Charlie Capps Question

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Charlie Capps Question

Postby Ducknuts! » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Charlie Capps near Rosedale is on our radar for my friends and me. Opening day and on the first of December are our draw dates. Number one and five our locations. This is my question. Does the lake get pumped up with water before the opener or are we doomed to hunt the gumbo. The reason that I ask is I will and my friends will be driving from four hours away. We are going to hunt it no matter the situation. I have looked on the net and not much info on the lake itself other than once upon a time it was a nice place to fish and that they couldn’t control the water on the place from flooding. I’ve called the number to the game warden several times and gotten no answer. I’ve also read that DU helped out with the project there some. Can anyone help and give me some info on the depth of the lake and if it is a controlled structure, plus what is it made up of like buck brush or willows, or if we will have to let God and hopefully fate bring more rain in our future before the opener. Thanks in advance for your help…….. Ducknuts! Aka Swamp Creeper! Aka BBBD! Good luck to all the die hards like me and my friends. Have a safe open weekend.
I found it. I found the X!
Ducknuts!
hunter

Charlie Capps Question

Postby Luladucks1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I haven't been there in 10 years but from what I remember it looks like a fishing lake. Didn't strike me as a duck hole at all. I could be wrong but you may want to save your gas money. Let us know how it turns out if u go!
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Re: Charlie Capps Question

Postby JaMak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:42 pm

The very north section on the map that is closed to hunting is deep water for fishing. The rest of the lake has been split into shallow moist soil units. Water depth will be 18-24" don't know if its pumped or dependent on rain. If its the later, good luck its been pretty dry. Lotta coffee weed and smartweed. Could be managed much better in my opinion. The area is hot or cold, no in between. Good luck, and keep your expectations in check.
JaMak
hunter

Re: Charlie Capps Question

Postby Ducknuts! » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm

JaMak, thanks for the word. Your info is great. At least with your info we can make a better guess. Coffee in my mug setting in a better hole in Mahannah I think migh be the better option. We are going to make the cannon ball run over to Rosedale after our hunt on the opener. Hope you have good opener in your neck of the woods. Thanks again for the info.
I found it. I found the X!
Ducknuts!
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting