goose barrel length

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

goose barrel length

Postby crowhopper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I have a Beretta Xtrema 2 , to shoot 3.5 " shells, but it has a 26 in barrel. Would a longer barrel be better for geese?
crowhopper
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm


Re: goose barrel length

Postby Gabe1Davis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 am

if you decoy em in and take smart shots then you will be fine.
professional redneck.
User avatar
Gabe1Davis
hunter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:04 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:30 am

No. You will get no more velocity or really any more swing advantage with a longer barrel. I hunt with a 24" SBE II and absolutely destroy geese with it.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby crowhopper » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks, guys..that's what I needed to know. I'm from the old myth that longer barrel means longer range (killing power)..
but I'll shoot the 26", with 3 1/2 in shells in morning...opening day
crowhopper
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: goose barrel length

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I shoot a 30" Beretta 391 and a 28" Browning Maxus - they kill the same.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:09 am
Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Re: goose barrel length

Postby tripleb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 am

crowhopper wrote:Thanks, guys..that's what I needed to know. I'm from the old myth that longer barrel means longer range (killing power)..
but I'll shoot the 26", with 3 1/2 in shells in morning...opening day


You'll get a slightly higher muzzle velocity with the longer barrel using steel shot loads, which use a very slow burn rate powder. There's a myth often repeated on these forums concerning hunting loads that powder burns completely in a relatively short barrel. That may be true with respect to fast burn rate powders used in target loads, but is not true with respect to slow burn rate powders used in steel shot loads. I have two BPS12's, 3.5" chambers. One has a 24" barrel and the other a 28" barrel. The longer barrel shoots very slightly faster, as evidenced by my chronographing both and the same loads. But, more important to me, the longer barrel patterned better with conventional chokes. The short barrel was mediocre at best with conventional chokes, seldom delivering patterns better than 70% at 40 yards with fast steel loads. The longer barreled gun would pattern the same loads in the low to mid 80% range using a Briley light full choke. However, putting a .675" Terror choke in the short barreled gun made it perform very closely to the longer barreled gun in terms of pattern percentages.

I've normally found my longer barreled guns patterned better at long ranges than did my short barreled guns when using fast steel loads.

The velocity loss is only about 7 to 10 fps. per inch of barrel shorter than 30" at the muzzle. And, quite a bit less than that at 40 yards, because the pellets slow down so fast .... the faster pellets having a greater rate of deceleration than the slower ones. So, the questions you have to ask yourself is: (1) Does my present barrel pattern my loads acceptably well at the longest distance I will shoot? (2) Does using a longer barrel allow me to hit more birds, or break more clay targets? (3) If the answer to 2 and 3 is yes, then does a slight improvement justify the cost of a new barrel?

I like a long barrel for my 12 ga guns, but I like heavy guns. However, I like a 26" barrel for my 10ga. I had a 30" barreled BPS10 and it swung like a 4"X4". It was fine pass shooting geese, but too slow swinging out of a blind, while sitting on my butt. The 26" barreled BPS10 is only a little lighter than the 30" barreled BPS10 I had (8 oz?) , but it swings a lot faster.

Many times, the shorter barreled guns handle better in confined spaces and that ability can trump the slight advantages the longer guns have with velocity and helping track the targets and maintain the swing. That's particularly true if you're don't have strong upper body strength and prefer a light weight shotgun.

Here's a pic of a RSI wad fired from a 28" barreled 12ga gun, using a 3.5" shell. Does the skirt being folded forward suggest that the powder has burned completely and is no longer expanding to propel the shot charge? The answer is that it suggests that the powder is continuing to exert forward pressure on the shot charge at the 28" point.

Image

Here's a pic of a 10ga. RSI wad shot through a 30" barrel, which had been ported. The expanding gas at the ports forced the plastic in the wad skirt into the ports and the ports acted something like a "cheese grater" in shredding the skirt.

Image
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:31 am

Tripleb, aren't the powder blends for steel loads a FASTER burning powder, due to the generally much LIGHTER shot weights thatn comparable lead loads??? To get the kinds of velocities you need from steel shot loads, you need the powder to burn completely and the wad gas seal just isn't enough to cause a slower burning powder to be used up, especially under the standard 1 1/4 ounce load of steel shot and a slow burning powder just won't do that. It is also widely known that the vasy majority of the powder charge is burned up inside of the first 20 inches of a shotgun barrel and the velovity gained over say a 22" bbl with a 28" bbl is minimal.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby tripleb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Tripleb, aren't the powder blends for steel loads a FASTER burning powder, due to the generally much LIGHTER shot weights thatn comparable lead loads??? . To get the kinds of velocities you need from steel shot loads, you need the powder to burn completely and the wad gas seal just isn't enough to cause a slower burning powder to be used up, especially under the standard 1 1/4 ounce load of steel shot and a slow burning powder just won't do that. It is also widely known that the vasy majority of the powder charge is burned up inside of the first 20 inches of a shotgun barrel and the velovity gained over say a 22" bbl with a 28" bbl is minimal. What you consider "minimal" is very likely different than what I consider minimal. In my chronographing of steel shot loads in the 12ga. and 10ga. the velocity loss from the standard 30" test barrel ... and from my own 30" barreled guns, was normally somewhere in the 7 to 10 fps. range for every inch shorter than 30" was the barrel. This was true in both a couple of 11/87's, where 2 different 30" barrels and 2 different 26" barrels were tested, in a pair of BPS12's, 3.5", and in my 28" barreled BPS12, 3.5" and from my two BPS10's ... one with a 30" barrel and the other a 26" barrel.


Now, when you consider that while there may be 30 to 40 fps. difference between the MV of a load shot from a 30" barreled gun and an identical, but for barrel length, 26" barreled gun, there may be only a 15 or 20 fps. difference between them at 40 yards. Is this minimal? Probably, but it's not due to the powder being nearly burned up .... it isn't. The pictures are evidence, not of neutral pressure, but of gases continue to expand from powder continuing to burn .... as is the difference in MV obtained from shorter and from longer barrels.

Here's a link to a powder burn rate chart. Steel powder is no. 66 on the chart. The only shotgun powders slower on the chart are those designed for the very small gauge shotguns like the 28 ga. and .410. What might have confused you about the burn rate is that what is a slow burn rate powder for a shotgun can be a relatively fast burn rate powder in a pistol or small caliber rifle, like a .22 Hornet.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Gotcha. I haven't reloaded for shotgun in many years. Have two old cast iron Herters presses that look as new as the day they were bolted to the bench, a Mec 950 and a mec jr. in the basement, just haven't touched them since, well, steel shot was made manditory...I have something like 200 pounds of copper plated BB shot alone and probably 75 pounds of 4's, 5's and 6's too...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby tripleb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:33 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Gotcha. I haven't reloaded for shotgun in many years. Have two old cast iron Herters presses that look as new as the day they were bolted to the bench, a Mec 950 and a mec jr. in the basement, just haven't touched them since, well, steel shot was made manditory...I have something like 200 pounds of copper plated BB shot alone and probably 75 pounds of 4's, 5's and 6's too...


That brings back memories. :lol3: I started loading on Herter's presses, both shotgun and C press for rifle/pistols, with their dies ... using their bullets and powder they imported.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:11 pm

dsm16428 wrote:No. You will get no more velocity or really any more swing advantage with a longer barrel. I hunt with a 24" SBE II and absolutely destroy geese with it.



X2 :thumbsup:

Best gun I've ever owned. It is one fast little sucker. I was talked into it by a buddy, and couldn't be more happy.


It will blow your eardrums out if your not careful.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: goose barrel length

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Gunnysway wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:No. You will get no more velocity or really any more swing advantage with a longer barrel. I hunt with a 24" SBE II and absolutely destroy geese with it.



X2 :thumbsup:

Best gun I've ever owned. It is one fast little sucker. I was talked into it by a buddy, and couldn't be more happy.


It will blow your eardrums out if your not careful.


Truth! No ported chokes in the layout lineup for this guy! As long as guys keep to their shooting lanes though, you should be good with even a 22" bbl like on the remmy sps series guns...if you had to. Still...wouldn't wana be sitting next to the guy with that that can't stay in his lane! With the extended choke, my SBE II bbl is actually about 25 1/2" long anyways.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am

You know it's loud when you ring your own ears. :lol3: I no longer use the Patternmaster due to this. I still wouldn't want any longer barrel though. It's a true extension of my body... and it's the best gun I've ever shouldered. I will say this though. My buddies would rather sit next to me than my other buddy who shoots a 28" Beretta, as he has a slight problem with lane assignment.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: goose barrel length

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Longer barrels means better swing through. Nothing more. My old Max was a 26 but my replacement is a 28. I'd shoot a 30 if they made a Max in it. My 26 was tough to shoot trap with. But for decoying work its great.
My buddy has a 36" goose gun, wow shot so many birds with that gun!

Sent from my layout blind
User avatar
Takeem406
hunter
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby Hunter06FLKY » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

I shot 2 limits of geese last week with my 870 with a 21 inch barrel and a Mod+ extended choke no problem with birds in the decoys. It's the only shotgun I have around town right now.

With that being said, I may be picking up an Xtrema 2 this next weekend I happened to find for a hell of a price.
Hunter06FLKY
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: goose barrel length

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 pm

IMO barrel length means nothing.... :biggrin:
It's all about the size of the load your shooting and how tight your choke is.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado

Re: goose barrel length

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:07 pm

shootable Goose wrote:IMO barrel length means nothing.... :biggrin:
It's all about the size of the load your shooting and how tight your choke is.


Replace a few choice words in that and you got some real funny right there. :clapping: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: goose barrel length

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 pm

dsm16428 wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:IMO barrel length means nothing.... :biggrin:
It's all about the size of the load your shooting and how tight your choke is.


Replace a few choice words in that and you got some real funny right there. :clapping: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was my intention... :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado


Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests