shells not to use

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Re: shells not to use

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

LOL he edited posts when he saw the error.......
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 pm

lol I noticed that too.
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby dj youth duckhunter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm

all i shoot is the xperts never had a single problem!
Dustin~

dj youth duckhunter
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:23 pm

I always have problems with Winchester brand ammo
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:21 am

ebitzan wrote:I always have problems with Winchester brand ammo

.......... like what? that statement doesnt hold much worth if you cant say what types of problems you've had/ are having with the ammo.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

mayhem96 wrote:I agree...sounds like something wrong with the guns or they are very old shells...Winchester makes good ammo...except for that Blind Side junk :hammer:

I watched guy completley rake a mallard drake at 90 yards and killed it stone dead it depends on your gun and the way it patterns.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

I hesitate to ask but...how old are these shells and how many years you been carrying them in your bag?
Did they ever get wet by any chance?

I agree that the quality of shot in Winchester Expert shells is comparable to slag but at the same time I know Experts kill a lot of ducks and geese. I myself use Winchester Expert shells with pretty good success. Shot a snow goose from "way too far" with BB's out of a Beretta 390 and a Briley's EXR choke tube. It landed stone-dead almost right in the pit.

NOTE the Winchester Expert empty shell laying at the lower left. :yes:

pics 010.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jack lowe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back

Shot Blind Side last year...did not impress me at all...lost too many birds...

sounds like a personal problem lol
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm

aunt betty wrote:I hesitate to ask but...how old are these shells and how many years you been carrying them in your bag?
Did they ever get wet by any chance?

I agree that the quality of shot in Winchester Expert shells is comparable to slag but at the same time I know Experts kill a lot of ducks and geese. I myself use Winchester Expert shells with pretty good success. Shot a snow goose from "way too far" with BB's out of a Beretta 390 and a Briley's EXR choke tube. It landed stone-dead almost right in the pit.

NOTE the Winchester Expert empty shell laying at the lower left. :yes:

pics 010.jpg

the shells were just bought about 2 days before i had problems
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby duuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 am

ARduckboy24 wrote:I watched guy completley rake a mallard drake at 90 yards and killed it stone dead it depends on your gun and the way it patterns.
I think 90 yards might be stretching the truth a little... and basically if ya cant shoot you arnt gonna kill ducks even if you got the 30 dollar blindside crap or the 10 dollar xperts
jehler wrote:Comparing flambeau to ghg is like comparing horseshit to cowshit
duuck
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm

duuck wrote:
ARduckboy24 wrote:I watched guy completley rake a mallard drake at 90 yards and killed it stone dead it depends on your gun and the way it patterns.
I think 90 yards might be stretching the truth a little... and basically if ya cant shoot you arnt gonna kill ducks even if you got the 30 dollar blindside crap or the 10 dollar xperts

Nope it we stepped it off it may have been a one time thing but I believe it isn't.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 pm

ARduckboy24 wrote:
duuck wrote:

Nope it we stepped it off it may have been a one time thing but I believe it isn't.

I rolled a spoonie the other day at 80 yards...you would be suprised how far steel can shoot. I have a few "special" shells that with a full choke in the gun, i can shoot a pattern sbout 3ft' in diameter at 120-130 yards and easily kill a duck at 100 yards.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

SPEEEEEEEEEEEERT. :no:
greasegetter
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 am

While I won't put down any particular shell. I will say Hevi Metal is a GREAT load and highly suggest it. If the felt recoil is too much try looking into some Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, hard hitting on the birds... but not you.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Ahaha. Funny. If y'all could see all the ducks and geese I have killed with Winchester El Cheepo Expert POS ammo.
I once cut open some Experts and started a thread myself. Why you dont buy Expert.... go look.

I.
Was.
Wrong.

Yep.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 am

i agree it sounds like a gun problem although one time my gun didnt shoot a blackcloud load and it shot after so it is possible that they were wet or had a bad primer...try some different shells....maybe kent fasteel
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 am

Wow been a while since I last posted on this thread!

Of course xperts will work, in the old days guys used to load rocks and chunks of metal in their scatter guns to shoot fowl. But there is no hiding the fact that xperts are the lowest of all the steel shot when it comes to quality of components. If you choke them tight and shoot up close they very well might work just as well as any other load, but I still will not ever suggest them to anyone.

Two first hand experiences with xperts. Myself, shooting 3" 1 1/4 #1 and #2 I was crippling nearly every bird I shot at in 2010. Couldnt figure it out, patterned my gun several times, switched chokes.. even switched GUNS! Finally I borrowed a box of federal from my father and started killing the birds instead of crippling. Then I cut open an xpert and realized what I was shooting, havent loaded one in my gun since.

Second example was a good friend of mine, in 2011 we were hunting several different spots. We hunted a pothole on public land and got into some gadwalls, I was shooting fasteel 1 1/4 #3's and he was shooting xpert 1 1/8 #2's. Again, I killed them and he crippled every bird he shot at. We hunted there twice and then hunted the river for big mallards once, he crippled bird after bird. Finally when we were hunting the river I handed him a handful of 1 1/4 #3 fasteel and told him to give them a try. First bird that came by was a drake mallard that had been flared from a group down river, he skirted the edge of the decoys and my buddy shot him stone dead at 40-45 yards. He went on to shoot 3 more mallards absolutely stone dead with one shot with those fasteels. He raved about how great they were and I congratulated him on the good shooting. The next day he showed up with more xperts and started crippling again.

We patterned his gun several times, threw great patterns, so it was not the gun. Its the problem that the shells are full of shot #7-#5 that is just not lethal for what we were shooting, so he had a 1 1/8 load that was really about a 3/4oz load of #2's.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby labtrainerJr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:43 pm

DONT USE KENTS they are horrible there is a reason they are the cheapest steel shot out there the brass cap on them are extremely thin and expand once you fire and will jam your gun so fast its not even funny I repeat DONT USE KEENTSS :mad: :mad: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
"You got'em Pilgrim....You Nailed 'em Clean", Grizz from Jeremiah Johnson.
labtrainerJr
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:48 pm

labtrainerJr wrote:DONT USE KENTS they are horrible there is a reason they are the cheapest steel shot out there the brass cap on them are extremely thin and expand once you fire and will jam your gun so fast its not even funny I repeat DONT USE KEENTSS :mad: :mad: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:

Cheap? they arent even CLOSE to being the cheapest out there.

If the brass (steel) is expanding and jamming your gun you have a tolerance issue in your chamber. Get it checked by a gunsmith.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Funny. Experts cycle through my berreta all day long and drop ducks and geese all day. i have opened up numerous BB and #1 shells and never seen this slag in the new shells.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

labtrainerJr wrote:DONT USE KENTS they are horrible there is a reason they are the cheapest steel shot out there the brass cap on them are extremely thin and expand once you fire and will jam your gun so fast its not even funny I repeat DONT USE KEENTSS :mad: :mad: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:

sounds like a gun problem to me, I've never had a problem with them in my Maxus or out of my 870.

nor are they cheap. there is Winchester, federal, remington, and Fiocchi loads that are cheaper.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Previous

Return to Youth