North wind

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

North wind

Postby sarjrr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 am

This time of year we all cant wait for a N or NW wind to blow new birds into the state, but at what point in the year does a N wind hurt the hunting here? There has to be some point in the migration that birds hanging around Kansas get pushed out by a N wind and there simply wont be many birds north of here that will ride the wind into our state. Just curious what everyone thinks.
sarjrr
hunter

Re: North wind

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am

I dream of mornings when I can hunt a steady 10 to 15mph northwind on a foggy gray day.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 am

goodkarmarising wrote:I dream of mornings when I can hunt a steady 10 to 15mph northwind on a foggy gray day.

I dream of a day when I can hunt in Kansas without overcrowding, skybusting, and bad calling contributing to the overall education and nocturnal activities of waterfowl. Oops, too late, that dream is lost.... :no:

Talked to 3 seperate conservation officers this weekend. Each one of them told me a different story about the same thing. All of them mentioned how they had never seen so many duck hunters as this season. One guy said in his 17 years, he'd never seen this many hunters on the weekdays, and that the weekends were about the same as usual.......severely overcrowded. He said one campground had 13 non-resident trucks with boat trailers including Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas, Loisianna, Virginia, and N. Carolina. He said the birds on the area had been hunted so hard they were leaving the area at sunrise and coming back in to roost after sunset.

Boy I miss the days when duck hunting wasn't cool.... :fingerhead:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 am

sarjrr wrote:at what point in the year does a N wind hurt the hunting here?

About three weeks after the marshes are frozen solid. :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 am

I dream of a day when I can hunt in Kansas without overcrowding, skybusting, and bad calling contributing to the overall education and nocturnal activities of waterfowl. Oops, too late, that dream is lost....

The sky is falling, chicken little, gloom and doom all over. Guess we all should pack it in.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:04 am

goodkarmarising wrote:
I dream of a day when I can hunt in Kansas without overcrowding, skybusting, and bad calling contributing to the overall education and nocturnal activities of waterfowl. Oops, too late, that dream is lost....

The sky is falling, chicken little, gloom and doom all over. Guess we all should pack it in.

I wish you would. Just be one less guy out there! :grooving:

JUST KIDDING GKR. :hi: .......I hope you have a great season and be safe out there.
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I do agree that the doom and gloom has taken most of the fun out of this forum. It used to be that you could talk about the good and bad hunts and brag a little when you did happen to get on the ducks. Now its all about how terrible everything is. And the fact is that I'm having one of the better seasons this year.
radfordc
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:28 am

radfordc wrote:I do agree that the doom and gloom has taken most of the fun out of this forum. It used to be that you could talk about the good and bad hunts and brag a little when you did happen to get on the ducks. Now its all about how terrible everything is. And the fact is that I'm having one of the better seasons this year.

Hey bud, there is no reason you can't brag about your hunts, post pics and GPS coordinates, and toot your own horn until your heart's content.

But, there are many of us who have concerns about the way things are going in KS. We have a right to share those concerns with others who may or may not be aware of the issues at hand. The fact of the matter is that more and more KS hunters are finding it difficult to find quality opportunities on public lands. Those of you who are lucky enough to hunt during the week or have access to private land may not be feeling the squeeze, but the rest of the blue collar duck hunters definately are. Read the posts by multiple members. Sharing thoughts, ideas, and concerns are all attributes of a public forum. If you disagree, feel free to post your opinions. The rest of us will feel free to post ours.

Regards,

TBS
TBS
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 am

radfordc wrote:I do agree that the doom and gloom has taken most of the fun out of this forum. It used to be that you could talk about the good and bad hunts and brag a little when you did happen to get on the ducks. Now its all about how terrible everything is. And the fact is that I'm having one of the better seasons this year.

:ditto: :fingerhead:
I used to check this forum a couple times a day during season, and now I find it hard to even want to check it. I'm not an internet scouter, never have been and never will be! My season is crap do to drought, warm weather, and A-holes who come to my neck of the woods and break all sorts of laws! I'm sure it will get better. It will get cold, the birds will show up, and the fair weather hunters will stay home. But it would be nice to come on hear, read about a good hunt and not see someone jump up and down like some just stole their bottle from them,( thats the formula kind not whiskey).
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am

x3...I went to one of the public marshes here in Kansas that is holding water and during the week, and there is one other guy on the one marsh, the other marsh I went to I had to myself. Oh geez, its so overcroweded. :lol3:
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Holy hell! The level of complaining on this board the last two season has been ridiculous. I have never hunted a single day on private land in the 7 years I have been hunting here. We're dealing with mother nature, it's not suppose to be easy. Ya the KDWP and Government don't do any favors, but when the going gets tough, the tough get going. People who scout, put miles on the truck, and don't give up WILL kill ducks this year.

I have gone out three times this year and shot 2 ducks, but you can bet that I will be somewhere over some decoys this Sunday and Monday with the north wind trying to blow them up. Stay home guys, it only opens up more spots for me and my guys.

I apologize in advance for the rant. I'm trying to study and this was the only way for me to procrastinate. The only thing I can think about is killing ducks right now. Not crunching numbers.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting