when is the best time for diver hunting in lake erie ?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

when is the best time for diver hunting in lake erie ?

Postby great hunter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi guys,

i am planing to hunt this year in lake Erie for diver ducks, but because I live about 4 hours far away from Lake Erie so i want to know what is the good time to hunt up there? is still slow?
great hunter
hunter

Re: when is the best time for diver hunting in lake erie ?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Kind of a big lake! What state/country you planning to hunt from? Simple answer is the opener of the second split.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby great hunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 pm

i am from ohio but i live in southern of ohio which about 4 hours to lake erie. hunt around here is so poor so i am thinking to go different places this year if i could. But i do not want to drive long driving before i know its busy or slow.
great hunter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 pm

You obviously need to scout but Michigan and Superior seem to be good for divers about middle of October til end of season.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 pm

That's open water hunting of course. Hunting from shore is an entirely different story from my understanding.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:46 pm

im from erie pa, and i dont even start thinking about divers until mid november.december is is always hotter.keep your eye on canadian weather.when you see big pushes of cold air blast from the north,try to run up when the weather subsides, or put your big boy boots on , and shoot your *** off in 4 footers. i have presque isle bay, where in ohio you might have to try to hunt some islands out there or something.its dangerous, and you have to pay attention to the lake, it can get sooooooooooo ugly sooooooooooooo fast.a switch in the wind can take you from 2-3 footers to 6-10 footers in less than 5 minutes. ive seen guys loose boats, layout boats,gear,decoys, and almost thier lives.but...usually the last 2 weeks of the season is the hottest for ducks.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting