Wads are flying and ducks are falling in the Carson Valley

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Wads are flying and ducks are falling in the Carson Valley

Postby fishonzac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

We have been hitting it hard since opening day and figured I would post up a report over the weekend. I was lucky enough to get a call from YardGoose to hunt some of his priv. land on Saturday and Sunday down in the Carson Valley. Saturday was a set up over a nice winter wheat field where the birds ducks and geese decoyed perfectly.
Sunday we set up the layouts over flooded fields with deeper potholes. Absolutely hammered the birds both days nothing but big mallards. Couldn't have asked for better hunting plus it is pretty nice to set up the spread in the headlights 5 minutes from home. Thanks again J and D!

Monday was also a great day hunted public land around the valley with another buddy and pulled 5 or 6 mallards, a few gadys, two drake wigeon and a banded goose. Sorry there aren't more pictures the cell phone isn't holding up to well!
Last edited by fishonzac on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishonzac
hunter

Re: Wads are flying and ducks are falling in the Carson Valley

Postby nvhunter5 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Im new to duck hunting nv if ur ever looking for someone to tag along I would love to go and learn plus ill pull my own weight.
nvhunter5
Newb

Postby Yard Goose » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed... So much water to play with.. Lookn for the seven greenies.. Maybe a couple yard geese..
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby deadeyedave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm

I thought that the whole Carson Valley was private? Where is there public land in Carson Valley? You don't have to post it, you can just PM me. I drive thru there all of the time and just drool over the whole area. But congrads on the birds. :thumbsup:
deadeyedave
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 pm

I had so much fun and if it wasn't for my flies and dies motto there would be more green! This weekend is going to be insane tons of snow in Tahoe and the north is getting pounded you know what that means: big mals
fishonzac
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 pm

J, if a few yard geese show up legs down you know that's what we are shooting at! Also just heard a good rumor the spread was about to triple!
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 pm

deadeyedave wrote:I thought that the whole Carson Valley was private? Where is there public land in Carson Valley? You don't have to post it, you can just PM me. I drive thru there all of the time and just drool over the whole area. But congrads on the birds. :thumbsup:

The land is but the river is public.. Think over by Wally's hotsprings is closed to hunting.. Could be wrong about that one.. But the river you can walk it float it. Just watch for pissed off ranchers if your sitting still. Remeber that.. Seen that go down alot... Reason I have leases..
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Lol yard goose. I know it. Small slice surrounded by private and gun club property. Scoute :biggrin: d there a few weeks ago.
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

Behind Wally's is closed and the area around it some hippy bought and turned in a nature conservancy so don't get caught out there! The river can be really good down here you just have to make sure you hit it in the right areas and there are some other areas but they are limited
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am

Nothing like hunting in your own back yard.............sweet.

and a goose band to boot................. great shoot.
Thanks for the pictures.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Goosebuster#1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am

Beautiful bunch of birds. A great start early in the season. Beautiful scenary on top of that. Have often thought what a beautiful area to hunt. Congratulations!
Just because the weather is too bad to go to work, tell me again why I shouldn't go hunting
Goosebuster#1
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks guys and other then the opener which was spent at Stillwater the valley has been really good. Mostly mallards with a few teal and random other ones at twos. Have to work today but thew weather is pretty socked in again so hopefully we will be getting some new birds
fishonzac
hunter

Postby GETTER DONE » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm

looks like your doing great,we will see what this weather brings in should get a few moving.
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
DRAKE WATERFOWL FIELD STAFF
PRECISION CALLS PRO STAFF MANAGER
TANGLEFREE PRO STAFF
GETTER DONE
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Glad to hear that mammoth is getting pounded, I will have to go out for sure this weekend :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Here is the morning Carson Valley Report done by 8:00 with a limit minus one more drake and teal that came after the photo! Check out the red feet on that drake that is a good sign of birds pushing in!
fishonzac
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:32 pm

awesome report and cant wait to get out there! I recently just moved to the carson valley from Vermont and am eager to get back into duck hunting. I have done a lot back east and just bought a lab and she has a good bloodline and we have been taking classes/training for duck hunting. any information where the public land would be greatly appreciated and would also love to go out with someone if they are looking for a fellow hunter...i have whitetail venison in the freezer and would be happy to give some meat up for some duck hunting knowledge...and I need to get my pup some wings! pm me! thanks.
hockeynut
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Welcome to the Valley great place to live! Let me know and I can give you all the duck and chuckar wings you can handle
!
fishonzac
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 am

Thanks! I would love to chat with you if you have any time. Just looking for some spots to go and any advice you may have in the area. I am also considering joining the gardnerville gun club but cant seem to find them on the wed (maybe someone could direct me to them). I am itching to get out..for myself and my puppy!
hockeynut
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting