what ducks can not by shot in vermont

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

what ducks can not by shot in vermont

Postby vt duck » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

i'm looking for what ducks can't be shot in vermont? and what are the limits on ducks that are not listed on the SYLLABUS list?
vt duck
hunter

Re: what ducks can not by shot in vermont

Postby chambo32 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm

harlequin and grebes come to mind. Although i don't think grebes are a duck. They will swim into your decoys. obviously loons and everyones favorite comorants..... can't be shot.

What is not listed is 6 birds, ie goldeneye and teal are the most common around here that are not listed that default to 6.
chambo32
hunter

Postby vt duck » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 pm

what about buffle head ducks
vt duck
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 am

it says in there somewhere that ducks not specifically mentioned in the limits you can get six of. so six buffies, but no harlequins cuz it says that in the list
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 am

Let me just simplify things for you. If you can't be bothered to read the syllabus... You can't shoot ANY ducks... :thumbsup:
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 am

also do not forget you can shoot 6 mergansers a day in addition to the 6 bird limit,however you can only shoot 1 hooded merganser out of that 6 additional birds!

My suggestion too you,...............READ THE SYLLABUS.................Learn to identify ducks found in Vermont................and listen to the feed back from this forum,good or bad, except it.... and do not let it put you in your feelings! Do your homework and then ask questions about what you do not understand!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby vt duck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 am

i have read the SYLLABUS and it doesn't mention a few of the ducks that we are able to shoot here in vermont. there for that is why i was asking, and i have tried to research this and found no info. i don't understand why it seems that if anyone ask something on here if they they are not sure they get hammered for it.
vt duck
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 am

You get "hammered" for it because the syllabus is pretty cut and dry. It tells you exactly what you cannot shoot and gives you limits on the ones that they want limited. Anything not listed just counts toward your aggregate 6. Asking this question is almost like asking when duck season opens. Read and digest... Don't skim it and ask someone else to read it for you.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am

It is 5 mergansers in addition to your 6 ducks and no more than two of the merganaser can be hoodies........

There is nothing in the syalbus about ducks not specifically listed defaulting to 6 birds. It is worded very passively.

There is a massive document called "title 50 of code of regulations" and I looked at that briefly and could not find where it says what is not listed defaults to 6 as a normal person looking at regulations would be looking to see as to reassure them they are ok to shot 6 teal......

It is easy for us experinced hunters to forget how intimidating waterfowl hunting can be when you are new to it and the rules and regulations are not explict for example: possession limit and baiting. Let alone identifying ducks flying early in the am.

I think vt duck's question is a good one and those types of questions are good to be discussed on the forums as to help other hunters who might not have known.
chambo32
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 am

The syllabus clearly states the your "daily limit" is 6 DUCKS. It then proceeds to say that you cannot lawfully take a Harlequin and gives you the limits for specific sexes of certain species and a limit in total for species. These parameters are set by states. All other species not indicated default to federal law which to my knowledge does not exclude the taking of any game on a state by state basis. Nor does it limit the taking of said game which would mean you default to your particular states "daily limit".

I personally feel that is pretty clear, they are giving you a "duck" limit then subsequently defining particular species they wish to "protect" via smaller parameters within the whole. If an exclusion is not present it indicates anything of that genre.

I will give you that certain aspects of the syllabus are pretty tricky, such as baiting laws. But as far as limits and species go, I feel it's pretty clean cut.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby Wyatt1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Vinci-

Why such a D-Bag? The guy was just looking for a bit of help and you jump all over him. I commend him for coming out and asking. I have seen way too many times, people shoot at birds because they think that they are ducks, only to find out that they had no idea what they were shooting at or had killed (even on this forum). The responsible thing is to be able to identify birds on the wing, and to know the limits of each. If you are ignorant to that, you have no business pulling the trigger, but Vt-Duck just wanted to clarify. Better to ask now than to shoot and ask later.

Vt-Duck

If a species is not mentioned as being restricted in any way on the syllabus, then you can take 6 of that species (with the exception of mergansers which have a separate limit)

Common species that you may take 6 of in Vermont include:

Wigeon
Ring Neck
Teal (all species)
Goldeneye (both species)
Bufflehead
Gadwall

Good Luck out there.
MOJO Mallards are gay
Wyatt1
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Why such a D-bag? Because ignorance is my kryptonite, the doctors give me pills for it but I don't believe they are working. My sincerest apologies for sounding like a prick. :beer:
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 am

Chambo,my bad on the mergansers! I would have swore it was six and only one hooded! I reread the syllabus when I got in my truck that morning and realized I was wrong in my post,but knew someone would correct me! Just wasn't looking forward to seeing it!LOL I hate it when I am wrong!LOL :bow:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby ronvt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:55 am

Usually, someone who asks these type of questions are fairly new to duck hunting, not always, but usually. I think as an avid waterfowler, it is part of the sport to educate others and try to answer questions in a thoughtful sincere way, since we were all beginners at some time. Having hunted ducks for a long time, I find myself asking syllabus questions every year at one of the waterfowl meetings. (i.e. Is it legal to use decoy corn? I was told for five years the answer was no, until this year; I have had people show up to my blind 2 hours before hunting time and try to hunt it. I have had people try to kick my friends out of the blind I help build with them. I was told my whole hunting career that blinds are unenforceable. Until this year.; Is it legal to set up within 75 yards of another hunter. I consider that interfering with my hunt which is an infraction.)
The syllabus is designed to answer most questions but certaintly does not answer them all. I also commend you for asking this question. This used to be called a Gentelmens sport for a reason.
ronvt
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 am

The placement of signs is not enforceable,you can put a sign out that marks where you intend to hunt,in september,and someone can come along and pull your sign put theres in and there is nothing you can do about it,except put your sign there again! If you build a blind on that spot,and you have a sign on it,if you show up to hunt out of that blind and someone is in it,you have the right to kick them out,but if they do not want to leave,then what? Until you locate a warden,what is your plan of action?
You are right about the 75 yard buffer,that is not enough space between blinds! But that will also lead to more issues with blinds! Wardens do not want to deal with these issues,and who is right and who is wrong,wardens do not know who put what sign on what spot first,so really what is the solution? State assigned locations for blinds! Lottery drawings for blind sites?It could get ugly! :huh:

I had a guy take my sign off my blind on Lake Champlain last year and put his sign on it,the blind I built! Did I check the sign when I pulled up that morning,no,.. because it was my blind! What kind of crap is that? I replaced my sign but still, this is not behavior of a "Gentleman",!

I called the number on the sign and confronted him on it and he said...."You took my spot...I have had a blind there in the past and you moved in on my spot!" I built that blind the day it was legal to build blinds on the Lake,and there were no other blinds in sight! Or any indication of a blind being there in the past! Then he says ..."Its my blind now"....and I said ..."No I am affraid it is not since I put my sign back on it and notified the wardens about the issue!" He say.."We'll see about that!" and hung up on me! Now the best part.....Wardens said we had to work it out amoungst ourselves because it is not for them to decide who gets to hunt out of the blind!

So when an issue like this comes up whats the answer? For me,I was not comfortable going back out to the blind if I had to worry about some jerk being there and having to deal with it,sort of takes away from the fun of duck hunting! If you are stressing about it the whole ride up to the lake,while launching the boat,and the ride to the blind,wondering if you are going to get into a fight over your blind! So I took a chain saw up there about noon one day and cut it up!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 am

Burn it down or cut it up, that was your best bet Pete.

This is precisley why I invested a TON of money into a nice boat and blind. This is also why though I live 2 miles from the Sandbar and don't hunt there. To many idiots and kids.

pete/pmr wrote:The placement of signs is not enforceable,you can put a sign out that marks where you intend to hunt,in september,and someone can come along and pull your sign put theres in and there is nothing you can do about it,except put your sign there again! If you build a blind on that spot,and you have a sign on it,if you show up to hunt out of that blind and someone is in it,you have the right to kick them out,but if they do not want to leave,then what? Until you locate a warden,what is your plan of action?
You are right about the 75 yard buffer,that is not enough space between blinds! But that will also lead to more issues with blinds! Wardens do not want to deal with these issues,and who is right and who is wrong,wardens do not know who put what sign on what spot first,so really what is the solution? State assigned locations for blinds! Lottery drawings for blind sites?It could get ugly! :huh:

I had a guy take my sign off my blind on Lake Champlain last year and put his sign on it,the blind I built! Did I check the sign when I pulled up that morning,no,.. because it was my blind! What kind of crap is that? I replaced my sign but still, this is not behavior of a "Gentleman",!

I called the number on the sign and confronted him on it and he said...."You took my spot...I have had a blind there in the past and you moved in on my spot!" I built that blind the day it was legal to build blinds on the Lake,and there were no other blinds in sight! Or any indication of a blind being there in the past! Then he says ..."Its my blind now"....and I said ..."No I am affraid it is not since I put my sign back on it and notified the wardens about the issue!" He say.."We'll see about that!" and hung up on me! Now the best part.....Wardens said we had to work it out amoungst ourselves because it is not for them to decide who gets to hunt out of the blind!

So when an issue like this comes up whats the answer? For me,I was not comfortable going back out to the blind if I had to worry about some jerk being there and having to deal with it,sort of takes away from the fun of duck hunting! If you are stressing about it the whole ride up to the lake,while launching the boat,and the ride to the blind,wondering if you are going to get into a fight over your blind! So I took a chain saw up there about noon one day and cut it up!
RangerX
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 pm

What I've found in decades of Vermont hunting is that if you have a good spot on a public place, you need to get out there a lot, put up a stake or a blind, and let everyone you see know that you intend to use that place. In my experience, most people are respectful and give you your spot. It also lead to knowing everyone else that uses the area, you can all give each other room. I've never heard of people taking over a blind by force, that sounds outrageous. You were totally right to saw that %*&^er up. Now make sure to go back with your boat and hunt there as much as possible. Somebody that would try to do that deserves to have nowhere to hunt.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

magogwhacker wrote:What I've found in decades of Vermont hunting is that if you have a good spot on a public place, you need to get out there a lot, put up a stake or a blind, and let everyone you see know that you intend to use that place. In my experience, most people are respectful and give you your spot. It also lead to knowing everyone else that uses the area, you can all give each other room.

Getting out there often sounds great unless you live 2 hours away from the spot you love to hunt, such as my situation.

For a couple of seasons I went to quite a bit of effort to make a really nice sign and place it where I wanted to hunt out of my boat blind only to show up the afternoon before the opener to have a look around and find my sign was gone. That really irked me - both times - so I made sure I showed up early and got to "the" notice I did not say "my" spot first. What I have learned is Public land = it is first come first served. That being said I would never pull someone elses sign or set up in or on top of their blind because I respect their right to be there and if they got there first then shame on me for not getting up earlier :lol3:

I love to duck hunt for the sport of it, the time afield and most importantly to me, time with my Dad, my brother in law and nephew, my friends and in a season or two - my own children. The last thing I want to do is go out and get into a confrontation with someone over something I don't own or have a legal right to. I have found that if you are hunting a large area and there are a lot of hunters on the marsh there are no "magic" spots that produce more birds. Once the ducks start getting ping ponged around the marsh nearly everyone gets a shot or two. If you can make your set up look like a safe haven then you win!!

Anyway, sorry to push the conversation further off topic. Now about that syllabus :beer: :beer:
Lavman
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Syllabus-- An integrated course of academic studies?
vlb
hunter

Postby joyfulsound866 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm

I found a nice public place with a big waterhole and a small puddle. The puddle was like an acre or less, and there was a huge blind built. So there was only room for them. What do you all think about that? I really wanted to hunt there, but I wont hunt in an area even if that blind would be empty lest I get booted out cuz they were there first and "have claimed it"

I'm gonna make it my mission this year to be extra mobile, get in where no one else wants to get, and get a small boat! Get in where the ducks wanna be, not what looks "ducky" to me!
joyfulsound866
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:10 am

I have made a rack on my boat to carry a kayak,so my plan is to set out with the boat and make for tight shallow areas where others cannot get with a boat and motor,then tie the boat out and paddle in to the honey hole! Plan on scouting spots this summer! Gonna float in and gps the locations,have been using google earth to do some aerial scouting! :thumbsup: This year I am going to be all alone and hopefully confrontationally free! :grooving:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5