My Wierd Pond Situation

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

My Wierd Pond Situation

Postby Goose Doctors » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey everyone, I posted this in the puddle duck section to, so sorry if you've already read it but... this has puzzled me for about two years. My grampa owns a farm in SE Wisconsin that I hunt on. So here's the basic laydown of his land, corn and alfalfa fields all around it, a creek and a pond. The creek I've jumped a few wood ducks on over the years and the fields I hunt for geese.

But never have I seen a duck or goose on the pond, but I don't understand why!? The pond is surrounded by shrubs such as honey suckle and a few trees. The pond is lower than everything else (fields and such) Kind of like a bowl. It's a decent sized pond, probably 70 or 80 yards across and about 50 yards wide. the creek passes it about 20 yards away. I can't seem to figure it out though, geese fly over all the time, and ducks too but they are never sitting on it. With all the corn and wooded creek you think ducks or wood ducks would be flocking to it? Has anyone else heard of something like this before? If you need any more info on the pond, ask and I'll try to give you it the best I can.

I would just like to figure out why there's never any waterfowl on what seems to be a perfect hunting pond
Thanks
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: My Wierd Pond Situation

Postby kitasdad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

Is the water possibly too low in comparison to the fields? They might not feel safe if they can't see out at all. Just a guess.
kitasdad
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 am

Bowl ponds are truly astounding. I hunt a few of em. I have one on my land that's deep down in a bowl, surrounded by oaks (=acorns) about 30 yards off a creek (which ive also shot woodies on). So you would think the woodies would love it. But i rarely IF EVER see ducks in it. Then, there's another bowl i hunt, similar layout. Bowlpond, oaks around it, blah blah blah. And i jump woodies out of it damn near every time i go out there. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the ducks.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby merlyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

i would like to add to the mystery and include the retaining,irrigation ponds too.while driving to la crosse from forest co , i passed dozens of ponds that looked perfect to hold birds but almost all were completly empty. a few held small flocks of ducks

and 2 were loaded(50 to 100 geese) near marshfield. any ideas,wild guesses?
if there is a way to make these a breeding site it could be a very good thing .
any info would be appriciated.

thanks,merlyn
merlyn
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

There's probably safer loafing sites in the area that have more to offer. Though I have no idea where they are. :lol3:

Wait and see if this rain creates any ponded spots in the field. I bet there will be birds using those.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm

take me with you and we will try it out I got plenty of decoys we'll make it look like a refuge
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Outlaw, ive been thinking about the same thing! I know a gravel pit a 1/2 mile off of a large river. Just a sandy deep hole... But i Have always thought about what would happen if i put about 10 dozen decoys in it. Seems like a refuge type scenario!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 pm

hell yeah, if birds are flying over it but not going with no ducks sitting there might as well throw everything you got in there and try to run traffic on'em. Ain't got anything to lose so go for broke.

Also I'd add a lot of motion, depending on how many guys you have hunting maybe run 2 or 3 jerk cords with some mojos if ya got'm. If sweet talkin them don't work try shock and awe.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks guys, its good to hear some answers.. i had heard some ofthese things about bowl ponds, my grandpa thinks that since its kind of built right under this big hill and its so shrubbed up they just dont feel safe. Had a fantastic weekend hunting geese in the fields though! Saw more geese landing all around my dekes that I didn't even know what to do. Good luck guys!
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm

i got my two geese sunday and watched several flocks land in my spread and walk around for an hour or so feeding and eventually left and i watched them fly to the water and loaf
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby reliablefr » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 am

Outlaw, ive been thinking about the same thing! I know a gravel pit a 1/2 mile off of a large river. Just a sandy deep hole... But i Have always thought about what would happen if i put about 10 dozen decoys in it. Seems like a refuge type scenario!

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Elsawin 3,9
obd2
reliablefr
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting