shells not to use

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

shells not to use

Postby ducks385 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

:no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Re: shells not to use

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I used to use the old winchester drylok shells but their ammo has gotten cheaper. Only problem is one of my guns will only shoot winchesters because they have a larger rim on them than other shells, in my experience.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 pm

ducks385 wrote::no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:

Sounds like a gun issue to me. I had the same problem when I had a cracked firing pin. It hit the primer, but half the time it wouldnt fire. Finally took it to a gunsmith and he had it fixed in 20 minutes. If I was you I'd take your gun(s) in to get looked at.

I will agree with you though, xpert are crap.
BBK
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I agree...sounds like something wrong with the guns or they are very old shells...Winchester makes good ammo...except for that Blind Side junk :hammer:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm

obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm

jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back

Shot Blind Side last year...did not impress me at all...lost too many birds...
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

BBK wrote:
ducks385 wrote::no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:

Sounds like a gun issue to me. I had the same problem when I had a cracked firing pin. It hit the primer, but half the time it wouldnt fire. Finally took it to a gunsmith and he had it fixed in 20 minutes. If I was you I'd take your gun(s) in to get looked at.

I will agree with you though, xpert are crap.

we went through and checked the guns it will not shoot with any gun we try.
ducks385
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back

Blind side is junk. It has poor penetration and leads to more cripples. It falls into gimmic loads, a way for an ammo company to market "the latest and greatest" ammunition and charge more for it. Only gimmic turned real deal is Black Cloud.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 am

I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.

If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Blind side is junk. It has poor penetration and leads to more cripples. It falls into gimmic loads, a way for an ammo company to market "the latest and greatest" ammunition and charge more for it. Only gimmic turned real deal is Black Cloud.

Thats odd...i shot blind sides all morning and it droped ducks like crazy. I shot a Blue Bill at about 60 yards and he folded up dead. Only had 1 cripple and he sailed out about 300 yds and by the time i got to him he was belly up.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:35 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.

I found your problem its the gun not the shells. Get a benelli and drop the mossberg. Then no more problems.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

shells not to use

Postby TXWingStinger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Ring one of those experts open and take a look at the bb's. I shot them once and I never will again. I dropped a cripple and shot it again on the water, only I notice bb's hitting the water 30 yards off to the sides. So I cut one open when I get home and the bb's looked like melted slag poured in there. Not round at all. They're flat and lopsided. They may not be that way anymore as this was about 6 years ago but that'll be the last box for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXWingStinger
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 pm

TXWingStinger wrote: They may not be that way anymore as this was about 6 years ago but that'll be the last box for me.

They are. Worse than ever.
BBK
hunter

Postby OneShot2146 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I found your problem its the gun not the shells. Get a benelli and drop the mossberg. Then no more problems.

The brass was catching in my remington 887 to.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

my dad used a benelli and it does not work
ducks385
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:50 pm

OneShot2146 wrote:To all, please send me you’re (Crap Shells) I promise to send you pictures of ducks killed with them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once you learn YOUR grammar.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby OneShot2146 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby OneShot2146 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

how bout you just shut up and stop bein a lil girl about it...well dern looks like i aint got any repect either
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby OneShot2146 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneShot2146
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

OneShot2146 wrote:I’m sure your parents are very proud, POINT PROVEN.

stop fight or get of this :mad: :fingerpt: :no:
ducks385
hunter

Postby NVCanvasback » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm

jack lowe wrote:how bout you just shut up and stop bein a lil girl about it...well dern looks like i aint got any repect either

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NVCanvasback
hunter

Next

Return to Youth