Automatic jerk cord

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Automatic jerk cord

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 am

Thinking about making some sort of automatic jerk cord, i think we all know how bad being the cork man sucks. Has anybody done anything like this? Im thinking about getting a strong fan and taking the motor with the control switch out. Then instead of the fan blade, put a small piece of pvc pipe on it maybe 2 ft long. Then use a regular jerk string and tie it to the end of the pipe so it will spin around and pull the jerk string. Ill mount the motor and control switch on a small wooden box mounted on a stake. What you guys think?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Automatic jerk cord

Postby duaney2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Wow, with all that effort seems like it would be easier to just pull the cord like everyone else does. What are you going to use for an electrical source?
duaney2
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 pm

the description makes it sound much more extensive than it will really be. As for the battery, just an extra one from my mojos. I think i can make it in less than an hour. Im going to jump on it soon and ill post an update and some pictures
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby chillout » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm

pics?
chillout
hunter

Postby bulletman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:17 am

1) If ya use mojo battery you have to use a 6volt electric motor?
2) your idea will work but not easily, a fan motor will spin much faster than what you want for back-and-forth motion of swimming ducks, you would have to slow it down and that's not going to be easy to do.

I am going to make one but it will be 12 volt and run off my boat battery and it will be made out of a windshield wiper motor and use the intermittent switch to control speed.
bulletman
hunter

Postby Cold Feet » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Windshield wiper motor and a headlight rheostat off a 70's Ford truck and a 12v lawn tractor battery. It worked for me!
In war, the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it.
General George S. Patton
Cold Feet
hunter

Automatic jerk cord

Postby david95 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 am

Cold Feet wrote:Windshield wiper motor and a headlight rheostat off a 70's Ford truck and a 12v lawn tractor battery. It worked for me!

You have any pictures if that?
david95
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting