Cat Island NWR

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Cat Island NWR

Postby Rouxdroppings » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:22 am

Has anyone been to Cat Island lately or have any info on past experiences there? Thinking about trying it out this year and wondering if water is way to high.
Rouxdroppings
hunter

Cat Island NWR

Postby blacknwhite71 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm going out there tomorrow, the river is really low right now. From what I'm told the place gets shut down when the river comes up.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Cat Island NWR

Postby blacknwhite71 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Well I found some awesome looking spots, but its going to take a whole lot of walking. I'm going to have to leave some old decoys hidden back there and walk in. No birds yet so it could be a bust but well see when they start making there way down.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Re: Cat Island NWR

Postby Rouxdroppings » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah I read it closes at 21' but I think when it gets close it will be some good hunting. I've hunted private land that backs up to it and saw a good bit of birds. Thanks for the post ill get another one next weekend and let u know what I see
Rouxdroppings
hunter

Postby southernsoldier » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:10 pm

There used to be awesome hunting in cat island but just like almost every place else its slowed down in recent years... if you can get the river up and get some water int he timber and catch a good cold front you can get mallards eating on acorns... youll see woodies and mergansers too and of course teal.... just hunt the weather and the river...... the places you found now are probably the lakes ont he property? They can be good too after a nice rain when they pook up and the water isnt in the woods.... i havent scouted there yet this year but last year hunted a property that butts up to it and saw some birds..... hope that helps! good luck. Corey D
southernsoldier
hunter

Postby Rouxdroppings » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am

When I went the water was extremely high throughout the woods. The place I saw a lot of birds was by the lake your talking about on the south side of the reserve. Would be a LONG walk though. Hopefully I can a find a spot I can get closer by boat. If y'all find anything good out there keep me updated and ill do the same
Rouxdroppings
hunter

Cat Island NWR

Postby blacknwhite71 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah I found a lake that looks good. I fish around there in the river and it's a short run by boat for us from the new roads side of the river, but I read that you are not allowed to enter the nwr from a boat and all boats must be hand launched from inside the NWR. Is this true?
blacknwhite71
hunter

Postby southernsoldier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 am

Yes its VERY TRUE!!! do not get caught entering by boat.... i used to put my canoe in the back of my truck (no trailers either) and launch at the little canal by the parking spot closest to the lake you are talking about, then i would paddle the slough all the way to the lake... leads rigth to it.... everything else you gotta hump it in....
southernsoldier
hunter

Cat Island NWR

Postby Sclf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 am

I've been thinking about hunting cat island for years but never have. I have a camp on the solitude property which is right next door to the refuge. I usually just deer hunt up there though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sclf
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting