Blind brushing

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Blind brushing

Postby brownh14 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 am

We have a permanent blind in the middle of a flooded corn field that has been a great blind for the past several years, but once the end of the season rolls around the birds wont commit to the decoys because the blind sticks out to much and we end up having to take 40-50 yard shots or sit on stools in the corn. It is brushed with dead bamboo, corn stalks, and dry grass. For the guys that have experience brushing these duck blinds that are more in the open what has worked best for you? I have heard that making it look like a brush pile with oak branches works well. Appreciate the help.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Re: Blind brushing

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 am

Does the blind profile stick out above the corn?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am

Yes and not only that but the hole is about 30 yards out all around the blind leaving the blind isolated in the middle.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Blind brushing

Postby TXWingStinger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Cut down the profile and/or relocate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXWingStinger
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm

DEFIANTLY move the blind OUT of the hole, no matter how you brush it, it will stick out like a sore thumb. Put it in the edge of the standing corn and make it level or lower than the profile of the corn. Even if that means not having a floor and just standing in the water. Just make a normal blind without a floor thats low enough to not stick out over the corn. Its just as comfortable, you just gotta stand in knee deep water. Or go the extra mile and make a water tight blind that goes under the water. If you have the equipment, using an old gas barrel for a bind works awesome. I can pm you some pics if you want.
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am

ya the reason we dont hide it in the corn is because we like having the option to hunt out of both sides of the blind depending on wind direction (it is a double sided blind). We have killed many limits out of it, its just more the late season when the birds get smart that we have trouble. I have thought about leaving a circle of corn around the blind then cutting a hole around that making a bulls eye if that makes sense. And ya pm me those pics hopefully i can get some better ideas for the future.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

I would just build a blind on each side which would make it huntable from pretty much any direction
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby RNTduckhntr12 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 am

Had a similar problem in our pit in the rice. The pit is dug in but it sits one foot about the water level(which is 2 feet). We put 2 inches of soil on our roofs and planted rye grass and rape seed to give it a weedy affect and then put some rice straw on it. Then the big kicker was when we put 8 full body mallards(sometimes geese) decoys on the roof, so it looked like a piece of dry ground to rest on, plus we could call working ducks because of the decoys that were right in our face. It helped a lot.
Whack em' and Stack em'!!
RNTduckhntr12
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

i think i might try something simular to that.....pretty awesome idea thanks man
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:54 am

Layout boats....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 pm

We're running into this a lot. Most of our property is ag fields. Corn, Beans and Cotton. It's hard to blend in a blind when there's nothing but bean stubble left. I'm thinking trying to make it look like a big clump of trees out in the middle of the field.

On the post with the pit, how often do you hunt that blind? Every weekend? Twice a weekend? I think that has to do with 90% of birds flaring. One of our ponds last year was in the middle of a 300 acre winter wheat field. We hunted layouts on the edge of the water, and if we ever hunted it back to back the birds would shy away too.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Ducks feel safe around Beaver Huts. All though the water is low, this evening I found a Beaver Dam, upstream, that is holding back a lot of water. Will be busting that dam shortly.

IMG_1835 - Copy.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1837 - Copy.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Small Block » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 am

Dave, i believe that beaver dam blind is the berries. Looks like your water situation isn't any better than mine. We need about 6" of rain. You boys in the corn need a car top carrier and make ya a cheap layout. A little camo and you can be in the middle of the ducks. Never let a cheap car top carrier get away from ya. When ya see one you'll see what i'm talkin about. I think i know where one is and if it's still there i'll get it for $25 and show ya the conversion. You can thank me later.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Blind brushing

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Dang Dave... That hole looks awesome!! And Small Block... You have me intrigued!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting