Calling wood ducks

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Calling wood ducks

Postby DuckDude88 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:30 pm

can anyone refer a call and how to use it?
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:41 am

I use a duck commander wood duck call. Very inexpensive but as effective as wood ducks will allow. You arent really calling in wood ducks, just calling at them for confidence.
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby DuckDude88 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:59 pm

Thanks,

I think i understand wat your saying so instead of calling them in, when i use the call im making them less scared and more confident about swimming or flying over to me??
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby berettaman » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:22 pm

I think Hvacfowler is right on and I just want to mention that this is the first species I mastered on the call.......they are a simple bird to call and will just about always swing in at least a second time to offer a look. Its also one of the few species I have had repeated luck at in picking them up off the water at distance to come in to the decoys. Also, I use a Knight and Hale for $18.
berettaman
hunter

Postby 3inchmagnum1187 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:20 pm

i hunt louisiana, lots of woodies, and believe me, they are not as easy to call in as some people say they are. what is really happening is that you squealin on that woodie call gets them curious. thats' the way to kill a woodie, get him interested in your'e decoys and then shut up. thats' the most effective way i can tell you to call woodies. i blow a DC woodie call and love it, but, if you feel brave, try a flextone, it sounds better but it's harder for me to blow. oh, and by the way, there's some serious dicks on this forum, why are all yall gettin so pissed when someone shoots a different brand shotgun or blows a different kinda duck call than you? what's the deal? my old shootin team's motto used to be "dont' be a ****" i think there's a few folks on here that need to follow that
3inchmagnum1187
Newb

Postby Duckslayer06 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:42 pm

Hey guys, I hunt deep east texas in po-dunk polk county and i hunt in a few slews, and wood ducks are the main thing we hunt, except for the occasional hooded mganzers, But n e ways back to my thing, we hunt often, and the best thing that ive found out to do about the wood ducks is to blow ur call until they show interest and then quit ur call, once they start to make a fall towards ur decoys... smack ur hand on ur leg as to appear the noise of a duck lighting... they get into ur spread and waboom the ducks are in the bag... too bad the limit is two... but what ppl dont know... dont hurt
Duckslayer06
Newb

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum