new to calling geese

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

new to calling geese

Postby CUT'EM! » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 am

i live in SC so really the only geese we see are honkers. i have never used a goose call before and have no idea about all this lingo you boys are using when it comes to "broke in guts" of a "fast call" or really any of it. i really just picked up a duck call about a year and a half ago and have gotten pretty good at calling (fast learner and i really blow it everytime im in the car as i am in sales so lots of driving) so before i just go and drop $100+ on a call what would be yalls advice on a call to get? i dont care about price or how easy it is to work bc i think i can just figure it out , or is it not that easy on these things? any advice would be great thanks in advance.

looking at wrecking ball, mongoose , warbird, ???????????
CUT'EM!
hunter

Re: new to calling geese

Postby apg36820 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am

I started calling about a year ago. I went ahead and purcahsed a Lynch Mob Slipknot on the advice of my roommate. i am very pleased with it. The other thing that i picked up which has helped me alot was the Bad Grammer DVD by scott threinen. really helped with the basics of calling and getting basics notes down. once you somewhat master the notes it makes it really easy to put them together in sequence. The lynch mob is plenty fast enough for me and also has a bit of a deep sound which I like. i think the geese here in missouri seem to like it as well.
apg36820
hunter

Re: new to calling geese

Postby tripleb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm

CUT'EM! wrote:i live in SC so really the only geese we see are honkers. i have never used a goose call before and have no idea about all this lingo you boys are using when it comes to "broke in guts" of a "fast call" or really any of it. i really just picked up a duck call about a year and a half ago and have gotten pretty good at calling (fast learner and i really blow it everytime im in the car as i am in sales so lots of driving) so before i just go and drop $100+ on a call what would be yalls advice on a call to get? i dont care about price or how easy it is to work bc i think i can just figure it out , or is it not that easy on these things? any advice would be great thanks in advance.

looking at wrecking ball, mongoose , warbird, ???????????

You might also look at Molt Gear (Scott Threinen) EX3D and get the Bad Grammer DVD while you're at it. I tuned mine up a little higher than it came and the geese really like it so far. It's got a very good "goosey" resonance, is pretty easy to blow and only costs $50.00. Whatever call you end up getting, buy the Bad Grammer DVD. It's the best $20 you will have ever spent on goose hunting equipment.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum