4wd question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

4wd question

Postby djthunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 pm

i have 05 f150. just needed the 4wd for the first time today and when i hit the brakes it would grind and you can feel it grinding in the pedal. it only does it in 4wd. any ideas?
djthunter
Newb

Re: 4wd question

Postby fishdart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 pm

That is your Ford's ABS brake system making itself known.
fishdart
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Sounds like fish is right, were you in mud or slippery stuff?
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

Doesn't sound like an ABS issue to me. Unless the system isn't functioning right, ABS should not grind, pulse yes...but not grind. Does it do it only when you're moving or does it grind in gear when you're pressing the brake down not moving?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:26 pm

ajmorell wrote:Doesn't sound like an ABS issue to me. Unless the system isn't functioning right, ABS should not grind, pulse yes...but not grind. Does it do it only when you're moving or does it grind in gear when you're pressing the brake down not moving?

I'd bet its pulsing but he just explained the sound/ feel as more of a grind like feel. I know thats how my abs is.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby RedneckExpress » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 pm

sounds like an internal locking hub issue to me,if it has auto locking hubs and has never bin used it builds up gunk and dirt and may need to be pulled apart and cleaned up, what happens is the dirt stops and old greese clogs the splines in the hub and will not let them be fully engaged so when you hit the brakes the axels continues to spin at a higher speed as the hub slows down,

another possability is that the motor that engages the transfer case may have issues and isnt engaging the system fully
RedneckExpress
Newb

Postby Treydu22 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:43 pm

If you are in mud or any slippery surface the ABS will so that. They only other problems could be you just have mud on the rotors or ur brakes are worn out.
Treydu22
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

RedneckExpress wrote:sounds like an internal locking hub issue to me,if it has auto locking hubs and has never bin used it builds up gunk and dirt and may need to be pulled apart and cleaned up, what happens is the dirt stops and old greese clogs the splines in the hub and will not let them be fully engaged so when you hit the brakes the axels continues to spin at a higher speed as the hub slows down,

another possability is that the motor that engages the transfer case may have issues and isnt engaging the system fully

an '05 f150 is IFS so locking hubs wouldnt be an issue, and the actuator that engages the transfercase would cause a service 4wd light and not allow the transfercase to go into 4wd at all in most cases if the actuator isnt properly functioning, and a partial engagement of the transfercase would cause a grinding when accelerating, not hitting the brakes.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby HuntnTech » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
RedneckExpress wrote:sounds like an internal locking hub issue to me,if it has auto locking hubs and has never bin used it builds up gunk and dirt and may need to be pulled apart and cleaned up, what happens is the dirt stops and old greese clogs the splines in the hub and will not let them be fully engaged so when you hit the brakes the axels continues to spin at a higher speed as the hub slows down,

an '05 f150 is IFS so locking hubs wouldnt be an issue, and the actuator that engages the transfercase would cause a service 4wd light and not allow the transfercase to go into 4wd at all in most cases if the actuator isnt properly functioning, and a partial engagement of the transfercase would cause a grinding when accelerating, not hitting the brakes.

They have a hub actuator on each front wheel. The vacuum ring around them will dry out and crack. This will cause it to not lock into 4wd all the way. This could also cause it to it to try and lock in 4wd on its own. When I left work one day mine started grinding real bad. I had to put in in 4wd so it would engage all the way and drive 5-10mph home from work. It was caused by the hub acuator. These also have a vacuum actuator on the firewall than can cause the same issue.
HuntnTech
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 am

HuntnTech wrote:
They have a hub actuator on each front wheel. The vacuum ring around them will dry out and crack. This will cause it to not lock into 4wd all the way. This could also cause it to it to try and lock in 4wd on its own. When I left work one day mine started grinding real bad. I had to put in in 4wd so it would engage all the way and drive 5-10mph home from work. It was caused by the hub acuator. These also have a vacuum actuator on the firewall than can cause the same issue.

didnt realize ford had a locking hub system with IFS.

looks like one more thing to fail :no:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
HuntnTech wrote:

didnt realize ford had a locking hub system with IFS.

looks like one more thing to fail :no:

The super duties don't - you gotta lock 'em by hand. If you try to engage 4X4 with the front hubs unlocked the shift will warn you by grinding and not engaging (shifter won't go back).

One less thing to go bad.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 pm

macdaddy wrote:The super duties don't - you gotta lock 'em by hand. If you try to engage 4X4 with the front hubs unlocked the shift will warn you by grinding and not engaging (shifter won't go back).

How does the transfer case know the manual hubs are not locked...especially if the transfer case is not engaged???? :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 pm

mudpack wrote:
macdaddy wrote:The super duties don't - you gotta lock 'em by hand. If you try to engage 4X4 with the front hubs unlocked the shift will warn you by grinding and not engaging (shifter won't go back).

How does the transfer case know the manual hubs are not locked...especially if the transfer case is not engaged???? :huh:

It cannot engage. Someone had unlocked my hubs one day back in November (altogether a lousy day); I did not know it. I tried to engage 4hi - instead the transfer case shifter barely moved & I heard a brief grinding sound. No engaging. I got out & checked the hubs; sure enough, they were unlocked. When I locked them & got back in the shifter engaged the transfer case & I got 4 hi.

Tried the 4 low later on a rougher road, making sure all was ok. All indeed was ok.

What it boiled down to was it fought me to engage when the front hubs were unlocked. Either a feature, or a merciful act of God.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:58 am

Mac, do me a favor and go out right now and unlock your front hubs. Then, using the Ford procedure, try to engage 4HI. I'll bet you can. (I think your previous experience was just a coincidence). If you can't, let me know....I've been wrong before. :biggrin:

I know I can engage 4wheel drive with my manual hubs unlocked...and I could certainly engage 4wheel drive with the auto-locking hubs it had before unlocked (they were automatically DISengaged when you went back into 2wheel drive, and wouldn't re-engage until after you were in 4wheel and back on the power). (Chevy, though, not Ford)

Let me know, okay?
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 am

So, was I right, mac?
mudpack
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:06 pm

mudpack wrote:So, was I right, mac?

Yes, mudpack, you are correct. :bow:

God bless you, man. Good information & advice are rare these days. And - as Red Green would say, "We're all in this together!" :thumbsup: Good off roadin' to ya!!!
macdaddy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 pm

macdaddy wrote: "We're all in this together!" :thumbsup: Good off roadin' to ya!!!

And to you, my friend.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum