Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am

Well I made a journey to micc today with the FWC once again. I rode with two biologists Wednesday and we launched out of Rococo and headed out the trail that dumps into it from the center of the lake. We ran to the center of the lake and about 100yd diameter of the area had a few inches of water, but mostly mud and silt. At that junction we took a left turn to the north toward Reeves down a main trail to the next three way junction not far from Hopkins and then went back south to 90. The trail to 90 is almost totally dry including down at the flood gates. We left here and ran the East shoreline all the way to Reeves then back to Rococo. Saw a total of about a dozen birds the whole trip out. I would say the lake is about 80-85% dry minus Reeves and a few sporadic deep holes. We were marking the trails on the GPS so we know the boundaries for burning. They say burning tussecks is scheduled to take place in January or February. Their main goal is to get rid of the ones in the middle of the lake or most everything on the inside of the shoreline trails. They also have plans to burn outside the 90 trail as well. The pump at 90 will be moved to Rococo in the next week or two and they will begin to pump water out there too so they can begin scraping the bottom at the ramps and on some of the trails. There is a lot of work to be done on the lake and Im sure some of you guys are upset, but its land management. Takes time to complete projects like these and to keep it maintained. Will report when I know more.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters


Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 am

Here is the trail from Rococo, its about 3-4ft wide.
trail1.jpg


Here is a pic of the gates at HWY 90
90.jpg

90-1.jpg


This is the trail at 90 looking north. You can see what I mean when I say its totally dried.
trail90.jpg
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 am

Pumping rococo will be the nail in the coffin for miccossukee this year. I hunted out there a few times over Thanksgiving and that trail was on its last leg...If I slowed down for even a second, I was stuck. Even over the course of 3 days it became noticeably more difficult to run that trail, as water continued to drain. The back of the lake was just like you said, a few hundred square yards of inch deep water and mud, and everything else was dry. Running south from reeves, I was able to make it a few hundred yards beyound Hopkins where the trial splits for the last time, but all that's left down there is the channel, or what's now a creek about 3ft. wide, steadily draining water out of the back of the lake.

It's sad to see the lake like it is, but I'm glad they're out there actively doing work and making progress. Hopefully the lake rebounds for next year and will see improvements in the long run. Are they only scheduled to burn tussecks or do they plan to burn off the vegetation on the dry lake bed as well? Are they going to burn the back of the lake?
DUCK-DAWG
hunter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Thomasville, GA/N. FL

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Pumping rococo will be the nail in the coffin for miccossukee this year. I hunted out there a few times over Thanksgiving and that trail was on its last leg...If I slowed down for even a second, I was stuck. Even over the course of 3 days it became noticeably more difficult to run that trail, as water continued to drain. The back of the lake was just like you said, a few hundred square yards of inch deep water and mud, and everything else was dry. Running south from reeves, I was able to make it a few hundred yards beyound Hopkins where the trial splits for the last time, but all that's left down there is the channel, or what's now a creek about 3ft. wide, steadily draining water out of the back of the lake.

It's sad to see the lake like it is, but I'm glad they're out there actively doing work and making progress. Hopefully the lake rebounds for next year and will see improvements in the long run. Are they only scheduled to burn tussecks or do they plan to burn off the vegetation on the dry lake bed as well? Are they going to burn the back of the lake?

It is upsetting to see, but like you said its progress. Even in the airboat we got stuck a couple times because it was so dry. They will be burning mostly the problem tussecks however some of the other high grass and overgrown areas will also be burned like the area around highway 90 trail. Im sure they may attempt another run on the back side of the lake because they are getting GPS lines of all trails. The original goal was to burn all tussecks on the inner portion of the shoreline trails, so everything out from the cypress trees that was a problem tusseck would be taken out. However, they do have an operational meeting soon so some burning plans may change on how they approach certain areas. For example, the bluff area on the east side all the way to Reeves has hardly any growth, so burning that area really isnt necessary.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 am

Here's my concern, and it may just be that I don't fully know the extent of the FWC's plans...I understand their plans to burn off problem tussecks and areas that have been overgrown for years like 90 (and I'm in favor of that plan) but what do they plan to do about areas like the gator hole and even the main lake? With low water levels all last year and the draining of the lake this summer, TONS of vegetation grew up in these areas and died off once the lake went dry. If they don't burn off these areas and get rid of the dead vegetation, it's just going to create a bigger problem...all of that dead grass, pickerel weed and maiden cane takes a long time to rot, and all it's going to do is accumulate on the bottom and worsen the "muck" problem in the future. In the meantime, it's just going foul props and make it more difficult to navigate shallow areas of the lake.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Thomasville, GA/N. FL

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am

Dang. Sad to see it in that bad of shape
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: Update on Lake Miccosukee?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Here's my concern, and it may just be that I don't fully know the extent of the FWC's plans...I understand their plans to burn off problem tussecks and areas that have been overgrown for years like 90 (and I'm in favor of that plan) but what do they plan to do about areas like the gator hole and even the main lake? With low water levels all last year and the draining of the lake this summer, TONS of vegetation grew up in these areas and died off once the lake went dry. If they don't burn off these areas and get rid of the dead vegetation, it's just going to create a bigger problem...all of that dead grass, pickerel weed and maiden cane takes a long time to rot, and all it's going to do is accumulate on the bottom and worsen the "muck" problem in the future. In the meantime, it's just going foul props and make it more difficult to navigate shallow areas of the lake.

I cant answer that fully and its understandable. I know one of the concerns for some portions of the lake were smoke. Some of that dead and dry mud and vegetation causes a big smoke problem that they don't want to mess with. I guess because of the homeowners surrounding the lake and just the natural pollution of it. Now some of the extra vegetation that aren't floating tussecks will be burned off if it is a large enough area that would potentially be troublesome in the future when the lake comes back. Like I said their plans may change after they have their meetings on areas of burning.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Previous

Return to Florida Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests