Rig-em-right long line question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Rig-em-right long line question

Postby WBH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 am

How far apart do you guys hang dekes on the main line if you have say 18" drops? My hunting buddy just picked up a couple sets of rig-em-right long lines and I am curious what distance others hang theirs. My buddy thinks they should be aprox. 36" apart if the drops are 18" so not to hit each other. I however envision the main line sinking 18" due to the drop length therefore the dekes could be closer unless of course you've got some serious wind. Even with wind I would think that would just turn them into the wind and still be fine 12" or less apart. Thoughts?
WBH
hunter

Re: Rig-em-right long line question

Postby flopper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

Anywhere from 3 -8 ft is fine depending on how long u have your mainlines and how many dekes u want per line. All of the drops are the same length so the wind blows them all in the same direction. Havent had a problem yet. We have a dozen spaced out 6-8 ft. Cuz thats what fits in our totes
flopper
Newb

Postby WBH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

Really? That far apart huh, I was thinking closer in order to put more on each mother line.
WBH
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:40 pm

I run about 6' feet on my seaduck lines. Although for pairs I have run two per hook up before. Just attach the second bird to the back of the one attached to the longline. Just an idea. You could run closer though depending on conditions, give thought to the dog too if you're using one, assuming you are if you're running droppers. Good luck
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby petrel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm

We use 30" droppers and try to vary the distance between the mainline attachments (from 2 to 8') with decreasing space closer to the intended landing zone. The mainline will sink to the dropper length. We also attempt to stagger the decoys on parallel mainlines so they don't end up side by side.
petrel
hunter

Postby WBH » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Good info guys thanks for the replies!
WBH
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting