Mighty Layout Boys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Mighty Layout Boys

Postby chessie_nc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Has anyone heard anything out of the MLB lately? I ordered a boat and sent a deposit check in June. I was expecting it in late July/August and havent seen it yet. Cant get a return phone call either. Any thoughts or comments welcomed.
chessie_nc
hunter

Re: Mighty Layout Boys

Postby GREGS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Jammie delivered a bunch of boats to the Tuckerton show.
Are you calling his cell? He usally gets back to you pretty quick.
Pm me if you need that #.
GREGS
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I bought a boat from him last year. I ordered the boat and paid my deposit in July and received I received the boat in November. It took a while, but definately worth the wait. Jamie was very apologetic about the delay. He made it right. I'd buy another boat from him any time.
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby chessie_nc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Still no boat or returned phone call in almost 5 months. Many messages left. Anyone else running into this problem?
chessie_nc
hunter

Postby Strick9 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I am not in any way knocking Jamie here but I recently had a simlar issue with MLB. I called, emailed Jamie a couple of times as I had researched a ton on layouts and being 6'4" had decided on the MLB Supermag. I didn't have his personal cell and just used the contact info on the website. Things happen no doubt and I hope MLB is doing well and Jamie is doing well but I never heard a word back and wound up buying a UFO instead, which I drove to Ohio to pick up from Tony Homer. Tony Homer was a perfect seller and it was a smooth transaction. He returned every call, called to update me on my boats progress several times and actually called several more times to check in on my drive progress. In addition he set me up with another delivery back to my area which cut down on my travel expense and helped us both out.

The UFO has been great. I would still like to try a Lake Bonneville Big Brother and a MLB supermag at some point for personal comparisons. If I was shorter I would have no doubt gone with the Core Sound spoken of in the next post below and to give the guys at Core Sound kudos they didn't try to sell me on their boat after we spoke about my concerns with size and comfort level.

I hope the MLB boys get you straight. Keep us posted.
Last edited by Strick9 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Genesis 9;2
Strick9
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Sorry about your luck with the MLB. If you do decide to go with another boat, check out the Ambusher by Core Sound Layout Boats. It is an awesome rig and is built right here in NC so you will be able to save on shipping.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ryoung » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 am

i have tried to call jamie for a month now and no return calls not good buisness
ryoung
Newb

Postby fowl mouth » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:42 pm

+1 for core sound they make a great boat.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby MDF » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:16 pm

In the last two years two guys I have hunted with bought MLB's. I decided this last winter that running my one man wood layout was getting old and it was time to upgrade to a two man MLB. Called, called and called again. Left messages............ NEVER heard a thing from them :mad: .

Went out and bought a new Tender boat which is being made now. Talked to the owner of the company that is building my tender who has solely bought many MLB's for his customers. Seems MLB has fallen off the face of the earth and returns no one calls. Now I am hearing rumors of some bad boats being built by them and many unhappy potential and past customers. I have officially given up on them and luckily found someone who will build me a two man layout :smile: .
MDF
Newb

Postby BullCan73 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

I ordered and sent a deposit to these guys over a year ago, I have not had any luck making contact with them, if anybody has any contact info could you please share it with me. Thanks
BullCan73
Newb

Postby hankyorke » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Check the BBB database. Pretty sure they are outta business and have LOTS of complaints.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:58 pm

From the info I have heard, (still mostly unconfirmed) MLB is out of business. The BBB has a few cases. I know there are three guys in the NW that were waiting on paid boats.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby goosman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:47 pm

that's too bad I have hunted out of a 2 man and loved it wish this would not have happen hopefully someone can purchase the molds and start reproducing a good product again.
If its not flying its not dyin,Deer Hunters are like nagging wifes, My boat sounds like an old shovelhead harley.
goosman
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Their web site no longer works..........That can't be good.
don novicki
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:31 pm

goosman wrote:that's too bad I have hunted out of a 2 man and loved it wish this would not have happen hopefully someone can purchase the molds and start reproducing a good product again.

I spoke to a guy at the launch that had an MLB 2 man. He had to send it back something like 2 times because it kept cracking. It was cracked again on the day I was talking to him and he had given up getting it fixed. This was the kevlar version.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby LayedOut » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

Those Kevlar boats were pretty pricey!
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting