Still Learning

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Still Learning

Postby mr.green » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 am

I recently have changed my hours at work allowing me to hunt afternoons on some days. I really have only hunted mornings and dont have a lot of experience hunting afternoons. I didnt know if morning was better than afternoons or not. I went out yesterday to a familiar spot and noticed that the ducks I saw were landing in a different spot than I have ever seen them land. They were in a shallow area that is tucked in to the woods, completely the opposite of where I was. So this spawned some questions. In the afternoon/evening do ducks look for a spot with shelter and a place to hide for the night? Should I use resting decoys rather than active? Is there a difference in calling? Should the feeding chuckle be left out being that they are done feeding for the day? This site has always been a great source of info so any help is appreciated.
mr.green
hunter

Re: Still Learning

Postby pvn6616 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 am

Mr Green - the answers to your questions are: Yes, yes, yes and yes! As you have noted the birds behave differently in the afternoon and you have to adjust. There are no set answers, you go by trial and error - whatever works! This time of year it is tough hunting, with mild weather the ducks aren't moving around in the afternoons like later in the season when the temperature is lower, so the ducks are a bit more relaxed and not as active. Don't worry about shooting a limit, just go out, relax, observe, and enjoy. We have the whole season in front of us.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm

mr.green wrote:I recently have changed my hours at work allowing me to hunt afternoons on some days. I really have only hunted mornings and dont have a lot of experience hunting afternoons. I didnt know if morning was better than afternoons or not. I went out yesterday to a familiar spot and noticed that the ducks I saw were landing in a different spot than I have ever seen them land. They were in a shallow area that is tucked in to the woods, completely the opposite of where I was. So this spawned some questions. In the afternoon/evening do ducks look for a spot with shelter and a place to hide for the night? Should I use resting decoys rather than active? Is there a difference in calling? Should the feeding chuckle be left out being that they are done feeding for the day? This site has always been a great source of info so any help is appreciated.

Yep, they are probably roosting in there for the night. I wouldn't recommend shooting them out of their roost, but to each his own. Like PVN said, wait em out, the season is long and will only get better once the weather cooperates. Get out there and watching their habits in a good tool for success during hunts. Roosting birds, if you listen to before daylight, typically hens just give of loud, predictable sessions of quacking & that's about it. Sticking to a similar calling mechanism should be replicated then or being quiet altogether. It's important to let the first few flocks tell you what they want to see and hear.
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby mr.green » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 am

Guys,
Thanks for the response. As always the people on this site are super helpful. Much appreciated and good luck!
mr.green
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting