What to do with salty mallard?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

What to do with salty mallard?

Postby NapalmCheese » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am

Got a couple of local mallards yesterday and decided I'd breast one to check the fat color and pluck and roast the other one if they weren't briny.

Peeling back the skin it had a nice orange hue to it and upon examining the stomach I found 4 or 5 little mussels and a bunch of grain/seed/mush.

I had already planned on putting the non-breast bits into sausage, but I guess the question now is should I grind up the breasts too, or cook as usual (butter, salt, pepper? Maybe save them and make a chili or something? I've stripped all the fat I can off of everything, though I left the smaller bits of silverskin intact on the grind stuff. I've eaten divers before, and salt marsh puddlers, but never anything that had been eating so many mussels.

Thanks all!
Last edited by NapalmCheese on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Re: What to do with salty mallard?

Postby fordy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 pm

MUSSELS
fordy
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm

fordy wrote:MUSSELS

Sorry, yes, it was late, I was up early, etc.

Aquatic bivalves, not duck breasts (or or deer legs, or anything else that muscles make up).
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

You don't clean ducks...you do duck autopsies. :biggrin:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby MacAttack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

I would just do what I normally do, soak in salt water over night, vacuum seal the next day. When I cook it I would cook it in something that hides the salty or fishy taste of that duck. Like duck poppers.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to treat it as if it were a diver and make tacos tonight.
Sweet.

Now I just need to figure out if I want to make tortillas or buy them.
Mmmmm, duck breasts seared rare and cut thin served on a warm corn tortilla with some chopped up serrano, cilantro, and maybe a tiny squeeze of lime.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Don't know where you are at, but up here is Washington at costco, they have pre made tortillas, however they are not cooked. I believe they are in the refridgerated section next to the eggs. They are far better than any Mission tortilla out there!
MacAttack
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am

MacAttack wrote:Don't know where you are at, but up here is Washington at costco, they have pre made tortillas, however they are not cooked. I believe they are in the refridgerated section next to the eggs. They are far better than any Mission tortilla out there!

Living in the SF Bay Area finding good tortillas isn't too hard. I will, however, keep the costco pre-mades in mind.

BTW, salty mallard #1 tasted just fine grilled rare with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a touch of ancho powder.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 am

Well, when I run across a salty beaver I usually just soak it in water and change water until salty/fishy taste is gone! Should work for those mallards. :biggrin: :grooving:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby Scott. » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 pm

1Luckytiger wrote:Well, when I run across a salty beaver I usually just soak it in water and change water until salty/fishy taste is gone! Should work for those mallards. :biggrin: :grooving:

haha our definition of a salty beaver is different :yes:
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking