Hunting the same spot

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting the same spot

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:23 pm

How often do you hunt the same spot? I like to skip a day after a hunt but no more than twice a week such as a Saturday and Wednesday.

Thoughts and why?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: Hunting the same spot

Postby possumfoot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm

i hunt the same place 58 days straight unless i decide to hunt somewhere else.. :biggrin:

i would hunt my place 60 days straight, but we have a weekend then a split before the rest of season kicks off..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Same blind virtually, if not, every open season morning.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I hunt several spots thoughout the season and rarely hunt the same spot more than 4 or 5 times. This is mainly because it is public land with a lot of pressure so I'm always tring to be where the birds are without being swarmed by hunters.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TROB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Same blind virtually, if not, every open season morning.

are you serious? That doesn't get old?

We hunt about 15-20 different areas (multiple spots in each) and rotate based on our scouting. we scout about 1 day for every hunt day.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 pm

I hunt the same place about every weekend of the season. Ducks always come in.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Same place at a refuge on friday and saturday. If it is a small local spot then once a weel at the most
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:45 pm

You really cant "overhunt" an area if you think about it. Theres always new cold fronts pushing new birds down.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Duck Collector wrote:You really cant "overhunt" an area if you think about it. Theres always new cold fronts pushing new birds down.

I'd say if it's a small roost or a river then it can be over hunted. Kids always jump the same pond and ducks stop landing.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Hunting the same spot

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:You really cant "overhunt" an area if you think about it. Theres always new cold fronts pushing new birds down.

I'd say if it's a small roost or a river then it can be over hunted. Kids always jump the same pond and ducks stop landing.

Mabey so, i mainly hunt the marsh on the edge of the bays.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Unless the weather is stable and no new birds are showing up. One of my hunting buddies is pretty new to waterfowling and we've been doing some hunting this year on a slough on his uncles land. Two weekends ago we shot 2 gadwall and 4 mallards off it, then unbeknownst to me he and another friend of his jump shot it 4 days in a row last week. (killed one mallard out of groups sitting there on two different days, chased some out without shooting another day, and no birds there on another day) So then we go out to hunt it this past weekend and surprise surprise we didn't see a damn thing all day... :mad:
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 am

TROB wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Same blind virtually, if not, every open season morning.

are you serious? That doesn't get old?

We hunt about 15-20 different areas (multiple spots in each) and rotate based on our scouting. we scout about 1 day for every hunt day.

Quite serious, and no, it hasn't gotten old after what's become a lot of years. I guide in a state with regs against that on most public lands and a very strong lease structure on the private stuff. So we lease the best private land we can afford and most of our camp's guides hunt spots strong enough to stand up well to daily gunning. My morning duck blind on the freshwater edge of the coastal marsh is one of them. Hunting geese in the afternoon requires me to move around our ag land leases, and the changes of scenery often come at the cost of not being my being current of flight trends or able to set up as well as I'd like. And I sometimes wish that were a one-spot deal, too.

In any event, I've the stroke to choose pleasant locations for my own, and the new crews of hunters and day to day challenges of making it work for them keep it from getting old. Then, again, if I only had one arse ugly spot to hunt and no one to hunt with but the dog, I'd still be out there every morning enjoying it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ole Cypress » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:50 pm

If our spot has water. We hunt it.....all day er'y day.
Ole Cypress
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting