Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Anyone know what the deal is with the work being done on the lake. They drained it before I left for Mississippi and I remember they didnt do any work for a while. Did they ever get anything done or did they just drain the lake and not do any of the work? Hows the water level.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm

How about the question should be " what is the mud level like? "

trail from 90 ramp was bone dry today.
marshnole11
hunter

Re: Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

marshnole11 wrote:How about the question should be " what is the mud level like? "

trail from 90 ramp was bone dry today.

This.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:01 am

Better have a boat that gets super skinny. I believe the level it's at currently will stay the same throughout the season. There's nothing else they can do to get it any lower, as far as opening any gates or diverting any water.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 am

waterdogds wrote:Better have a boat that gets super skinny. I believe the level it's at currently will stay the same throughout the season. There's nothing else they can do to get it any lower, as far as opening any gates or diverting any water.

I do... :wink: If I run out of water, I'll just piss off the front and be back in business.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:
waterdogds wrote:Better have a boat that gets super skinny. I believe the level it's at currently will stay the same throughout the season. There's nothing else they can do to get it any lower, as far as opening any gates or diverting any water.

I do... :wink: If I run out of water, I'll just piss off the front and be back in business.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:07 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: any word of the dredging and burning they talked about doing?
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I havent heard anything more lately and Im with the FWC every week. They had the pump still in last I heard. Only option to hunt this year may be on the reeves side of the lake.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:I havent heard anything more lately and Im with the FWC every week. They had the pump still in last I heard. Only option to hunt this year may be on the reeves side of the lake.

Are they making any progress towards completing this project? Or will this be going on during the season and after?
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 pm

It will be ongoing for sure. Mainly they are working around the ramps to clear out the area. So they will start digging out the muck to begin with. The last I heard was they were trying to determine where they are going to put all that silt off the bottom.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby bbbb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 am

We put in there last week and it was low low low. Only made it 1/2 mile south before the trail got too shallow to continue.

Last I heard, they still wanted a few more feet out of the lake so they could dredge each landing appropriately.

This has definitely been a cluster. They were suppose to "pull the plug" on the plans if they got a Tropical System that could fill the lake back up. Well guess what? We got one and they still continued to pump.

Then when they started pumping water out of the lake, they did thousand in damage to the spillway.
bbbb
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Had to drive through that area yesterday afternoon so I rode down to Rococo to see what the lake looked like. Honestly, if you haven't been out there in a while, it'll make you sick when you see what the lake has become. The only water visible was in the boat basin directly around the landing, and the main trail that runs straight out across the lake. Even though there was some water in it, I don't know that even that trail will be navigable without getting out there and running my boat. It only added insult to injury that I watched a little sandpiper walk casually across part of the trail that looked to be "deeper" than the rest.

There are other places to hunt, and fortunately I drew 4 STA permits this year...I just have to keep reminding myself of those things to keep from losing my mind over this other. :mad:

We may get lucky and experience a slight improvement in hunting after this project is completed, but make no mistake about it, none of the work they're doing out there right now is legitimitely intended to improve waterfowl habitat or hunting...all they're doing is making the lake more accessible and easier to navigate for fishermen.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby PARTY-FOWL » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey Duck Dog... you gonna keep the sky busting to a minimum this season?? :mad:
PARTY-FOWL
Newb

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 pm

PARTY-FOWL wrote:Hey Duck Dog... you gonna keep the sky busting to a minimum this season?? :mad:

Not sure who you are...I'm assuming you're either joking, or have me mistaken for someone else?

But sure, I'll try :rolleyes:
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby bdub » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 am

PARTY-FOWL wrote:Hey Duck Dog... you gonna keep the sky busting to a minimum this season?? :mad:

He is the worst ever
bdub
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 am

If I'm hunting in Leon county, I'll try to limit myself to skybusting only on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays...I was just trying to be cool and fit in, since that seems to be the popular thing to do around here. :yes:
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am

You have been charged with skybusting duckdawg. How do you plea?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am

Update:

Already camping in my secret spot north of gator holes watching hundreds of drake widgeon/pintail hybrids dump into my spot. Gunna be fun on Saturday.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

That's my spot...get out.

If you don't, I'll cuss you out and threaten to kick your ass from the safety of my boat, and tell you how I've been hunting that same hole for 7 years. If that doesn't work, I'll just set up 60 yards to the south of you and cut you off.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby bdub » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:Update:

Already camping in my secret spot north of gator holes watching hundreds of drake widgeon/pintail hybrids dump into my spot. Gunna be fun on Saturday.

I dont see anybody? :huh:
bdub
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 pm

bdub wrote:

Exactly. New pop up blind must be doing the trick. Man these cinnamon teal love these new snow goose deeks I got
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:48 pm

It's not dark enough yet. Once the sun goes down, the solar-powered yard lights that I've got staked out will start coming on...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:
bdub wrote:

Exactly. New pop up blind must be doing the trick. Man these cinnamon teal love these new snow goose deeks I got

Its the golden eye dekes that really do the trick. Those cinnimons love them, along with my new mojo woodduck, im counting on that thing
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:19 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:It's not dark enough yet. Once the sun goes down, the solar-powered yard lights that I've got staked out will start coming on...

I've had my decoy boat lights up since last week so technically it's already my spot
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby bbbb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:If I'm hunting in Leon county, I'll try to limit myself to skybusting only on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays...I was just trying to be cool and fit in, since that seems to be the popular thing to do around here. :yes:

Hey you can't kill em if you don't shoot at em.

Surveys show, 100% of the ducks you don't shoot at, survive their flight over your blind, and eventually get shot at by someone else. Don't let others shoot at your ducks first.
bbbb
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting