplar Bluff area originally. Broseley, MO actually. I moved to Springfield about 4 years ago and haven't found a real place to duck hunt around here yet. I normally drive home on the weekends to hunt in Broseley as my family has multiple fields they flood each year. I'm short on money alot and would like to save by hunting around Springfield but I don't know many people who do duck hunt here, so if anyone would like another member in their party let me know anytime! I have about 3 dozen dekes, 3 mojos, and would be glad to help build blinds or help with any thing that has to do with your spot!
Sametal
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 am

Sametal wrote: I moved to Springfield about 4 years ago and haven't found a real place to duck hunt around here yet.

Theres a reason for that..... :lol3:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Sametal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 am

Yep, I've kind of noticed that lol.
Sametal
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm

All kinds of waterfowl on the landing in branson!! Just down from bass pro!! Lot of banded birds at the riverside campground!! :thumbsup:
BigAL64
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting