Deeks decoys?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Deeks decoys?

Postby alabcalledMaverick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 am

Has anyone used them? Looking for some info, specifically with how they handle in 2-3ft waves?
alabcalledMaverick
hunter

Re: Deeks decoys?

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 am

They dont look like much!!!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby JAXcrisp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

They look terrible IMO
JAXcrisp
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

Since 1936, that's where they belong... :eek:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Never seen a duck that looks like any of those decoys. You'd be better off with some cheap flambeaus or something of the like.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Yeah those decoys look horrible :sad:
duckman27
hunter

Postby Nathan N » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow those are awful :help:
i shoot spoonies wrote:

shouldbeaguide should rename... shouldabeenswallowed
Nathan N
hunter

Postby kkelly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I can't stand those things! They don't even look like ducks! I'm not a huge fan of G&H and these are even worse!
kkelly
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Go wwith GHG man... they are the most realistic. I love mine!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 pm

I bought some of the flambeau storm front mallard floaters and they look good and were cheap. best bang for your buck imo
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 am

I've seen them in person at a store on the Oregon coast. They are super basic as you can see from the website and very very small. only a little bigger than a GHG teal.
duaney2
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 am

See the resemblance?
Attachments
Green_Head_Malla_4a6503772060f.jpg
Mallard pair.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 am

I'm sure they have fooled many birds over the years...and will continue to do so...but....when I'm sitting there for hours and when nothing is flying...I want to at least look at something realistic...but that's just me..
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 am

dmadden7070 wrote:I bought some of the flambeau storm front mallard floaters and they look good and were cheap. best bang for your buck imo

X2. The paint isn't the most durable but they do look realistic. Haven't had problems with chipping just scuffing. I replace 1 dozen of my 3 dozen decoys every year. And the old ones become divers. Never had problems killing ducks over them. And for the standards they are only $25/doz and the premiums are $50/doz.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 pm

duckman27 wrote:See the resemblance?

They look like chew toys. I bet a retriever would love to have a dozen or so.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Deeks decoys?

Postby TXWingStinger » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't know how dumb they are up north but where I hunt, ducks would laugh at those decoys and fly away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXWingStinger
hunter

Postby Closer1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm

We used Deeks for years in fooded timber. Simply because you could carry a couple dozen on your mile hike. They always worked great for that. I dont think they would like waves at all.
Closer1
DHC Sponsor

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 am

Those are horrible looking! And expensive for being crap...thatmhas got to be a joke...how the hell are they in business still?
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

I have a couple dozen and they were great for flooded timber when you had a long walk ahead of you. No decoy bag bouncing off of every tree and weighing you down. They are designed to be light and portable. They are on the small side, but the ducks never cared. I would not use them in an area where you were going to get a lot of wind...I would bet they would flip and sink. I find it ironic that some call them junk and then say ghg's are so great. Personally, I consider ghg bottom rung decoys. Cheap and low quality. The Deeks aren't meant to compete with with the battleship decoys for toughness or the top end decoys for appearance, they are for those that walk a long way and don't want the extra weight. I can put two dozen in my coat pockets and not even notice they are there. For their intended purpose they are great decoys. If you hunt big open water they are not the decoy for you.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm

I have 4 dozen and think that they are great. I use 1 1/2 oz. weights on them to keep them light. When you are hunting a marsh or anyplace that you can place your decoys they work great. I think that people become decoy junkies and buy what looks the best. In my opinion its the lack of movement that hurts a spread not the look of decoys. My DEEKS dance around in the slightest wind and give my spread more movement and realism. I haven't had any problems with mine in the wind and I don't think that they will turn over in the waves with the weight ring on the bottom like it is. They aren't a decoy that you can throw out into position. I carry my 4 dozen in a backpack and it works great, no big decoy bags to carry around bouncing off the back of your legs.
fireman1293
hunter

Postby skavdog » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Never seen a scientific study if one style of decoy is more effective than another but I have used Deeks and I havent been dissapointed in their performance. The times I have used them (as a stand alone decoy or as a supplement to "regular" decoys) birds reacted no different. I'll keep using mine..they work fine. My severely outdated camo coat, plain jane gun, and quite less than technical boots seem to do the trick as well.
skavdog
hunter

Postby alabcalledMaverick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree, that these would be on the lower end of the spectrum if we were basing them off looks alone.

However, given my hunting conditions, these will workout perfectly. Just needed a little nudge from someone who has had experience with them in some wind.

I want to hunt a bay in addition to the marsh which these are intended. I hope they hold up well in the wind, it'll save my back.

I have a dog stand to carry out this year. So lighter is better. I may even rig something up so the dog will carry these in for me.
alabcalledMaverick
hunter

Postby LanceM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I love my deeks. Obviously they're not the most realistic ever made, but there are times I wouldn't hunt with anything else. Sure its great to hunt over beautiful fully flocked decoys with every head position imaginable and have flapping wings and swim around. However, a lot of the detail is made for the hunter, not the ducks. When you have a long walk or a tangled mess to walk though, these things are indispensable. I don't hunt over them all the time, but I'm always glad I have them when I need them.

I'm not sure how they do in big waves... but I know it just takes the slightest breeze to bring them to life. And like the box says, you can literally carry "a flock in your pocket"
LanceM
hunter

Postby kennycannon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 pm

I know this is an old thread but I was going to purchase more Deeks and saw this in Google.

The people who are saying they aren't realistic are 100% correct and they are extremely small. These ARE great decoys though if you use them right.

What I use them for is divers. I have 1 dozen now that are painted black and white. The buffleheads love them and I'm purchasing another dozen for next season. I have a mile walk to where I shoot so these help a lot. I use these mixed in with some soda bottles I painted up and just leave down at the beach I shoot at and the buffleheads drop into them without even thinking twice.

As far as using them for their intended purposes though, I probably wouldn't.
kennycannon
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:I'm sure they have fooled many birds over the years...and will continue to do so...but....when I'm sitting there for hours and when nothing is flying...I want to at least look at something realistic...but that's just me..

You need to read a chapter from "The Old Man and the Boy" called "A Duck Looks Different to Another Duck". In the story, the boy says that theyr duck decoys don't look much like ducks. Ned, the bou's grandfather and mentor, explains that this is a problem with most people, they're selfish. They think they know what a duck sees and doesn't see. And that those decoys will work fine. The story continues and ultimately proves old Ned to be a wise old codger.

Consider this. A duck has monocular vision, meaning he sees out of only one eye at a time. He has no depth perception because of that. He's passing your spread at anywhere between 25 and 50 mph and looking at the blocks (preferably several) with one eye. He's concentrating of the things that seem natural to him, motion, position and basic color schemes. And he is processing this through a brain the size of half a walnut! Do you really think it makes much difference?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting