Calling specks in South LA - help!

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Calling specks in South LA - help!

Postby Marshwalker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Hey guys i was looking for some advice from anyone that knows how to work a speck call. Ive been duck hunting in south LA my whole life and went on a couple speck hunts last year and have been hooked since. Nothing better than a big chicken barrel rolling into your spread. I went ahead and joined a lease with a guy i know in SW Louisiana. I have gone out the past couple days and practiced some. A buddy of mine told me to buy Primos shaved reed speck call. I feel like when im blowing i just cant get the reed to break and not sure if this is the right call for a beginner speck caller. Ive seen some videos and know the different calls to make i just cant make the sound come out how i want to. I cant find any techniques on actually how to blow.. If you guys could give me some pointers or tell me where i can look i would highly appreciate it. Thanks! :help:
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Re: Calling specks in South LA - help!

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 pm

I've owned that call and wouldn't think it an easy one to start on. If $65 isn't too much, do yourself the favor of getting a poly Riceland to learn the ropes on. May well be all the call you'll ever want. Well, no, once you've started working specks yourself and are really hooked, you'll want to try others. But the Riceland will probably be one you hang onto.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 am

Another vote for riceland. If not that then try an rnt.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks guys- will give it a try.
The only duck call i have ever used is Haydels Dirty Rice Mallard. When im picking out speck call what is the bid difference when it comes to poly and acrylic? Also how can i get my hands on one of these calls? I checked cabelas and bass pro and both no go. Thanks in advance.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't know where you live, but some Louisiana sporting goods carry the poly. Know G&H in Gueydan does. And you can always Google Riceland Calls for their site.

Re: acrylic verses poly, the former will be a bit crisper or sharper sounding.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 pm

I've always thought the acrylic versions of calls sounded better, and more crisp.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Another vote for RICELAND CUSTOM CALLS!!!! As far as the difference in the poly and acrylic calls, you won't really be able to tell any difference when it comes to the Riceland calls. Mr. Meyers does all the calls himself by hand. Even the ploys look amazing. I have 4 calls from them and they do everything and more that I need them to do. You can call Mr. Meyers and talk to him directly and he can walk you through how to run the call. His calls are the easiest goose calls to run that I have ever used.

And if you are in aw Louisiana you should be pretty close to him. He lives in Sulphur.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby POSTALCRITTER » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Don't give up on that Primos 'shaved reed " call yet. If you are blowing it with one hand as they show you to do in their (Primos) instructional DVD you need to use your fingertip (index or middle finger) to quickly and partly cover the end of the call on the second note of your yodel in order to get it to "break". The timing is critical. Take your time. Also, try using two hands on the call, creating an 'echo chamber". This will make the call come to life. I don't know why they dont demonstrate this method but it will seem like a different call. Learn to use both methods. Good Luck
POSTALCRITTER
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum