New to hunting, have a few questions

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Postby eshore5.9l » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:37 pm

:help: :help: :help: Hey guys sorry for the newbie post but need some info so I dont piss off locals and dnr! We bought a house about 15 mins north of Cambridge, Md right on the water of a little cove with lots of ducks and geese! I know that you must be 150 yards from homes or have written permission of the owners of the other homes which should be no problem to get.... my question is how far off the shore do you need to be to set up a boat blind and what kind of permits or license do I need to hunt on the water?

Also directly in front of our shore line is a little peninsula with a house on it the land is probably 50 yards away and his garage is about 150 yards away, if I turn and look to the right it is open water for a while. Though that land is not technically not part of my shore line can I not hunt there or do I need a permit for that too or just permission from the owner?

Sorry seems like a lot to ask, ive tried reading up on the maryland DNRs website and I think it made it a little worse! I really need to go talk to the one guy down there, but seems like every time im down there he isnt! :beer: :beer:
New to hunting, just want to be able to hunt, kill and eat my own food!
eshore5.9l
Newb

Postby gr8white » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm

If I were to try and explain it myself I would probably make you even more confused, but I know everything you have asked is on the md DNR page that deals with shoreline and blind-site licensing.
Good luck with your neighbors. Without their help it sounds like you might be stuck to just watching the birds unless you have the distance requirements. Once again...good luck.
gr8white
hunter

Re: New to hunting, have a few questions

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:01 am

You better make sure no one already has the blind license to hunt that area.
http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/gis/blindsites/mapper/index.html

If they do, you get to watch. If not, you can try and apply for a blind license there.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting