Looking for a true diver hunt

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Looking for a true diver hunt

Postby lost » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Down here in OK, I don't really have this option. It has been on my to-do list for a while, and I am looking for a reputable place to go, somewhere that will teach me more about this type of hunting, not just put me on the birds. Can anyone recommend a place for true layout boat diver hunting? Thanks.
lost
hunter

Re: Looking for a true diver hunt

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:56 pm

East coast bays or Texas gulf or any large open body of water that is known to hold migrating birds. Not sure how far you are willing to travel but there are many of places.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby lost » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:East coast bays or Texas gulf or any large open body of water that is known to hold migrating birds. Not sure how far you are willing to travel but there are many of places.

I grew up hunting the Upper TX Gulf Coast, and I'm familiar with all of the bay hunts for pintail and redhead and the Rockport limits. I'm looking for layout boat hunting on big water for Bluebills, Buffies and Canvasback. I want to do a true layout hunt.
lost
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:12 pm

lost wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:East coast bays or Texas gulf or any large open body of water that is known to hold migrating birds. Not sure how far you are willing to travel but there are many of places.

I grew up hunting the Upper TX Gulf Coast, and I'm familiar with all of the bay hunts for pintail and redhead and the Rockport limits. I'm looking for layout boat hunting on big water for Bluebills, Buffies and Canvasback. I want to do a true layout hunt.

Well thats all big water down south but if its not what you are looking for then I would turn to the Northern Atlantic coast like the chesapeake or even the great lakes. Plenty of large divers in those areas plus sea ducks like old squaw and brant
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby goosman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:04 pm

If ya come up to Michigan I'll take ya we've killed 75 divers this year in the western Saginaw bay I have hunted all over my favorite place to diver hunt is Detroit river lake stclair and Saginaw bay u can't go wrong every species goes through Saginaw bay last year we met some guys at the launch that pounded old squaw and scooters all morning
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby lost » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 am

goosman wrote:If ya come up to Michigan I'll take ya we've killed 75 divers this year in the western Saginaw bay I have hunted all over my favorite place to diver hunt is Detroit river lake stclair and Saginaw bay u can't go wrong every species goes through Saginaw bay last year we met some guys at the launch that pounded old squaw and scooters all morning

I would love to. That sounds like a blast. I'm trying to branch out more. I hunted mostly gaddies, widgeon, teal, pintail on the coast, and a mallard was a trophy duck. Then I moved to the TX panhandle, and mallards were everywhere with fifteen other species, but mostly mallards. OK hunting is mostly mallards with pintail, teal and widegon thrown in the mix. I have only killed one Can in my life, some bluebills in the salt marsh, and plenty of redheads on the TX coast. I'm ready for Broadbills, Cans, Old Squaw, Scoter, Goldeneye, etc. I want to try some true layout boat hunting. I have a Momarsh for the shallow water, but I think I would really like a true layout hunt with the birds skimming the water. I can't even imagine something like that.
lost
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting